• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: The Lottery Day thread for the rest of us

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Edmonton will do this (because they are addicted to high picks like crack cocaine), but they could trade away that #4 pick for some immediate help. They are moving into a new building next season and they need to get closer to contending for the playoffs.

puckhead

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 33,861.66
Fav. Team #1
I am happy with #3. And Winnipeg is a team that might actually make a deal for #2 also. 12m in cap space. Feels like we could sell them on Forsberg, and a "Veteran D Man" plus someone like Rychel. They seem more likely to bite than a lot of teams would be. We wouldn't be able to sell Montreal or Buffalo as easily.
no one's trading a top 3.
WPG needs a franchise player as much as CBJ.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Leafs.

I am happy with #3. And Winnipeg is a team that might actually make a deal for #2 also. 12m in cap space. Feels like we could sell them on Forsberg, and a "Veteran D Man" plus someone like Rychel. They seem more likely to bite than a lot of teams would be. We wouldn't be able to sell Montreal or Buffalo as easily.

Alright, you bald Finnish fuckwit. I am placing it back in your hands. One will be great. Both will make me like you.

You will have to give WAAAYYY more than that to get #2 in this draft.

Something tells me you would have to say adios to Bjorkstrand if you want Winnipeg's #2 pick. He did play with Nic Petan in Portland so Winnipeg might be intrigued. Even if it doesn't happen, a pretty good night for Columbus.

Bjorkstrond doesn't even get the conversation started for #2 this year. Think Saad + a big piece (Murray)

Agreed. The Jets are staring a top line of Schiefele and Laine in the face. There are maybe 2 D-pairs in the league that will be able to deal with that 2-3 years from now. It'll take a huge package to walk away from that.

Toronto did really well here, obviously, but I think the Jets look the best moving forward.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently Ottawa is no longer a Canadian team.
Was I the only one that heard the Canadiens pick described as the first Canadian team pick?

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I spent half the night trying to convince people the Leafs should take Laine and the other half throwing up. I don't think I convinced anyone that they should pass on Matthews though and I don't think the Leafs will either.

This is massive for Toronto, but it is huge for Winnipeg and CBJ too. Those are all markets that need help attracting top talent and selling free agents on playing with a superstar goes a very, very long way toward that.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was I the only one that heard the Canadiens pick described as the first Canadian team pick?

No, I heard that as well, but it didn't register with me until you pointed it out, comeds. Another fine moment for Sportsnet.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still of the belief that if the forward the Flames are thinking of taking (Dubois or Tkachuk) are gone by the time pick 6 rolls around, I wouldn't be upset if BT calls Juolevi's name. Forwards are easier to obtain than defensemen and quite often fetch more in trades.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burke and Cheveldayoff as it is announced that the Flames move down a spot and the Jets win one of the top 3 lottery picks.

burke_cheveldayoff.jpg

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5fbf7316e2fa4605e1a5e0403b5e273c.jpg

Such pain drafting 4th overall. Oilers scouts and GM might actually have to do some work this off-season.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Edmonton will do this (because they are addicted to high picks like crack cocaine), but they could trade away that #4 pick for some immediate help. They are moving into a new building next season and they need to get closer to contending for the playoffs.

I have had my eye on Nuge for a while. Honestly, I would prefer to go that route, especially considering how abysmal Edmonton is on D. Tyutin and Johnson would both be upgrades. And they are two huge albatross' in Columbus.

But alas, the rumo(u)r is Jarmo wants both Finns. Toronto can end this mess by picking Laine.

But will Winnipeg trade theirs in a few years when they look for a fall guy?

Bjorkstrond doesn't even get the conversation started for #2 this year. Think Saad + a big piece (Murray)

Atkinson had roughly as many goals as Saad. How about him and Jones?

I am getting nervous about Jones re-signing/being offersheeted.

Actually Saad found himself on the 4th line often with Tortsy. Maybe they would move him.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have had my eye on Nuge for a while. Honestly, I would prefer to go that route, especially considering how abysmal Edmonton is on D. Tyutin and Johnson would both be upgrades. And they are two huge albatross' in Columbus.

But alas, the rumo(u)r is Jarmo wants both Finns. Toronto can end this mess by picking Laine.

But will Winnipeg trade theirs in a few years when they look for a fall guy?

Atkinson had roughly as many goals as Saad. How about him and Jones?

I am getting nervous about Jones re-signing/being offersheeted.

Actually Saad found himself on the 4th line often with Tortsy. Maybe they would move him.

Tyutin and Johnson do not have anywhere near the trade value that you seem to think they do. Even if you're negotiating with a bad GM.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I would be very surprised if any of the top three picks are moved (as for my Bjorkstrand related post last night, obviously he would be part of a 3-to-4 player package in order for the Jets to even consider it). That said, the Jets were having trouble filling all their seats at MTS Centre last season, I think Laine is just the guy to start a new sellout streak.

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That lottery system should be audited

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I expect the Oilers may trade down from 4. Trading down would allow them to get a good defenseman in the draft plus other players who can plug holes in their roster.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That lottery system should be audited

Did you know the Oilers were only one number away from winning it again?

Toronto won the lottery with the combination 6-8-5-13. That lucky 13 ball (Mats Sundin!) was the only one the Leafs had in the hopper for the fourth pull. Edmonton had two balls that would’ve given it the win, including the combination 6-8-5-14.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know the Oilers were only one number away from winning it again?

Toronto won the lottery with the combination 6-8-5-13.

3 of those 4 numbers are retired/honoured Leafs numbers.

As for Edmonton almost winning, the Leafs were a hair away from winning it last year so I think they're even now.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I would be very surprised if any of the top three picks are moved (as for my Bjorkstrand related post last night, obviously he would be part of a 3-to-4 player package in order for the Jets to even consider it). That said, the Jets were having trouble filling all their seats at MTS Centre last season, I think Laine is just the guy to start a new sellout streak.
Far as I'm concerned, it would take a Lindros-type haul in order for any of the top 3 to move their pick. All 3 top prospects are franchise guys. Name me a team that has traded one of those, either pre-draft or before they've really developed, who hasn't regretted the shit out of it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyutin and Johnson do not have anywhere near the trade value that you seem to think they do. Even if you're negotiating with a bad GM.

Your team actually got someone to trade for Phaneuf.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I know Johnson or Tyutin alone have little value. My main trade pieces are Milano, Rychel, Atkinson and, God Willing, Brandon Dubinsky.

If someone wants Atkinson or Rychel bad enough, we might be able to talk them into Jouhnson or Tyutin also. If Edmonton has decided that Nuge for sure doesn't fit their plans, Then I think 2 of the valuable pieces and Johnson might actually do it.

A lot of teams are high on Rychel, we need to deal him before anyone sees him skate.