• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The everpresent 10 Album List.....

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
eminem show, marshall mathers lp, slim shady lp - eminem
k.o.d - tech n9ne
...and then there was x - dmx
college drop out- kanye west
devil without a cause, cocky, history of rock - kid rock
audioslave's first cd

yeah, im a gangsta :rolleyes:

Eminem and NWA would make my top 20 for sure. PE is top 12 (Nation of Millions).

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was going to do an all-rap one:

Eminem - Slim Shady LP (whatever the first one was)
RBL Posse - Ruthless By Law Posse (Self Titled)
Dre Dog - I Hate You With A Passion
Dre Dog - The New Jim Jones
Warren G - Regulate (G Funk Era)
Mac Dre - Thizzelle Washington
Mac Dre - Heart of a Gangsta, Mind of a Hustla, Tongue of a Pimp
Slick Rick - The Great Adventures of Slick Rick
Doggystyle - Snoop Doggy Dogg
Dr. Dre - The Chronic

If it's all hiphop:

1. PE -- It Takes a Nation Of Millions
2. NWA -- Straight Outta Compton
3. Dr. Dre -- The Chronic
4. De La Soul -- De La Soul Is Dead
5. DJ Quik -- Quik Is The Name
6. Eminem -- The Eminem Show
7. E-40 -- In A Major Way
8. Digital Underground -- Sex Packets
9. TuPac -- All Eyez On Me
10. Tribe Called Quest -- Lower End Theory

I dare ANYONE to come up with a better list.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's all hiphop:

1. PE -- It Takes a Nation Of Millions
2. NWA -- Straight Outta Compton
3. Dr. Dre -- The Chronic
4. De La Soul -- De La Soul Is Dead
5. DJ Quik -- Quik Is The Name
6. Eminem -- The Eminem Show
7. E-40 -- In A Major Way
8. Digital Underground -- Sex Packets
9. TuPac -- All Eyez On Me
10. Tribe Called Quest -- Lower End Theory

I dare ANYONE to come up with a better list.

That's a damn good list, and it is "better" than mine as far as the critics would say. But I'd still take my list anyday :D

That list would be epic though if you were to swap out #1 on the list with Doggystyle from Snoop Dogg.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised we haven't seen any Biggie. "Ready to Die" should've definitely made it's way onto my list.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm surprised we haven't seen any Biggie. "Ready to Die" should've definitely made it's way onto my list.

He had talent for sure, but I was never a big fan of biggie. I always liked Tupac better. I think Tupac was the best rapper of all time, but I just usually listened to him on the radio. Only CD of his I ever bought was the two disc set. Come to think of it, I used to really like Bone-Thugz-N-Harmony too.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He had talent for sure, but I was never a big fan of biggie. I always liked Tupac better. I think Tupac was the best rapper of all time, but I just usually listened to him on the radio. Only CD of his I ever bought was the two disc set. Come to think of it, I used to really like Bone-Thugz-N-Harmony too.

West Coast Bias! :). Seriously though, for his entire body of work Tupac was/is? :-))) the better rapper. "All Eyez on Me" should've been on everyone's list (good call, tzill), but I definitely dropped the ball on ignoring Biggie Smalls (in mansion and Benz, giving ends to my friends and it feels stupendous). Interesting to note very little Bay Area rap. I had Hiero. Filo had Mac Dre and tzill had E-40, but no Souls of Mischief, Too Short or Andre Nickatina. I know Colin would throw in some Busta or Leaders of the New School (which certainly have albums that deserve consideration).

Speaking of Bone Thungs and Biggie, they have one of the best rap tunes ever in "Notorious Thugs." You know they still tour? Krazy... Bone.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
West Coast Bias! :). Seriously though, for his entire body of work Tupac was/is? :-))) the better rapper. "All Eyez on Me" should've been on everyone's list (good call, tzill), but I definitely dropped the ball on ignoring Biggie Smalls (in mansion and Benz, giving ends to my friends and it feels stupendous). Interesting to note very little Bay Area rap. I had Hiero. Filo had Mac Dre and tzill had E-40, but no Souls of Mischief, Too Short or Andre Nickatina. I know Colin would throw in some Busta or Leaders of the New School (which certainly have albums that deserve consideration).

Speaking of Bone Thungs and Biggie, they have one of the best rap tunes ever in "Notorious Thugs." You know they still tour? Krazy... Bone.

