• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE DAYTONA 500

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That wreck last night was the most scared I’ve been for a driver’s well being since the Busch series wreck that left Steve Park with brain damage.

Dillon’s wreck was scary, but thanks to Dale Jr’s crew we knew he was ok very fast

For me, it was back in the 94ish when a car was basically split in half and the fuel tank/cell hit the pavement and exploded. It seems like it was a Hendrick car … Craven or Schrader perhaps … but I cant find the video. I was not concerned with Dale Sr.'s because the wreck looked tame but when the net stayed up I thought he was hurt but not that seriously.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me, it was back in the 94ish when a car was basically split in half and the fuel tank/cell hit the pavement and exploded. It seems like it was a Hendrick car … Craven or Schrader perhaps … but I cant find the video. I was not concerned with Dale Sr.'s because the wreck looked tame but when the net stayed up I thought he was hurt but not that seriously.
I was just a kid, but I didn’t think anything about Dale’s wreck until they showed Dale Jr running towards the car.

I can speak from experience when I say Sterling Marlin is a prick, but he didn’t deserve the hate he got for it

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also that short track wreck in the Busch Series where Carl Edwards spun Brad Keselowski and Brad got pinballed around. Luckily he was ok, but that looked serious when it happened

Carl’s spotter said right after the wreck before he knew if everyone was ok “ You are the man, he deserved it.” He probably would have regretted that had things turned out differently

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about Steve Grissoms wreck?

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also that short track wreck in the Busch Series where Carl Edwards spun Brad Keselowski and Brad got pinballed around. Luckily he was ok, but that looked serious when it happened

But even in that, the window net went down fairly quickly. I can't remember the last wreck before Newman's, in a Cup Series race where the wreck was that bad looking AND the window net stayed up.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But even in that, the window net went down fairly quickly. I can't remember the last wreck before Newman's, in a Cup Series race where the wreck was that bad looking AND the window net stayed up.

Seems like there was one a few years ago but the driver was fine and maybe got fined for not dropping the net

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So glad I recorded it.

Avoided all the presidential BS. Plus skipped right through all the yellows.

Logano wrecked a lot of peoples races.

And fortunately Newman is OK.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After Austin Dillon’s wreck at Daytona, the first words out of Dale Jr’s mouth was asking if everyone was ok and Jr’s crew beat the safety crew to Dillon’s car. Hamlin didn’t bother to ask and his crew was more focused on dropping f bombs on live tv than Newman who was in a car upside down with a flame and gas leaking out.

And I never was a Dale Jr fan either

Dale Jr is a person that is acutely aware of wrecks at Daytona given the circumstances. It is not surprising that's on the front of his mind. But using him as an example to prove some imagined fault for Hamlin is just wrong. You are wrong on this. It is a very childish way of viewing the world and life in general you want to go about slamming Hamlin and his crew in moments like this where A) emotions are all over the place and B) there is limited information and confusion. You're trying to pass judgement on them in a situation where they had limited information where its not uncommon to have limited information, in fact, its more the norm. That's not a fair standard.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about Steve Grissoms wreck?

Yes it was, thanks much!!! Damn, I was off a few years and missed the owner/driver … I remember looking at my wife and saying we just witnessed a fatality.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dale Jr is a person that is acutely aware of wrecks at Daytona given the circumstances. It is not surprising that's on the front of his mind. But using him as an example to prove some imagined fault for Hamlin is just wrong. You are wrong on this. It is a very childish way of viewing the world and life in general you want to go about slamming Hamlin and his crew in moments like this where A) emotions are all over the place and B) there is limited information and confusion. You're trying to pass judgement on them in a situation where they had limited information where its not uncommon to have limited information, in fact, its more the norm. That's not a fair standard.
Denny Hamlin has been hurt pretty badly in the new style of cars too. You’d think at some point it would cross his mind to key up the radio and ask how Newman is.

And you’d think someone would notice the window net still up, the open flame and the gas leaking near said flame, but nope, Denny took Ryan’s safety for granted, and he had tears in his eyes when he said Joey Logano took his safety for granted.

Live by the words you preach

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like there was one a few years ago but the driver was fine and maybe got fined for not dropping the net

I remember that Bubba Wallace was slow at it … said the breath was knocked out of him.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denny Hamlin has been hurt pretty badly in the new style of cars too. You’d think at some point it would cross his mind to key up the radio and ask how Newman is.

And you’d think someone would notice the window net still up, the open flame and the gas leaking near said flame, but nope, Denny took Ryan’s safety for granted, and he had tears in his eyes when he said Joey Logano took his safety for granted.

Live by the words you preach

You keep referencing that quote from Hamlin but that happened after Logano wrecked Hamlin. There's a whole set of other things to consider there, namely that Hamlin believed Logano wrecked him on purpose which is a big no-no for obvious safety reasons. So there's gonna be all kinds of feelings there.

