• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

THE BIG 10 THREAD

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Michigan supposed to beat a team with 10 players suspended?

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now
1. Michigan
2. Maryland.

Let's face it. They did beat Top 25 teams.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't Michigan supposed to beat a team with 10 players suspended?

Yes but majority of those players were freshmen and backups. Michigan would've won by 30+ if it wasn't for the Speight 2 pick sixes. They looked better vs FL than Bama did.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now
1. Michigan
2. Maryland.

Let's face it. They did beat Top 25 teams.

They did but the preseason rankings can be flawed just like when the Badgers beat two top ten teams in LSU and MSU and it turned out those two teams were very bad (until LSU made the QB switch).

Texas might not even be a top 50 team and FL might not be what they were last season and both will most likely be out of the top 25 this week.

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They did but the preseason rankings can be flawed just like when the Badgers beat two top ten teams in LSU and MSU and it turned out those two teams were very bad (until LSU made the QB switch).

Texas might not even be a top 50 team and FL might not be what they were last season and both will most likely be out of the top 25 this week.

I understand that. Just talking about the games they were handed. Maryland beating Texas is more impressive now than tOSU beating Indiana. Later in the season it may not be as impressive. Week 1 ratings mean squat

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1.) PSU: Beat the living hell out of a small school so it's hard to judge but didn't have a slow start like other BIG teams
2.) Michigan: Speight was the MVP for Florida and if it wasn't for his 2 pick sixes they would be ranked number one. I give them credit for a good road win vs a solid defensive team.
3.) Wisconsin: Defense relinquished 3 points on the first drive of about 50 yards due to penalties and adjusting to high tempo. The TD came from the new center who had a butt fumble at UW ten yard line. After that Badgers dominated like I've never seen before with 59 straight unanswered points from late in the second Q and beyond.
4.) OSU: Struggled mightily with the WR's of Indiana and were losing in the second half but started getting to the QB and the speedy RB's were too much for Indiana in the end. OSU seems to lack a passing game and a secondary this year.
5.) Maryland: Very impressive dominant win over Texas. Their recruiting has drastically improved and it was displayed yesterday at Texass. Even their backup QB was outstanding. This team is the dark horse right now.
6.) Purdue: Yes they lost but like the Michigan QB they hurt themselves with 2 int's and despite the two int's they were winning in the middle of the 4th Q vs a top 20 team. Cleanup the turnovers and this team could be a dangerous offense.
7.) Iowa: They actually didn't choke vs the small school. They started off slow but the final score looks decent.
8.) Tie between Northwestern and Nebraska: Both were equally unimpressive but pulled away late in their games vs smaller schools. I thought these teams were supposed to be the challengers to Wisconsin.
9.) MSU: I wouldn't say they're back but they might be better than the dreadful season they had last year.
10.) Indiana: Competed with OSU is enough to justify them at least here.
11.) Rutgers: Competed with the Huskies early on and weren't destroyed quite as badly as people thought they would be.
12.) Illinois: A fluke win vs a trash team. Lovie is the worst coach in this conference.

I was very impressed with Maryland, Indiana and Purdue. Wisconsin, Michigan and PSU performed as expected. I was let down by Illinois, Nebraska and Northwestern and just glad Iowa hasn't choked yet.
Do you think Wisconsin will have a better passing attack this year?

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that. Just talking about the games they were handed. Maryland beating Texas is more impressive now than tOSU beating Indiana. Later in the season it may not be as impressive. Week 1 ratings mean squat

Exactly, if we just go off the preseason rankings as truth then Maryland's victory was more impressive.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think Wisconsin will have a better passing attack this year?

We have the best weapons we've had in a while and Honnibrook is an extremely accurate passer. However his pocket awareness, mobility and arm strength are still poor. Reports were he increased his speed and strength significantly in the offseason but he only looked maybe slightly better. Our WR's, especially Davis, Taylor and Peavy can toast any secondary but those lolly pops give DB's time to recover for int's (see Michigan game). Our passing attack and running attack wiith Johnathan Taylor aka the flash but it won't be significantly better. I think we will have many more big splash plays on offense that's for sure. The speed on this team is much improved from last season.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but majority of those players were freshmen and backups. Michigan would've won by 30+ if it wasn't for the Speight 2 pick sixes. They looked better vs FL than Bama did.

Star RB, Star Rcvr, and I think Star LB or DL.

Also a freshman QB starting.

I do admit that I picked Florida in pickem's when many others threw in the towel on them after the last two suspensions. I thought they would have depth to overcome.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Star RB, Star Rcvr, and I think Star LB or DL.

