• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Leonard Floyd Decision

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears have decision to make on Leonard Floyd - ProFootballTalk

The decision must be handed down by this upcoming Wednesday.

Personally, I don't think there's much of a "decision" here. We're talking about 13.2 million in cap space that we can either A) Give entirely to Leonard Floyd for the 2020 season. B) Immediately have at our disposal for this off-season.

Leonard Floyd should not be compensated as an elite edge LB. Especially when we don't have the luxury of a comfortable cap situation. An additional 13.2 mil towards the 2020 cap can buy us multiple upgrades (OG, TE, SS, etc.) in itself. We had roughly 27 mil in cap space before the Trevathan extension. An additional 13 mil actually gives us a relatively healthy sum to utilize on the rest of the roster. We could sign multiple big name FA's at our positions of need with that.

Leonard Floyd is a weird case. He was brought into be an edge rusher. He looked VERY competent during his rookie season and ever since he's gotten to the QB less and less.

Not only that, the concern with bringing in Floyd to be an OLB in a 3-4 were things like "Would he be a liability in pass defense when we need him to drop back?" or "Will he be able to set the edge against the run?"

Funny enough? The guy becomes an ASSET in those departments (more so in dropping back). Yet, he can't do what we brought him here for initially. RUSH THE PASSER. At least, not at a high level. Not in the least. Certainly not enough to warrant 13.2 mil for one season of production.

The team needs an edge opposite of Mack that can bring pressure. That became evident last year. There's upgrades available over Floyd in that department for a fraction of his 13.2 mil price tag.

Cut Floyd, recoup the 13.2 mil, use some of it on an edge who can rush the passer a bit and then you have the rest at your disposal. Along with the 27 mil in cap space that you started with. I don't think this is hard.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Floyd never put on the bulk that he needed to be a consistent edge rusher, IMO. I like the kid a lot, but unless they can re-structure his deal, he's prolly gotta go.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Floyd never put on the bulk that he needed to be a consistent edge rusher, IMO. I like the kid a lot, but unless they can re-structure his deal, he's prolly gotta go.

He's got one of those bodies where he probably could eat like a fat ass for a year and would barely gain any weight. We all know a few tall, long dudes like that. Most aren't trying to be an edge rusher in the NFL, though. lol

I would like Floyd as a rotational edge at a reasonable price. So long as you pair him with a good situational pass rusher. I just can't stomach giving him 13 mil, that's all.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was an article on SI recently that was stating we should extend Floyd...I guess we'll find out soon enough.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let Floyd walk. He underachieved every year he was here. Not a good pick for Pace.

I dont remember his name being called alot during laast season....Yeah, he can go.....

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest praise Floyd gets is that he's good against the run. But I think alot of his successes is simply a combination of scheme and him not being able to get a pass rush. Too bad we missed on Floyd. Cut your losses and move on.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, he is not worth what they will be paying him, but fer realz, it's perty ugly behind him on the depth chart.

Hence, the 13 additional mil in cap space to partly use on an edge.

You can get an upgrade in terms of "pass rusher" for a 1/3 of that and have some left over.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JPP had 8.5 sacks last year, for starters. He really has been extremely consistent with pressures/sacks over the past few years. At 31, no one is breaking the bank for him.

Robert Quinn has been underrated for a while. Bud Dupree should get a middling contract. Markus Golden is a high upside guy who will get less than he should due to an injury this past year. Hell, even Van Noy, Emmanuel Ogbah... it's not hard to find an upgrade from Floyd's anemic pass rushing ability while still having a big chunk of that 13 mil left over. Finding something even equal to that for 5 mil would be rather easy and would leave you 8.2 mil.

The fact that you don't have much behind him isn't excuse. That's the point of the off-season.

There's no justification for paying him 13.2 mil for one season of work. That's big time cash to a mediocre player when we have other more pressing needs.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JPP had 8.5 sacks last year, for starters. He really has been extremely consistent with pressures/sacks over the past few years. At 31, no one is breaking the bank for him.

Robert Quinn has been underrated for a while. Bud Dupree should get a middling contract. Markus Golden is a high upside guy who will get less than he should due to an injury this past year. Hell, even Van Noy, Emmanuel Ogbah... it's not hard to find an upgrade from Floyd's anemic pass rushing ability while still having a big chunk of that 13 mil left over. Finding something even equal to that for 5 mil would be rather easy and would leave you 8.2 mil.

The fact that you don't have much behind him isn't excuse. That's the point of the off-season.

There's no justification for paying him 13.2 mil for one season of work. That's big time cash to a mediocre player when we have other more pressing needs.

Never said it was. Just said it adds to the dilemma in general, and that that currently, we have nothing else.