• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some follow-up info on why 4-star Plymouth Canton, MI OT Michael Jordan chose Ohio State over his backyard school Michigan:

Recruit Michael Jordan picks Ohio State for 'academics'

Michael Jordan states he chose the Buckeyes because Ohio State offered the academic curriculum combination he wished to pursue: International Business major combined with a minor in Chinese.

Yes... some of these recruits actually do care about academics, and preparation for life after their football playing days are over.

Kudos to Jordan... good luck to this young man.

A recruit picking Ohio State over Michigan for academic reasons? I mean, Ohio State is far from a slouch in that category, but if the reason is academics, generally a kid is going to pick UM

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A recruit picking Ohio State over Michigan for academic reasons? I mean, Ohio State is far from a slouch in that category, but if the reason is academics, generally a kid is going to pick UM
Well he wanted to go to school for Business, not General Studies.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some follow-up info on why 4-star Plymouth Canton, MI OT Michael Jordan chose Ohio State over his backyard school Michigan:

Recruit Michael Jordan picks Ohio State for 'academics'

Michael Jordan states he chose the Buckeyes because Ohio State offered the academic curriculum combination he wished to pursue: International Business major combined with a minor in Chinese.

Yes... some of these recruits actually do care about academics, and preparation for life after their football playing days are over.

Kudos to Jordan... good luck to this young man.
That was....not quite the reason I was expecting :lol:

Good for him.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a pretty lucrative combination of interests. Sounds like I guy we should pay attention to. We may all be working for him one day!

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a pretty lucrative combination of interests. Sounds like I guy we should pay attention to. We may all be working for him one day!
Nah he'll be running some Chinese factory it sounds like

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ex Michigan Quarterback Devin Gardner reportedly already cut from the patriots. Looks like he has been signed by the Steelers.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big Ten's Jim Delany enjoys huge jump in base compensation

Big Ten Conference commissioner Jim Delany's base compensation increased by $800,000 to nearly $2.1 million during the 2013 calendar year, according to the conference's new federal tax return

Delany's nearly 65% rise in base pay put that portion of his total compensation in same range as that of other commissioners of the five power conferences. For the 2013 calendar year, the SEC's Mike Slive had a base of just over $2 million (up from nearly $1.2 million in 2012) and the Big 12's Bob Bowlsby was at $1.8 million.

The Big Ten expanded to 14 teams at the beginning of the 2014-15 school year, with the addition of Maryland and Rutgers.
Its revenue for its 2014 fiscal year was about $13 million greater than that of the 14-team Southeastern Conference, which reported $325.9 million in revenue for a fiscal year that ended Aug. 31, 2014. The SEC's revenue for fiscal 2014 did not reflect any of the change in revenue being triggered by the start of the SEC Network this past August.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Satellite camps are no big deal to Big Ten ADs

Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany defended the idea at the time, and Tuesday during the Big Ten spring meetings, many of the conference's athletic directors echoed his thoughts.
"I think that's an ACC/SEC issue," Purdue athletic director Morgan Burke said. "It's not real high on our list of items. … Why should it bother us? Maybe I'm not close enough to the issues being raised by my colleagues in the ACC and the SEC. But if someone wants to spend their money and that's how they want to spend their recruiting dollars to do something like that, I say, 'What's the problem?' "

Iowa athletic director Gary Barta agreed with Burke, and said he and his colleagues in the Big Ten have discussed the issue informally. He and others in the conference, however, believe there are bigger issues in recruiting than satellite camps.
"Making sure there's a level playing field with signing or oversigning," he said. "Whether or not we should offer early so students can get on with their regular high school enjoyment. Those are important things. Once they're on our campus, offering them multi-year scholarships. Things that make the recruiting process better for students are things we're taking a look at. ... There are so many other things."

"I'm really interested in the conversation," Ohio State's Gene Smith said. "I have concerns about how far we're going (with them)."

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This dude should be fired for the shit show job he's done for the B1G, let alone his pay TRIPLED!!
Yeah I would have to agree he has not been the best AD for the B1G

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I would have to agree he has not been the best AD for the B1G
Depends what you're judging it by.

Financially, he's been one of the best conference commissioners ever... If you're only concern is perception and how the B1G competes, then yeah, he might leave something to be desired.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends what you're judging it by.

Financially, he's been one of the best conference commissioners ever... If you're only concern is perception and how the B1G competes, then yeah, he might leave something to be desired.
That's fair

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Majority of Big Ten ADs still in favor of an early signing period for football | MLive.com

"In January, the Conference Commissioners Association discussed the potential of implementing a mid-December signing period -- potentially a three-day window -- that would happen in advance of the traditional first Wednesday in February.

Southeastern Conference coaches and administrators were against the idea for some time, though most conferences began to warm up to the idea last fall, the Big Ten included."