Also a freshman QB starting.

I do admit that I picked Florida in pickem's when many others threw in the towel on them after the last two suspensions. I thought they would have depth to overcome.

So everyone is a star I got it. Were these the #1 starters? Can you prove it on their depth chart? Did they have another QB better than the freshman QB? Even with all those players would've played Speight would've still been the MVP for Florida with his poor throws and Michigan would've still won.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Iowa's defense is built off this guy. If he gets injured, that would really hurt Iowa's defense. He was a beast vs Wyoming.

iowajerms

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,091.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think, Nick was committed to Iowa State and got a call by Iowa coaches. He said he would go to Iowa if he got to talk to Kirk Ferentz. The assistant coach who he was talking to got KF as quick as they could, the then decided then to go to Iowa. Not even on scholarship.

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My B1G Preseason Ranking - I will turn this into Power Rankings after this week and go by how the teams do by 3-4 weeks. Week 1 will not be very influential in week 6 to the end of the season. I don't know how we can say "Power Rankings" when he haven't seen them play. I will give analysis of top half, but will do all teams after week one, when I get to see them play.

1) Penn State - The Nittany Lions are #1 because they did win the conference last year and they are the most experienced team in the B1G. Their defense was not among the top of the B1G last season and could really affect them this year. McSorley and Barkley could be the best QB/RB combination in the B1G and should have a great offense.

2) Ohio State - The Buckeyes might be #2 on here, but Michigan is the only B1G team with more NFL Draft picks. They are still quite experienced and could be the most balanced on offense and defense. Right now, Penn State and Ohio State are the two that is heavily favored to win the B1G, and I think it is fair.

3) Northwestern - The B1G nerds above two Top 10 teams? Only Penn State is more experienced and they bring a strong combination of QB and RB. Thorson will not be a top QB by any means, but Jackson could be the top RB in the B1G, and arguably the country. Thorson should be good enough to compliment him. They should be returning a strong rush defense, which helps them in the B1G West and don't have to worry about Michigan or Ohio State. They also lost 3 games last year by less than a TD that they would not have to worry about this season.

4) Wisconsin
- The Badgers seem to be a popular pick for the West. They don't have to worry about Ohio State or Penn State. Wisconsin will be a powerful team with a good ground game. They have a young QB and RB but they could have the best OL in the B1G. The Badgers are returning the top rushing defense in the B1G from last season.

5) Michigan - The Wolverines lost a lot of talent from last season. Only Michigan State has less experience in the B1G. Not only did they lost a lot of talent, they had 11 players get drafted (most in CFB), so a lot that they lost were talented enough for NFL teams to give them a shot. However, they get good recruiting classes and Harbaugh is a great coach. He also has his recruited players to be key players now.

6) Iowa - The running game should be great for Iowa, but the passing game is the big question mark. On offense, they return Akrum Wadley and gained graduate transfer James Butler (Nevada) and has a great OL. They also bring back a strong front seven on the defensive side, led by LB Josey Jewell. They lost 2-year starter CJ Beathard and a few wide receivers (who weren't that great anyway). They also lost all of their DBs, including All-American and 2015 Jim Thorpe Award winner Desmond King. Could be a great year or a very disappoint year for the Hawkeyes.

7) Nebraska - The Huskers lose a lot of talent. They are 12th in B1G in terms of experience. Tanner Lee will be the starter after sitting out a year, as he transferred to Nebraska. They had one of the best defenses in the B1G, and I would expect their defense to remain strong.

8) Minnesota
9) Maryland
10) Purdue
11) Michigan State
12) Indiana
13) Illinois
14) Rutgers

I'm pretty sure these rankings will change a little bit after this week.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

kburjr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what was it? Michigan is that good, or Florida was overrated?

Great Dayne

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Florida was probably slightly overrated and Michigan is about what we thought they were a great defense with a historically bad QB. Two pick sixes in a row and still win is very tough on the road vs a P5 team. Florida has no offense what so ever and were missing a couple horses but they would've still lost.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks

So that's two skilled positions then the rest was depth players. With the bad QB and O-line getting thrown around I doubt those two would've made a significant difference.

Many had playing time from last season. Don't feel like getting into a Big 10 homer debate, but I can read through the pickem's thread and see many who changed their pick to Michigan as the week went on. I changed it myself then changed it back to Florida. It was just for 1 point so no biggie.

Sgt Brutus

Goober
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michigan has a really good defense but Florida's offense looks like it might be outside of the top 75