Dre Dog = Andre Nickatina (I just liked his earlier stuff better even though I have multiple Nickatina albums). If you haven't heard of Dre Dog but you like Andre Nickatina, you HAVE to get your hands on either "the New Jim Jones" (Smoke Dope and Rap is my favorite rap song ever) or "I Hate You With a Passion", they are awesome albums.

Also, RBL Posse is from Hunters Point, just one of them is dead Mista C was shot down in the early 90's. I love me some bay area rap ;-)

I also like IMP (Ill Mannered Playas) and Cellski (both of these guys are somewhere in SF I believe).

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dre Dog = Andre Nickatina (I just liked his earlier stuff better even though I have multiple Nickatina albums). If you haven't heard of Dre Dog but you like Andre Nickatina, you HAVE to get your hands on either "the New Jim Jones" (Smoke Dope and Rap is my favorite rap song ever) or "I Hate You With a Passion", they are awesome albums.

Also, RBL Posse is from Hunters Point, just one of them is dead Mista C was shot down in the early 90's. I love me some bay area rap ;-)

I also like IMP (Ill Mannered Playas) and Cellski (both of these guys are somewhere in SF I believe).

I will have to check out early Nickatina under another name. I feel whiter than usual. Also, I neglected tzill's Digital Underground pick. I think they're from Oakland. I guess the Bay Area was well-repped in our selections. Keepin' it hyphy. :cool:... :L... :)

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a damn good list, and it is "better" than mine as far as the critics would say. But I'd still take my list anyday :D

That list would be epic though if you were to swap out #1 on the list with Doggystyle from Snoop Dogg.

Nation of Millions is largely considered to be the most important hiphop/rap album ever made. You know who I left off, and I can't believe it?

Swap out De La Soul for Ice Cube -- Predator.

Predator, Straight Outta Compton, and Nation of Millions are the three seminal hiphop albums of all time.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nation of Millions is largely considered to be the most important hiphop/rap album ever made. You know who I left off, and I can't believe it?

Predator, Straight Outta Compton, and Nation of Millions are the three seminal hiphop albums of all time.

tzill, I meant "critically acclaimed" more in the sense of importance and popularity. Nation of Millions is a very big album in terms of importance and influence. I just didn't think (and I could be wrong on this) that it was as popular record selling wise. I was very young, so I could be way wrong. I still have a tape of Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age. ;-)

Predator is an amazing album. Wouldn't crack my top 10 albums, but it should be damn near a poll taken on rap top 10 albums. Good choice.

Last edited by a moderator:

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If we're talking Yay Area hiphop, I want to point out that I included Digitial Underground. However, for my money the best ever in the Bay was/is Paris. And he went to Lowell.

Also of note: Luniz, Disposable Heros of HipHoprisy, and Hammer.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Touche. I was going to put on "Predator" instead of "Straight Outta Compton," but then I figured I'd have to make room for "Eazy-Duz-It." Kind of killed two birds with one stone. Though, you're right, "Predator" changed my life. I've never looked at rich, white people the same since that album. "Walkin', walkin' in my big, black boots. The KKK has got three-piece suits!"

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tzill, I meant "critically acclaimed" more in the sense of importance and popularity. Nation of Millions is a very big album in terms of importance and influence. I just didn't think (and I could be wrong on this) that it was as popular record selling wise. I was very young, so I could be way wrong. I still have a tape of Muse Sick-N-Hour Mess Age. ;-)

Predator is an amazing album. Wouldn't crack my top 10 albums, but it should be damn near a poll taken on rap top 10 albums. Good choice.

Nation of Millions was platinum (as were Fear of a Black Planet and Apocalypse 91) and had perhaps the best known PE song of all time -- don't/don't, don't/don't believe the hype. Also on that album: Bring the Noise, Night of the Living Baseheads, Black Steel in The Hour of Chaos, and my personal favorite: Cold Lampin' With Flavor.

Predator had Wicked (featuring perhaps the most sampled song of all time), Dirty Mac, Don't Trust 'Em (Steely Dan sample!!), It Was A Good Day, and Check Yo Self. I could entertain an argument that Death Certificate was a better album, though.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my list:

1. Superunknown, Soundgarden
2. Check Your Head, Beastie Boys
3. KEoAAHEo (Pslam 69), Ministry
4. Tales From the Punchbowl, Primus
5. Thriller, Michael Jackson
6. Badmotorfinger, Soundgarden
7. Ill Communication, Beastie Boys
8. Pet Sounds, Beach Boys
9. Californication, Red Hot Chili Peppers
10. Homogenic, Bjork

It would be hard not to include Rage Against the Machine though.

