• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The All-time Screw Job Teams

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I hate to say it but the Raiders got absolutely screwed in the tuck rule game.

100% wrong. The tuck rule was called correctly as it was written back then. I don't know how myths like this continue to thrive in the age of the internet.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about the phantom holding call in 92 on the Niners very first play that called back an 80 yard TD to Rice? Would have changed that entire game.

:suds: I was going to bring that up, but I figured I'd get the same response as I do from the internet troll Packer fans who want to cry about 1998, but feel like nothing went their way in previous playoff games.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Not calling Don Beebe down in 1996 cost the Niners that game in the regular season; that would've been the difference between a home game in the playoffs and playing in Lambeau.

Not that I think the Niners would've won that game anyway, but it's still worth mentioning.

bone3421

like in the back of a VW
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe but it was the 1st play, you can bounce back from that......so not really a screw job like the sanders/irvin call which i believe was around 8 or so minutes left...thinking 49ers got another score after that to ice it

looked it up... been awhile no points scored after that would have cut the lead to 3

Last edited by a moderator:

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% wrong. The tuck rule was called correctly as it was written back then. I don't know how myths like this continue to thrive in the age of the internet.

Chill nancy.

Here was the rule:

NFL Rule 3, Section 22, Article 2, Note 2. When [an offensive] player is holding the ball to pass it forward, any intentional forward movement of his arm starts a forward pass, even if the player loses possession of the ball as he is attempting to tuck it back toward his body. Also, if the player has tucked the ball into his body and then loses possession, it is a fumble.[6]

That is a horribly written rule. But I've seen that play dozens of times and I think he was tucking it when it came out - but ill admit it was close. Either way stupid rule. And fuck the Patriots.

Smoke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they still were in position to win. Had it not been for a bullshit no call they probably would have won the game.

DavidAkersflopgif_zpse2486d8e.gif
[/IMG]

And if not for this bullshit penalty caused from your kickers acting job it would have bee an 8 point game.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DavidAkersflopgif_zpse2486d8e.gif
[/IMG]

And if not for this bullshit penalty on your kicker it would have bee an 8 point game.

Pfft... He was going to run into Akers whether Akers sold it or not. The ruling was running into the kicker not roughing the kicker. Yawn.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not calling Don Beebe down in 1996 cost the Niners that game in the regular season; that would've been the difference between a home game in the playoffs and playing in Lambeau.

Not that I think the Niners would've won that game anyway, but it's still worth mentioning.

There was so much more in that game too. That was the Packer's lone TD in the game, and then on their 2pt conversion try Edgar Bennett came down a foot short of the goalline on both knees leaning backwards, but then he leaned forward and lunged across the line and they gave it to him.

Not to mention... on either the kick return of the drive that sent it to OT or in OT, there was a bullshit personal foul and ejection on Tyrone Drakeford I believe it was for assaulting an official, even though all he did was put his hand on the guy's shoulder to complain about something. After that, I think the Packers had to only get like 15 yards before they hit the FG

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I'm ok with that Drakeford ejection. You touch an official, you get ejected. Period.

Unless, that is, you're a Baltimore Raven.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That was one of the worst calls I've ever seen - not only did he not catch it, he was tagged down by our guy and then I'm pretty sure he stepped out of bounds after he got up... I was burning mad. Terrible call.

Pack got screwed by the replacement refs too... There'll always be screw jobs I guess.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Sound FX': Baltimore Ravens win Super Bowl XLVII - NFL Videos

The angle of the PI/Hold wasn't good on this one - 2:24. It doesn't show the holding as much as from behind that we saw on the broadcast. I'm pretty sure when they make the Ravens SB video for sale, they're going to use this angle. If I only saw this angle, I don't see it, but from the one we saw before it was clearer.

And Smoke, if I were mad at three points, it'd be the fake field goal. You ended up getting us to punt and then the long one, but you never know if you could have gotten both.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
'Sound FX': Baltimore Ravens win Super Bowl XLVII - NFL Videos

The angle of the PI/Hold wasn't good on this one - 2:24. It doesn't show the holding as much as from behind that we saw on the broadcast. I'm pretty sure when they make the Ravens SB video for sale, they're going to use this angle. If I only saw this angle, I don't see it, but from the one we saw before it was clearer.

