• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The Joel Embiid for Rookie of the Year thread

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after 2 long years, Joel Embiid is finally playing professional basketball. And so far he's looking pretty darn good.

His per 36 minutes stats are eye popping. 30 points. 10 rebounds. 5 blocks.

Of course he is only playing 22 minutes a game right now as the Sixers have him on a minute restriction.

Of course not all is rosy as he is fouling a lot(4.9 per 36) and turning the ball over(7 per 36). But with more experience he is likely to improve a lot in both areas.

When Simmons returns, Embiid should have significantly improved his on court discipline and he is likely to really enjoy getting feeds from Simmons.

Of course none of this has equated into any actual wins for the Sixers. That speaks to their absolute dearth at the wing and guard. They really need to address that.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TRUST THE PROCESS! *CLAP* *CLAP* *CLAPCLAPCLAP* TRUST THE PROCESS!

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has certainly helped Philly keep the games interesting at the very least. As for ROY, obviously if he can sustain this pace with added minutes but for now, he looks good.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has certainly helped Philly keep the games interesting at the very least. As for ROY, obviously if he can sustain this pace with added minutes but for now, he looks good.

At this point he doesn't need the added minutes to get it. 2nd in BPG and leading the league in 3 point shooting%. That's the thing that's been very scary to think about when watching him play. I couldn't find a site that would give me a shot chart that would load, but his he's hitting his jumpers. The areas he's struggling with is finishing around the rim.

NBA.com/Stats

I don't know about projecting out to 36 because there's some other factors. Every play he tries to guard three people and does it very well, but with added time does he become less active on that end and try and conserve some energy? The turnovers and fouls, some of them are of the offensive variety and double count. Also, is he being more aggressive because of the limits restrictions? That being said, he's picked up a lot of weak fouls, especially early on with some guys flopping on him. Either way, there's very little to get excited about with the lineup they sixers are putting out right now, but man does he look great out there (miscues included). Still amazing to think he hasn't played that much basketball in his life. And with that, I shall continue watching the game I know they lose horribly. I have to stop with my box score watching with them at work. Just can't help it, though.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Simmons out and no other rookie really playing well, Embiid is a virtual lock for ROY if he continues just at this pace. I think Kris Dunn might eventually make some noise if Rubio is moved, but other than that, Ingram would probably be a distant 3rd.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So after 2 long years, Joel Embiid is finally playing professional basketball. And so far he's looking pretty darn good.

Of course he is only playing 22 minutes a game right now as the Sixers have him on a minute restriction.

Of course not all is rosy as he is fouling a lot(4.9 per 36) and turning the ball over(7 per 36). But with more experience he is likely to improve a lot in both areas.

When Simmons returns, Embiid should have significantly improved his on court discipline and he is likely to really enjoy getting feeds from Simmons.

Of course none of this has equated into any actual wins for the Sixers. That speaks to their absolute dearth at the wing and guard. They really need to address that.
Watching Embiid this year hes the closest to Shaq ive seen yet! He can pass, he can dribble half court, Ive seen him make some 3's. Hes got finesse, he knows how to use his length. Hes also a mountain of a man. He will be the best center Shortly IMO.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Robert Covington, who i praised his play recently, has been on absolute fire. That kid can play. He just needs to find his way in the offense on a very young team. But Ive seen him handle the ball well, his shooting is okay, his passing is average, makes good decisions, and his defense is upper echelon. Look at his last ten games numbers since Embiid has been benched. Hes on a roll.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching Embiid this year hes the closest to Shaq ive seen yet! He can pass, he can dribble half court, Ive seen him make some 3's. Hes got finesse, he knows how to use his length. Hes also a mountain of a man. He will be the best center Shortly IMO.
Embiid is a monster.

He is probably already the best center in the East---- id take him over Drummond without a 2nd thought.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trash rookie class + Embiid destroying humans = start engraving his name into the ROY award, ITS OVAAAA. It's been ova.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trash rookie class + Embiid destroying humans = start engraving his name into the ROY award, ITS OVAAAA. It's been ova.

What's interesting is if Simmons does play and plays along the lines of how he looked in pre-season, the Sixers could have the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finisher in ROY.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's interesting is if Simmons does play and plays along the lines of how he looked in pre-season, the Sixers could have the 1st, 2nd and 3rd place finisher in ROY.

And if things go as projected -- they could get 2 out of the top 5-6 picks this coming draft -- and they would get their new backcourt. (if the Lakers stay out of the top 3) Fultz and Monk/Smith/Jackson would great pieces.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Robert Covington, who i praised his play recently, has been on absolute fire. That kid can play. He just needs to find his way in the offense on a very young team. But Ive seen him handle the ball well, his shooting is okay, his passing is average, makes good decisions, and his defense is upper echelon. Look at his last ten games numbers since Embiid has been benched. Hes on a roll.

his defense has been great this year. he came onto the team as a guy that shoots 3's. As it were, he seems to be a bit of a streaky shoot there, when he's on he's on, when he's off.. He's started cutting more to the hoop without the ball which is nice. One of the things he's gotten better at as the season has progressed has been driving (though I still hate to watch him do it, as he usually dribbles himself into a charge). Can't know

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if things go as projected -- they could get 2 out of the top 5-6 picks this coming draft -- and they would get their new backcourt. (if the Lakers stay out of the top 3) Fultz and Monk/Smith/Jackson would great pieces.

It'd be nice but the lottery is still wide open at this point. You have the nets and then you can go 2-16 (last two playoff teams are .449 and .460, not a lot of separation between them. I'm just hoping to see continued improvement, hopefully with the Kings trending downward and getting the pick swap with them in the top 4 (ideally top 3, with the lakers picking at 4).

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It'd be nice but the lottery is still wide open at this point. You have the nets and then you can go 2-16 (last two playoff teams are .449 and .460, not a lot of separation between them. I'm just hoping to see continued improvement, hopefully with the Kings trending downward and getting the pick swap with them in the top 4 (ideally top 3, with the lakers picking at 4).

I don't think the Lakers would have the pick at #4. It is "top 3 protected" -- so if it is 4 or greater -- it goes to the Sixers.

This is one of the reasons that some folks think the Lakers are shooting themselves in the foot ... Lou Williams and vets are helping them stay out of the top 3 ... which is counterproductive.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the Lakers would have the pick at #4. It is "top 3 protected" -- so if it is 4 or greater -- it goes to the Sixers.

This is one of the reasons that some folks think the Lakers are shooting themselves in the foot ... Lou Williams and vets are helping them stay out of the top 3 ... which is counterproductive.

I just also realized that if the Lakers send their first round pick to the Sixers in the next draft -- then they also lose their first round pick in 2019 to Orlando. If the Lakers keep their pick in the coming draft, then they lose two 2nd round picks to Orland instead.

This makes it even more important that the Lakers get a Top 3 pick in the upcoming draft. (it costs them two first round picks)