Two hours from anywhere one actually wants to be
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so I am an old guy

1. Alchemy- Dire Straits (OK it is 2 CD's)
2. Joshua Tree- U2
3. Marc Cohn- Marc Cohn (1991)
4. Boston- Boston
5. Let It Bleed- Rolling Stones
6. Blood on the Tracks- Bob Dylan
7. Thriller- Michael Jackson
8. Who's Next- The Who
9. Born in the USA- Springsteen
10. Creedence Clearwater Revival- CCR

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my list:

1. Superunknown, Soundgarden
2. Check Your Head, Beastie Boys
3. KEoAAHEo (Pslam 69), Ministry
4. Tales From the Punchbowl, Primus
5. Thriller, Michael Jackson
6. Badmotorfinger, Soundgarden
7. Ill Communication, Beastie Boys
8. Pet Sounds, Beach Boys
9. Californication, Red Hot Chili Peppers
10. Homogenic, Bjork

It would be hard not to include Rage Against the Machine though.

Funny, Off The Wall almost made my list. If I were going to include my Jewish bruddahs from Brooklyn, I'd take Licensed To Ill. The Peppers joint is a good call.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, so I am an old guy

1. Alchemy- Dire Straits (OK it is 2 CD's)
2. Joshua Tree- U2
3. Marc Cohn- Marc Cohn (1991)
4. Boston- Boston
5. Let It Bleed- Rolling Stones
6. Blood on the Tracks- Bob Dylan
7. Thriller- Michael Jackson
8. Who's Next- The Who
9. Born in the USA- Springsteen
10. Creedence Clearwater Revival- CCR

That is a GREAT fucking list, I must say. I'd take Brothers In Arms, War, and Don't Look Back in 1, 2, and 4 and Off The Wall in 7, but otherwise I keep all your other picks. I saw John Fogerty at the Hollywood Bowl last July 4th....the man was amazing.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a GREAT fucking list, I must say. I'd take Brothers In Arms, War, and Don't Look Back in 1, 2, and 4 and Off The Wall in 7, but otherwise I keep all your other picks. I saw John Fogerty at the Hollywood Bowl last July 4th....the man was amazing.

+1. Well played, Stokesy and iHate. All of these great lists are making me re-think mine. Filo, can't we just bring everyone's top 10 to this deserted island? :). Can't believe I left off "License to Ill." I'm so disappointed in myself. ;). "Now, here's a little story I gotsta tell about three bad brothers, you know so well..."

gp956

The Hammer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you were on a desert island and you could only choose 10 EP or LP Albums, which ones would you take? All that will be on the island is a salt-water powered CD player that does not have a radio function.....or if it does it's broken and no reception will be on the island.

Alright gents, I like doing these to try and find new/good music out there. Here are the rules:

1.) No double disc albums or boxed sets
2.) No cheating by saying "I-Pod"
3.) No Mixed CD's or bootlegs

Whodoya got?

Well, assuming I'm going to spend a lot of time looking for food and building capital resources (he he), I chose these 10 Albums as those that contain interesting tracks that could serve as my personal background music in my own little Castaway movie.

1 (), sigur ros
2 Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain, Mono and World's End Girlfriend
3 The Doors, The Doors
4 The Beast, Mogwai
5 Days Of Future Passed, Moody Blues
6 Avalon, Roxy Music
7 Emerson, Lake & Palmer, ELP
8 Texas Flood, Stevie Ray Vaughan
9 Disraeli Gears, Cream
10 Tales from Topographic Oceans, Yes

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, assuming I'm going to spend a lot of time looking for food and building capital resources (he he), I chose these 10 Albums as those that contain interesting tracks that could serve as my personal background music in my own little Castaway movie.

1 (), sigur ros
2 Palmless Prayer/Mass Murder Refrain, Mono and World's End Girlfriend
3 The Doors, The Doors
4 The Beast, Mogwai
5 Days Of Future Passed, Moody Blues
6 Avalon, Roxy Music
7 Emerson, Lake & Palmer, ELP
8 Texas Flood, Stevie Ray Vaughan
9 Disraeli Gears, Cream
10 Tales from Topographic Oceans, Yes

Well-played, sir. Wide-ranging with a good balance of slower and upbeat songs. Especially love the Moody Blues, Cream, Doors and Stevie Ray Vaughan picks. Never fallen in love with an entire Yes album before, which is funny because the lead singer lives in the same area that I do. It appears I have some listening to do. <doff of the cap>