And Smoke, if I were mad at three points, it'd be the fake field goal. You ended up getting us to punt and then the long one, but you never know if you could have gotten both.

I was watching the pass to see if it was catchable or not and when Crabtree said it could have been lower, I don't know how it could because from Kaep's vantage point at the time of the throw was released, lower would have been intercepted or batted down. He doesn't know the defender will fall down after grabbing. Lower sounds like hindsight.

3:41. Don't know what Flacco is talking about, is that just him joking - giving them advice to tackle the guy when that's obviously what you'd do if you see no pitch? I turned it off after that because I am not going to watch them celebrate.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm ok with that Drakeford ejection. You touch an official, you get ejected. Period.

Unless, that is, you're a Baltimore Raven.

Oh yeah, that was the 1996 Regular Season where the rules apply, none of that "let them play" hootinanny.

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If anybody got screwed by the Tuck Rule, it was this year when the officials ruled an incomplete pass (according to the rule) a fumble by Peyton Manning. Which allowed the Ravens to score, which allowed the Ravens to advance.

Don't give me this nonsense that the NFL didn't want Ray Lewis to go out a loser.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was watching the pass to see if it was catchable or not and when Crabtree said it could have been lower, I don't know how it could because from Kaep's vantage point at the time of the throw was released, lower would have been intercepted or batted down. He doesn't know the defender will fall down after grabbing. Lower sounds like hindsight.

3:41. Don't know what Flacco is talking about, is that just him joking - giving them advice to tackle the guy when that's obviously what you'd do if you see no pitch? I turned it off after that because I am not going to watch them celebrate.

The pass was definitely catchable if Crabtree wasn't slowed and laid-out for it. Shorter would have been better than lower. As for Flacco he is telling guys to come off the bench to tackle Ginn if he had broke into the clear.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The pass was definitely catchable if Crabtree wasn't slowed and laid-out for it. Shorter would have been better than lower. As for Flacco he is telling guys to come off the bench to tackle Ginn if he had broke into the clear.

Thanks, Bem! I was really confused on the Flacco comment. Because I thought it was a joke. But then thought it might have something to do with people hesitating to tackle on hook and ladder plays. Tackling takes you out of the play for the next guy when the pitch person is obviously taking himself away from the play and thus no sense in tackling when it comes too late. But I thought Flacco was saying don't worry about that, just get the guy and trust the others. It sounded like what a fan above me at my college games used to scream, "tackle him!" as if 1) the player weren't trying to do that already and 2) the screamer could be heard. But I knew it wasn't that, obviously.

What do you think about the angle at 2:24? It really makes it look like it was jamming within 5 yards, when it wasn't (we know the other angle). We can't see the jersey hold that much, it looks mutual. From the angle that was on the broadcast, they had a good freeze frame. Maybe the damn ref saw the wrong angle? I hadn't been able to go back to look at it until now. I get upset at bad calls more than bad plays. IF we weren't going to win, I would have rather had Kaep throw it way too high. I don't like the what if the right thing was called hypotheticals.

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Given the way the officials were "calling" the game, they'd have been allowed to get away with it. Hell, Baltimore could have lined up with 20 guys on the field for the punt and they would have been allowed to get away with it.

See, the problem is, we traded the pick that netted Ray Lewis for J.J.-FUCKING-Stokes.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Given the way the officials were "calling" the game, they'd have been allowed to get away with it. Hell, Baltimore could have lined up with 20 guys on the field for the punt and they would have been allowed to get away with it.

See, the problem is, we traded the pick that netted Ray Lewis for J.J.-FUCKING-Stokes.

What would have been the rule? Would we get the ball back for one play? Would the refs be able to use a judgment call to see if we would have scored without the additional players? Because, if I were on the bench in the SB and the guy is running down the sideline, I don't know if I'd tackle the guy, if there was someone that could conceivably catch him. Why risk it? Just take the penalty, right? There's not like a clear path to the basket rule that there is in basketball, is there? And if so, what if it isn't clear path, as in one guy could catch him? (If I didn't think he would, would I wait around to see it happen?)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

:(

The Niners had some really inept people running the draft for many, many years. That was one of many draft moves I'll never forgive:

Woods instead of Wilfork
Crabby over Orakpo
Rachal over Calalias Campbell
McKillop over Jasper Brinkley

Nate Davis & Brandon Doman over... Well, anyone. Inexcuseable. :mad2: