• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The difference between the "bandwagon fan" and the "player fan"

gpm1976

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you haven't been watching the last few years have you ? it simply isn't a team sport any more

Exactly.. and this isn't the same sport we all watched growing up where players stayed put and there was almost at least one star player on every team. All this waiting around to see where players land may have been fun for some people, but I think it's ruining the sport.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not saying dont cheer for a player. Like i love Dirks style. Hes a hell of a skilled jump shooter. But im not cheering for the guy or his team. I think you have to have a sense of pride in team sports, and most importantly loyalty. If you are a casual fan, well dont expect to be welcomed by open arms but the hardcores, just doesnt work that way sorry.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why people care what another teams fan base consists of

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get why people care what another teams fan base consists of

Personally, I don't care what makes up a teams fanbase.

My one and only issue with bandwagon fans and to a lesser extent, player fans, is when they want to talk smack to fans of other teams. They're doing that knowing full well that once the team they're following hits tough times, they'll be moving on to their next team instead of taking the smack talk that comes back.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I don't care what makes up a teams fanbase.

My one and only issue with bandwagon fans and to a lesser extent, player fans, is when they want to talk smack to fans of other teams. They're doing that knowing full well that once the team they're following hits tough times, they'll be moving on to their next team instead of taking the smack talk that comes back.

Couldnt have said it better myself. So when the Lakers suck, we get shit all day. Meanwhile, Johnny asslick is now a Cleveland fan. Go figure.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell that to the NBA Champs.

The San Antonio Spurs (you know, the team that just won the title) say Hi!!

I'm talking league wide and from a players individual perspective . I'm not talking about the teams that do it right .. but in fact that's why its true. Its the same 5 teams rotating championships or finals appearances for the last 30 years for the most part.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me fans of a player are no different that jumping from one team to another when one starts doing bad. hell think it was Adrian Peterson on his twitter put that hes a LeBron fan and will be jumping ship from Miami to Cleveland.

most of us have the 3 teams at the bottom of our avatar...if you have 3 different teams all from 3 different areas...you might be a bandwagon....something ill never understand...someone is a fan of one college in one sport...and another school of another. I know this guy who has been a fan of like 5 or 6 different nba teams due to his liking the player....that's ridiculous.

ram29jackson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
to me fans of a player are no different that jumping from one team to another when one starts doing bad. hell think it was Adrian Peterson on his twitter put that hes a LeBron fan and will be jumping ship from Miami to Cleveland.

most of us have the 3 teams at the bottom of our avatar...if you have 3 different teams all from 3 different areas...you might be a bandwagon....something ill never understand...someone is a fan of one college in one sport...and another school of another. I know this guy who has been a fan of like 5 or 6 different nba teams due to his liking the player....that's ridiculous.

no, that's sports entertainment consumerism.

Triplexxx23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why do you need to live one place for a long time to be a fan of any team ? theres a thing called the internet/the news paper/ personal choice/ espn/ the radio/ sports news/personal freedom of choice.

you can live in Iowa and be a NBA Bucks fan, it doesn't matter

Agree especially with kids who have grown up in the recent past. This is especially true in the NBA where they basically market players and not teams. Via games, commercials, video games, the web, etc kids are exposed to the same players (LaBron, Durant, Kobe, Melo, etc) over & over & over again. It is only natural that they are going to become fans of those players & whatever team they are playing for especially if the team in their backyard is not doing that well.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When it comes to professional sports, I consider myself a "player fan". Having never lived in one place for more than 3 years, I feel no geographic allegiance. I become fans of players and, by extension, fans of their team.

I was a Cavs fan for 7 years. I've been a Heat fan for 4 years. If LeBron were to sign with the Bucks in 2 weeks... Yes, I'll probably become a Bucks fan. I'll always have an affinity to the Heat and feel some allegiance to them, but my loyalty with the player is greater.

Many of you will find this repulsive and identify me as a Bandwagon fan. That's just fine with me, but allow me to offer a few important differences between the "bandwagon fan" and the "player fan".

1) A player fan doesn't need winning to remain loyal. If Lebron stays with the Heat for 10 more years and misses the playoffs every single year.... I'll still be a Heat fan and just as engaged as ever. Just as I was with the Cavs in their struggles. You can't say the same for a bandwagon fan.

2) A player fan is just as knowledgable and engaged as any other fan. Unlike the bandwagon fan, it is not about the social, look-I-like-a-cool-team experience. While the bandwagon fan is busy taking a selfie at the game to share on twitter, the player fan is leaning forward biting his nails screaming at a player for failing to box out.

3) The player fan doesn't care which team is the current fashionable, trendy team to root for. If it happens to coincide, well that kinda sucks, but whatever. I was a Bibby fan throughout his career which had me as a Grizzlies fan and a Kings fan... Not the most popular teams.

I respect fans that stay loyal to a team. To those that are true Heat fans, I'm sure they experience a different level of satisfaction seeing the team reach the pinnacle than I do. They've earned it.

What do you guys think?

Good points.

I grew up in a town without any of the major pro sports...as kids in the late 60s early 70s, we all adopted teams and for me it was player driven...Steelers...Joe Gilliam was the 1st real QB I ever saw play...drafted by the Steelers in '72. Lakers...Kareem traded to LAL, I certainly knew of the Bucks and Jr. Bridgeman and those guys, but can't say I was ever a Bucks fan.

Now...those two teams had a lot of success so it was easy to be a fan I suppose, but I've never left those teams even though I have no geographical tie to them.