• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The future potential of 2020's projected playoff teams from worst to best:

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please talk basketball and don't get involved with jerks in my threads alright? I don't like jerks continuously ruining threads here and none should bite and help them...
a self-hater, huh?

buckalis

Trainer of Don Diego de la Vega
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly, I wasn't paying much attention to the Raptors youth potential until the game against the Bucks yesterday where I was pleased by their talent and given the team's current status, I can't but advance them higher.

Therefore the NBA future power rankings should now look like this:

1. The Boston Celtics: (Future potential:Bright)

2.The Milwaukee Bucks: (Future potential:Bright)

3. Memphis Grizzlies: (Future potential: Bright)

4. New Orleans Pelicans: (Future potential: Bright)

5. Miami Heat: (Future potential: Bright)

6. Charlotte Hornets: (Future potential: Bright)

7. Dallas Mavericks: (Future potential: Great)

8. Utah Jazz: (Future potential: Great)

9. OKC Thunder: (Future potential: Great)

10. The Toronto Raptors: (Future potential: Good)

11. Minnesota Timberwolves: (Future potential: Good)

12. Atlanta Hawks: (Future potential: Good)

13. The Los Angeles Clippers: (Future potential: Good)

14. Detroit Pistons: (Future potential: Promising)

15. The Washington Wizards: (Future potential: Promising)

16. Golden State Warriors: (Future potential: Promising)

17. The Indiana Pacers: (Future potential: Promising)

18. Brooklyn Nets: (Future potential: Promising)

19. The Chicago Bulls: (Future potential: Uncertain)

20. The Orlando Magic: (Future potential: Uncertain)

21. The Denver Nuggets: (Future potential: Uncertain)

22. Cleveland Cavaliers: (Future potential: Uncertain)

23. Sacramento Kings: (Future potential: Uncertain)

24. Philadelphia 76ers: (Future potential: Poor)

25. The Los Angeles Lakers: (Future potential: Poor)

26. Phoenix Suns: (Future potential: Cloudy):

27. New York Knicks: (Future potential: Cloudy)

28. The Houston Rockets: (Future potential: Cloudy)

29. The Portland Trail Blazers: (Future potential:Bad)

30. San Antonio Spurs: (Future potential:Bad)

Gman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,330.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wholeheartedly approve of this thread.

giphy.gif

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Olandipo is back, looks healthy and although he isn't to up to his previous standards yet, he's playing well and looks to continuously improve.

The Pacers have a talented and young roster locked in affordable contracts for many seasons to come and their financials allow for further improvements, therefore should be now be ranked higher.

14. The Indiana Pacers: (Future potential: Good)

15. Detroit Pistons: (Future potential: Promising)

16. The Washington Wizards: (Future potential: Promising)

17. Golden State Warriors: (Future potential: Promising)

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Admittedly, I wasn't paying much attention to the Raptors youth potential until the game against the Bucks yesterday where I was pleased by their talent and given the team's current status, I can't but advance them higher.

14. Detroit Pistons: (Future potential: Promising)

15. The Washington Wizards: (Future potential: Promising)

16. Golden State Warriors: (Future potential: Promising)

17. The Indiana Pacers: (Future potential: Promising)

What about Detroit encourages you?

Sekou? Christian Wood? This team sucks

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Wizards are even worse. They have the worst contract in basketball, a star in Beal who is having his prime years wasted and a couple decent prospects, but absolutely nothing to be excited about.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The future power rankings are obviously irrelevant to a team which is indeed "sucking" as of today...

Yes, both Wood and Doumbouya I believe have lots of potential ahead of them, but Kennard too...

Wood, I already know from the Bucks... he made it to the 15 of the roster and the Bucks wanted to keep him for this season too, but we had to waive him, because the team ended up a small amount into the lux tax (some 200K) and this should be avoided, not for the tax it caused, but because it would be a year less before the Bucks hit the repeaters tax after they resign Giannis (and enter the lux tax because of it).

Sekou, I think will prove to be the "steal" of this past draft... He is still raw, but has an amazing body and is very athletic. I believe him being in the hands of Casey, is a godsend for the Pistons. He reminds me a lot of Giannis in his early days, he sometimes does some things that are just amazing...