This is not the same situation. A wreck happened at the end of the race and Hamlin won. They celebrated as most would. In a perfect world would it be great if they all knew the severity right away? Sure. But its not a perfect world. Drivers don't know everything you think they do inside a car. They actually have limited knowledge and visibility. It's why they rely on information given via radios so much. The crew members not on the box don't have all that information either. And the guys on the box that could know, its easily believable they'd be more focused on the finish than their surroundings initially. It takes time to relay that information and calm everyone down. Someone did and they acted accordingly. No one on the team is to blame. Really no one is to blame because there's no real fault here. If you had to make a case, you could say a NASCAR official, which can radio every team at any time, could have notified the team to not celebrate since officials are aware of the entire race and happenings, not just what's going on with one car (like in Hamlin's case). But that's still misguided. There's A LOT going on in just a couple of minutes.

You're wrong on this and your bias towards Hamlin is clouding your judgement. I'm not coming from a bad place when I'm saying this to you so I hope you're not taking any of this in a bad or negative way. I'm just letting you and anyone else know there really shouldn't be any blame here. Like don't be that guy. It looks foolish because it doesn't take into account what's actually going on. You're just seeing a reaction and reacting to the reaction without factoring in what led up to it.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Watching the Sr. crash I told my wife he was dead right after it happened and she said I was crazy. It hit the wall and decelerated so fast and from the moderate damage you could tell the car didn't take as much of the impact as you would hope it would.

jeffro151

Supervisor
Hoopla Cash
$ 34,232.13
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:yes:
87015274_3027908987230630_109431484619685888_o.jpg

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Sr. crash I told my wife he was dead right after it happened and she said I was crazy. It hit the wall and decelerated so fast and from the moderate damage you could tell the car didn't take as much of the impact as you would hope it would.

I was just the opposite, falsely equating lack of damage to lack of force. My knowledge at that time was too limited to make the connections that you saw right away. That was the first time I really looked into some of the less spectacular looking open wheel crashes that were fatal or had serious injury and it had a profound effect on my views on workplace safety.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep referencing that quote from Hamlin but that happened after Logano wrecked Hamlin. There's a whole set of other things to consider there, namely that Hamlin believed Logano wrecked him on purpose which is a big no-no for obvious safety reasons. So there's gonna be all kinds of feelings there.

This is not the same situation. A wreck happened at the end of the race and Hamlin won. They celebrated as most would. In a perfect world would it be great if they all knew the severity right away? Sure. But its not a perfect world. Drivers don't know everything you think they do inside a car. They actually have limited knowledge and visibility. It's why they rely on information given via radios so much. The crew members not on the box don't have all that information either. And the guys on the box that could know, its easily believable they'd be more focused on the finish than their surroundings initially. It takes time to relay that information and calm everyone down. Someone did and they acted accordingly. No one on the team is to blame. Really no one is to blame because there's no real fault here. If you had to make a case, you could say a NASCAR official, which can radio every team at any time, could have notified the team to not celebrate since officials are aware of the entire race and happenings, not just what's going on with one car (like in Hamlin's case). But that's still misguided. There's A LOT going on in just a couple of minutes.

You're wrong on this and your bias towards Hamlin is clouding your judgement. I'm not coming from a bad place when I'm saying this to you so I hope you're not taking any of this in a bad or negative way. I'm just letting you and anyone else know there really shouldn't be any blame here. Like don't be that guy. It looks foolish because it doesn't take into account what's actually going on. You're just seeing a reaction and reacting to the reaction without factoring in what led up to it.
I’m not taking it to heart, we just have different views on the matter.

But Denny clearly saw the crash since it happened in front of him, and he damn sure saw the aftermath while he was doing his slow donut in the infield grass.

And at no point did he ask his spotter if Ryan was ok. It was like he wasn’t aware at all of the possibility Ryan could be hurt despite the window net being up, the fire and the gas leak.

He handled the situation about as poorly as possible IMO.

Dale Jr handled it right, Denny didn’t

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just the opposite, falsely equating lack of damage to lack of force. My knowledge at that time was too limited to make the connections that you saw right away. That was the first time I really looked into some of the less spectacular looking open wheel crashes that were fatal or had serious injury and it had a profound effect on my views on workplace safety.
We saw him walk away from crashes that looked a lot worse.

But he was inches from being collected up in the 20 car pileup that happened about 20 laps prior, and it’s likely he’d still be here today if he would have been more unlucky earlier in the race

Bullitt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Grissom. Was watching the race and first thought was no way he could make it. Interviewed him a few minutes later.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steve Grissom. Was watching the race and first thought was no way he could make it. Interviewed him a few minutes later.

I was sick after seeing the wreck. It is amazing some of the wrecks in NASCAR where the drivers walked away.