• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The B1G Thread

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rumors of a coverup started almost right away, and the Tressel email with Cicero was discovered in early January, so yeah it was pretty well known. Either way, I can't prove it. It's the same with people saying Meyer quit Florida because it was too difficult. It's speculation. What happened, happened.

In regards to his health, he had esophageal spasms. It's widely thought they are caused simply by someone's diet, depending on how their body reacts to things like spicy foods, chocolate, mint, alcohol, or foods with high acidity like tomatoes or oranges. So yeah, if you catch them, have them identified and take the further steps of amending your diet, they can be controlled and prevented further. It's like losing weight - you know what you can and can't eat, and as long as you properly maintain a healthy diet and regularly exercise, odds are you will keep the weight off.

So in other words, you got nothing. Rumors are just that rumors, and I don't know about you, but Meyer seems smart enough to base large life decisions on rumors.

Notice how you didn't say stress, which was the primary factor in his decision to leave Florida. Besides those things sound like something he could do while coaching at Florida (and I definitely think Florida would have work with him to keep him around). So either there is something deeper he isn't telling us, or he used it as an excuse to leave Florida, neither is good.

So like I said, will he quit on Ohio State? :noidea: Only time will tell, you have your opinion and I have mine, and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So in other words, you got nothing. Rumors are just that rumors, and I don't know about you, but Meyer seems smart enough to base large life decisions on rumors.

Notice how you didn't say stress, which was the primary factor in his decision to leave Florida. Besides those things sound like something he could do while coaching at Florida (and I definitely think Florida would have work with him to keep him around). So either there is something deeper he isn't telling us, or he used it as an excuse to leave Florida, neither is good.

So like I said, will he quit on Ohio State? :noidea: Only time will tell, you have your opinion and I have mine, and I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

You've got to understand that if the casual sports fan is able to hear rumors, guys like Urban Meyer probably hear a lot more, right? He's a little more connected in that community.

I didn't say stress because that wasn't a primary factor in his decision at all. He never said anything about retiring because he was stressed out. His main reason, he said, was to spend more time with his family and also get healthy. He did both things. Go ahead and read up: Esophageal Spasm Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, and More This is what he was diagnosed with, and I don't see stress as being a major indicator. Could it be? Sure, I'm no doctor. But clearly it wasn't the main reason, as he went back to coaching. Sounds a lot more like, as I said, a matter of proper diet and exercise. He's already come out and said his doctors have said he's now healthy and not at risk like he once was, so sorry about your "opinion" that he's going to up and leave. I can see why that's what you'd want.

Jonny Valtimore

On Wisconsin
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The B1G schedule finally looks like it'll work out f
In the conference's favor. The past few years the conference has been down, but also given the difficult conference schedules it has looked much worse than it really was. The SEC has had very favorable schedules, with many of the top teams not facing off.

I think Ohio State and Wisconsin in the Leaders should each have at least 10 wins, with Nebraska, Michigan, and Northwestern following suit in the Legends with at least 9 wins a piece.

Any conversation that thinks this is a 2 horse race between UM and Ohio State is just plain shortsighted given all that UW, NU, and Northwestern bring back and/or have improved on.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will be interested to see if Nebraska has staying power or will go the route of PSU. PSU still a decent team...prior last years issues...but fallen off from being a true powerhouse.

I think D'Antonio days are numbered at MSU. He failed to capitalize on UofM's down years. The Spartans are not recruiting Michigan as well an has lost that edge.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FUCK
WISCONSIN

There, I feel better. What's up?

YOU KNOW WHAT!!??? CHILDREN OF THE CORN SUCKED! IT WAS A SHITTY MOVIE!!

Okay I feel better too. :suds:

Things are brighter and shinier. Did you move yet?

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You've got to understand that if the casual sports fan is able to hear rumors, guys like Urban Meyer probably hear a lot more, right? He's a little more connected in that community.

I didn't say stress because that wasn't a primary factor in his decision at all. He never said anything about retiring because he was stressed out. His main reason, he said, was to spend more time with his family and also get healthy. He did both things. Go ahead and read up: Esophageal Spasm Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, and More This is what he was diagnosed with, and I don't see stress as being a major indicator. Could it be? Sure, I'm no doctor. But clearly it wasn't the main reason, as he went back to coaching. Sounds a lot more like, as I said, a matter of proper diet and exercise. He's already come out and said his doctors have said he's now healthy and not at risk like he once was, so sorry about your "opinion" that he's going to up and leave. I can see why that's what you'd want.