Kennard is obviously a solid talent who has a lot of upside.

The Pistons otoh, have improved financials for next season and they have many experienced and solid veteran role players in their roster... Again, with Casey there, who has already proved with the Raps that he can develop young talent fast (Siakam, Van Vleet, Anunoby), I believe they will again draft well this season and will add more young talent which will lead them to be fully ready when the time comes to part with Griffin and address the leadership of the team to Sekou thereafter.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Wizards are even worse. They have the worst contract in basketball, a star in Beal who is having his prime years wasted and a couple decent prospects, but absolutely nothing to be excited about.

Again, this is the situation as of today, but Wall is expected back for next season, they where able to keep Beal and seem to have good relations with him, the have picked very well on Hutchimoura and also looks that they are confident they will resign and extend Bertans...

They have corrected their financials too and have timed them well with Wall's contract, so that they can afford to offer Beal too a supermax I therefore believe that there is light at the end of the tunnel they were forced into during the previous season.

Clearly, their advantage over other mediocre at the moment teams (like the Bulls for instance) is that they have a leader, while other teams are still looking to find a true one.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, this is the situation as of today, but Wall is expected back for next season, they where able to keep Beal and seem to have good relations with him, the have picked very well on Hutchimoura and also looks that they are confident they will resign and extend Bertans...

They have corrected their financials too and have timed them well with Wall's contract, so that they can afford to offer Beal too a supermax I therefore believe that there is light at the end of the tunnel they were forced into during the previous season.

Clearly, their advantage over other mediocre at the moment teams (like the Bulls for instance) is that they have a leader, while other teams are still looking to find a true one.

That is just it though.

Even if Wall gets back to 80% of what he was, they are a first round playoff exit at best.

The culture is bad because Wall is a poor leader and if he isn’t playing at an all star level, I worry it will become even worse.

Their future is easily bottom 5 because there is no upside here. To have them ranked above the Lakers is a joke.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is just it though.

Even if Wall gets back to 80% of what he was, they are a first round playoff exit at best.

The culture is bad because Wall is a poor leader and if he isn’t playing at an all star level, I worry it will become even worse.

Their future is easily bottom 5 because there is no upside here. To have them ranked above the Lakers is a joke.

What is the secured future of the Lakers? Can you enlighten us with your crystal ball? What the witch in your neighborhood predicts?

I know, I know... they will buy Hutchimoura and Bertans, keep AD, they will get Giannis out of free agency and Middleton will ask out to join Giannis, Lebron will play for another 10 seasons and the team will win 20 consecutive championships... ain't it?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the secured future of the Lakers? Can you enlighten us with your crystal ball? What the witch in your neighborhood predicts?

I know, I know... they will buy Hutchimoura and Bertans, keep AD, they will get Giannis out of free agency and Middleton will ask out to join Giannis, Lebron will play for another 10 seasons and the team will win 20 consecutive championships... ain't it?

They will resign AD and they have a market to attract another star if they free up cap space.

That automatically puts them ahead of at least 25 teams.

Superstars are the building blocks of contending teams. Most of the teams you list ahead of the Lakers don’t have one, and lack a realistic pathway to landing one.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They will resign AD and they have a market to attract another star if they free up cap space.

That automatically puts them ahead of at least 25 teams.

Superstars are the building blocks of contending teams. Most of the teams you list ahead of the Lakers don’t have one, and lack a realistic pathway to landing one.

This is "secured" future for the Lakers, or is it "crystal ball" future?

Obviously you confuse "power rankings" with the "crystal ball predictions" your unstable mind dreams of...

If it happens like you say and it's a fact, then I will advance them in the future power rankings as I've done with any other team whenever a positive of negative development becomes evident...

In the mean time, try to change that stupid attitude of yours and look to become able to have a conversation which will help you advance from your ignorance...

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Obviously you confuse "power rankings" with the "crystal ball predictions" your unstable mind dreams of...

If it happens like you say and it's a fact, then I will advance them in the future power rankings as I've done with any other team whenever a positive of negative development becomes evident...

In the mean time, try to change that stupid attitude of yours and look to become able to have a conversation which will help you advance from your ignorance...

What I am saying is that Anthony Davis + 14 empty roster spots is better than what most NBA rosters have in terms of their “future”.

Call it what you want. At least half the teams you rank ahead of the Lakers have a mediocre future at best. I would venture to guess that at least 3 or 4 of those teams will never even make the playoffs with their current cores.

so yes, the Lakers future is a lot brighter than what you claim despite the uncertainty. Because they have Anthony Davis.

Just like Milwaukee’s future is bright. Because they have Giannis.

Shane_O_Mac812

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,999.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please talk basketball and don't get involved with jerks in my threads alright? I don't like jerks continuously ruining threads here and none should bite and help them...
This guy has got to be on the spectrum right??? Right???

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get what you're trying to say and to a certain extent, you are correct.

The Lakers "secured future" is based on who they have under contract right now and for how long.

The only players that the Lakers currently have signed beyond next season are Lebron (who will have a player option of just over $41 million), the final $5 million of Luol Deng's stretched contract, Kuzma (qualifying offer of just over $5 million) and Talen Horton-Tucker (qualifying offer of just under $2 million).

So looking strictly at who is signed beyond next season, the Lakers don't look to have much to point at.

However, and this is where you analysis comes up short, any look at a teams future is always part "secured future" and part "crystal ball future". That's the case because of how players are structuring their deals (2-4 years deals with the 2nd, 3rd or 4th year being player options), where they are the life of their contract and the likelihood they will stay.

For example, after Lebron returned to Cleveland, he signed a series of 2 year deals with player options after the 1st year. So, from a strictly "secured future" perspective, the Cavs would have rated "poor" every year.

However, if you mix "crystal ball future" in with it, you could then say..."Lebron is likely to continue to sign 2 year deals with player option so that makes their future brighter".

In the case of AD, there has been literally nothing to indicate that he will do anything other than re-sign with the Lakers. So, if you add "crystal ball future" to the mix, you can then say, as @tlance did, that the Lakers future is better than poor because they will have a top 5 player in a desirable market to attract other players.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Lakers "secured future" is based on who they have under contract right now and for how long.

The only players that the Lakers currently have signed beyond next season are Lebron (who will have a player option of just over $41 million), the final $5 million of Luol Deng's stretched contract, Kuzma (qualifying offer of just over $5 million) and Talen Horton-Tucker (qualifying offer of just under $2 million).

So looking strictly at who is signed beyond next season, the Lakers don't look to have much to point at.

However, and this is where you analysis comes up short, any look at a teams future is always part "secured future" and part "crystal ball future". That's the case because of how players are structuring their deals (2-4 years deals with the 2nd, 3rd or 4th year being player options), where they are the life of their contract and the likelihood they will stay.

For example, after Lebron returned to Cleveland, he signed a series of 2 year deals with player options after the 1st year. So, from a strictly "secured future" perspective, the Cavs would have rated "poor" every year.

However, if you mix "crystal ball future" in with it, you could then say..."Lebron is likely to continue to sign 2 year deals with player option so that makes their future brighter".

In the case of AD, there has been literally nothing to indicate that he will do anything other than re-sign with the Lakers. So, if you add "crystal ball future" to the mix, you can then say, as @tlance did, that the Lakers future is better than poor because they will have a top 5 player in a desirable market to attract other players.

Not to mention, teams like Charlotte, Washington, Detroit, Chicago and many others listed above them may have some decent talent, but a low ceiling because they lack that superstar player and they don’t have a likely avenue of landing one anytime soon.

And to me, a future with an upside capped at about 45 wins is pretty miserable. And I will take the crystal ball future with uncertain possibility of greatness any time over hovering near league average. Which is where a lot of these teams are heading.

buckalis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nothing really to disagree with... We both agree that with only AD secured, limited picks and assets in stock (if not only Kuzma) and ...11 empty roster spots of yet unknown potential, the Lakers are placed correct where they are in the future power rankings and if a new development surfaces, then a revision is in order...

We also agree that "crystal ball predictions" cannot be valued or be taken into account for any team...