• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The funny thing about the fire Haslett mindset

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
80% of snaps against the pass they are rushing the QB. Or in other words ...

they drop into coverage 10 out of 50 plays.

OLB in a 34 are asked to do that occasionally in order to allow a safety to blitz

Its this versatility & variety to use multiple rushers that makes the 34 so confusing for QB to read coverages.

You could argue we need better execution from the LB in getting penetration/coverage, or better execution from DL getting pressure, or better execution for the secondary in coverage/penetration ...

but the scheme is sound. 8 of the top 10 defenses are 34.

however the skins OLB's are amongst the highest in being in coverage and they are asked to set the edge which also inhibits their pass rush

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooo.. just a show of hands. How many of you are going to go from elated and filled with hope over the Gruden hire, to pissed off, mad and proclaiming things a complete and utter failure if Haslett is retained??

Just curious?? :cool2::cool2:

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sooo.. just a show of hands. How many of you are going to go from elated and filled with hope over the Gruden hire, to pissed off, mad and proclaiming things a complete and utter failure if Haslett is retained??

Just curious?? :cool2::cool2:

i will bash the retaining of haslett period

however that is only a piece of the gruden puzzle and all positions are not filled so i wouldnt go off the deep end and go to the land of doom and gloom :suds:

now if the roles are reversed what would be your position?

enkay21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck?

Since when is having a defense in the 12-20 range something that someone should hope for. I want a top 10 defense minimum, consistently. Shark, you're arguing to retain Haslett and pointing at the offense giveaways this year as one of the reasons the defense struggled. Look at the man's track record, it is BELOW average - consistently. The 'Skins were 25th in +/-, sure, but they gave up nearly 30 PPG. The 6 teams with a worse +/- than the 'Skins in 2013 gave up less PPG - it's pathetic on our defense's part and it starts at the top.

I feel like you're arguing the status-quo and are afraid of change on this one. The man has never had a good defense.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What the fuck?

Since when is having a defense in the 12-20 range something that someone should hope for. I want a top 10 defense minimum, consistently. Shark, you're arguing to retain Haslett and pointing at the offense giveaways this year as one of the reasons the defense struggled. Look at the man's track record, it is BELOW average - consistently. The 'Skins were 25th in +/-, sure, but they gave up nearly 30 PPG. The 6 teams with a worse +/- than the 'Skins in 2013 gave up less PPG - it's pathetic on our defense's part and it starts at the top.

I feel like you're arguing the status-quo and are afraid of change on this one. The man has never had a good defense.

Actually its average consistently. there are 32 teams in the NFL. Not every one of them can field a top ten defense. But we can make the change and hope a complete change wont end up worse.

And Skinsdad, if we hire a rookie DC I figure it will just be business as usual and fans will blame the defense for our 4-12 finish. Im just not seeing us hiring a DC thats better than Haslett since there isnt one available currently.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I care about is the Redskins as a whole and a return to winning ways. I remain cautiously optimistic and will hope for the best for the only team I can love.

I'll wait to see the performance on the field. The ultimate test of success or failure.

Whoever sets them on that track, be it Larry, Curly, or Moe, I'm all in.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually its average consistently. there are 32 teams in the NFL. Not every one of them can field a top ten defense. But we can make the change and hope a complete change wont end up worse.

And Skinsdad, if we hire a rookie DC I figure it will just be business as usual and fans will blame the defense for our 4-12 finish. Im just not seeing us hiring a DC thats better than Haslett since there isnt one available currently.

you dont know that The bengals guy could be

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you dont know that The bengals guy could be

And he could be the defensive equivalent of Jim Zorn. Unless I missed something I figure you would understand the concept of the devil you know.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he could be the defensive equivalent of Jim Zorn. Unless I missed something I figure you would understand the concept of the devil you know.

nobody knew about gibbs , no one knew about lombardi . so why is it a given that some rookie dc or for that matter any dc is doomed to fail ?

lou spanos could be a good choice

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
nobody knew about gibbs , no one knew about lombardi . so why is it a given that some rookie dc or for that matter any dc is doomed to fail ?

lou spanos could be a good choice

gibbs also didnt come in and start off with a rookie OC and DC. Smart teams just DONT do that. You know it and I know it. Total change usually ends up looking like the Raiders.

Sharkinva

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And just so you know. I think we fired the wrong coach for the wrong reason. But you dont then compound one mistake by making another one. Massive change on both sides of the ball usually leads to failure.