I'm the casual sports fan, and I didn't hear any rumors. Furthermore, I think Meyer was just a little busy with the whole coaching thing at Florida to be concerned about rumors at another school in another confernence.

Sure you didn't say stress was a factor but basically everyone who reported on his departure did. Stress was a major reason for those health problems. So like I said, either there is something more that he either isn't telling us (or maybe is even unaware of) or he used that as an excuse to get out of Florida for whatever reason. And now you are putting words in my mouth, I never siad that he will "up and leave," only that he could because of his health, and if I was a Ohio State fan, I would be at some level concerned about that. Because like I said, I don't want him to leave, what I want is for him to stay and get the pants beat off by Hoke and the boys and Michigan. I want his legacy broken like a little child's toy, that overall he couldn't stand up to the might that is Michigan.

bigred472

theoldestidiotonthisboard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:
At least tOSU wins BCS games and they have a title in the last 10 years. Wisky gets there and loses everytime. We are still and always will be tge kings of the Big Ten. You should of accepted by now.

Your 2 Big Ships, well they will be the last in a long time.
-------
Let's compare what Tressel did at Ohio State & Meyer did at Florida. In 10 years the vest had three so-so years losing 3 games once 4 games once & five games once. In six years at Florida the neurotic lost 3 games once, 4 games once, & five games once. Do you honestly believe that Urban will do any better for the Buckeyes than he did at Florida? Plus, he's already had an undefeated season, how do you top that? Your HC IMO isn't built for pressure or rebuilding (and he will have to ocassionally rebuild). Brag on him all you want but I don't see him lasting as long as Tressel did.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------
Let's compare what Tressel did at Ohio State & Meyer did at Florida. In 10 years the vest had three so-so years losing 3 games once 4 games once & five games once. In six years at Florida the neurotic lost 3 games once, 4 games once, & five games once. Do you honestly believe that Urban will do any better for the Buckeyes than he did at Florida? Plus, he's already had an undefeated season, how do you top that? Your HC IMO isn't built for pressure or rebuilding (and he will have to ocassionally rebuild). Brag on him all you want but I don't see him lasting as long as Tressel did.
10 years? He can last 10 years as long as he does what he said he will do.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-------

The problem with Tressel was that his mentality involving recruiting was to basically protect the Ohio Valley and occasionally get a recruit from Florida, while Meyer is going into SEC territory, Texas, and even California and getting the athletes he knows win titles. I'm not saying the midwest is devoid of talent, but you can't rely solely on it. The last 2 recruiting classes Meyer has had have been vastly different than anything we ever saw under Tressel outside of maybe 2008.

Also, you say he isn't build for rebuilding? That's ALL he did his first few years at UF. That team was a wreck in the wake of Zook, and Meyer took them to 2 titles in his first 4 years. Honestly, if he gets OSU 2 titles in 4 years and leaves after 6, I'll be fine with that. We're OSU, we're not gonna have trouble finding another elite coach.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, did anybody else watch day one of the B1G media days? It was a five hour broadcast, and if you missed it, it will be repeated a few more times over the next couple days on the BTN.

All the coaches did pretty well during their segments. The more I see, hear and read about new Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen, the more I believe that the Badgers made a very good hire. Hiring Andersen, combined with the shiny new facility upgrades makes me believe the Badgers will have a bright future.

On the opposite side of the coin, is Tim Beckman going to be able to turn around the Illinois program? Will the Illini even be able to win a conference game this year (they went 0-8 last season in the B1G).

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, did anybody else watch day one of the B1G media days? It was a five hour broadcast, and if you missed it, it will be repeated a few more times over the next couple days on the BTN.

All the coaches did pretty well during their segments. The more I see, hear and read about new Wisconsin coach Gary Andersen, the more I believe that the Badgers made a very good hire. Hiring Andersen, combined with the shiny new facility upgrades makes me believe the Badgers will have a bright future.

On the opposite side of the coin, is Tim Beckman going to be able to turn around the Illinois program? Will the Illini even be able to win a conference game this year (they went 0-8 last season in the B1G).

My first impression was that if Pat Fitzgerald runs for president, he has my vote. Northwestern is very lucky to have him.

I thought it was interesting that Barry Alvarez called Urban before he hired Andersen to get his opinion on him. I had no idea Alvarez and Meyer were that close, nor that Andersen and Meyer were. I like him so much more than Bielema and he hasn't even coached a game.

Beckman has a long battle ahead. Unfortunately I don't see him being able to, but I'm also interested in seeing Hazell at Purdue. I hate rooting for them, but he was an awesome position coach at OSU for several years, so it's always nice to see him succeed. I was also impressed again by BOB at Penn State. God bless that guy.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first impression was that if Pat Fitzgerald runs for president, he has my vote. Northwestern is very lucky to have him.

Yeah, if I was a high school football player recruited by Northwestern, I'd immediately jump at the chance to play for Fitzgerald in a heartbeat. I'm convinced Fitzgerald is going to build the Northwestern football program into the equivalent of the Stanford program.

Fitzgerald is going to be able to entice even more potential recruits to Northwestern once this amazing $220 million lakefront athletic complex is completed:

Northwestern Announces New Athletics/Rec Complex: Northwestern University News

Here is Pat Fitzgerald's reaction to the announcement of the new athletic facilities:

Pat Fitzgerald on New Facility Announcement - YouTube

And as for Nittany Lion coach BOB...the Penn State administration better do all they can to retain him, and stop him from going to the NFL in the future. He is going to work wonders for the PSU football program.

Man oh man.....the B1G really got some good coaches over the course of the past two seasons! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress this conference makes over the next several seasons!

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, if I was a high school football player recruited by Northwestern, I'd immediately jump at the chance to play for Fitzgerald in a heartbeat. I'm convinced Fitzgerald is going to build the Northwestern football program into the equivalent of the Stanford program.

Fitzgerald is going to be able to entice even more potential recruits to Northwestern once this amazing $220 million lakefront athletic complex is completed:

Northwestern Announces New Athletics/Rec Complex: Northwestern University News

Here is Pat Fitzgerald's reaction to the announcement of the new athletic facilities:

Pat Fitzgerald on New Facility Announcement - YouTube

And as for Nittany Lion coach BOB...the Penn State administration better do all they can to retain him, and stop him from going to the NFL in the future. He is going to work wonders for the PSU football program.

Man oh man.....the B1G really got some good coaches over the course of the past two seasons! I'm looking forward to seeing the progress this conference makes over the next several seasons!

I'd love to see NW become another Stanford. I see no reason they can't - world class academics, amazing head coach, located in one of the best cities in the nation. That new facility looks amazing. Had I not gone to Ohio State, Northwestern was the only other school I was even considering.

I think BOB is gonna be at PSU for awhile. If he stays through this and makes them back into a contender on a national level, he will be an absolute legend.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Wisconsin fan, I actually prefer Northwestern to suck.

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Wisconsin fan, I actually prefer Northwestern to suck.

With the upcoming strength of schedule component the playoff selection committee will be utilizing to choose the four participating teams, it's going to be in the best interest of each contender to have a few very good teams within their own division. A conference is going to wish to strive to have as many top 25 teams as possible every season.

Therefore, in the new B1G West Division, Nebraska and Wisconsin are going to want to have a couple more teams in that division to be very strong...it probably won't be Illinois, Minnesota or Purdue making any significant strides for national relevance over the next few years, so that leaves Northwestern and Iowa. So, it probably is a good idea for Cornhusker and Badger fans to hope that Iowa and Northwestern have consistently good programs each and every season.

ForkEmBucky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I suppose. But we draw quite a few Northern Illinois recruits.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Martinez: "If we don't turn over the football, we'll probably be the best offense in the country this upcoming season."

Team Mookie

You won't live forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Taylor Martinez: "If we don't turn over the football, we'll probably be the best offense in the country this upcoming season."

Yeah... and

If it happens, it must be possible.

I personally like this one.

What if a child dreamed of becoming something other than what society had intended? what if a child aspired to something greater?

Jor-El

taylor_martinez--300x300.jpg