• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 4 year transformation of the Boston Celtics

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that- it was a good read.

The Celtics did it the right way- they didnt try and short change the rebuild- made some great trades.

Teams that think they can sign a bunch of mediocre vets and never bottom out to get a star never win shit. Boston was lucky becuase they basically just got the Nets picks and didnt totally have to bottom out as bad as teams like the Sixers and Cavs and Thunder (Sonics partly at the time).

Boston and Philly seem to be the very best positioned teams long term in the East. Once LeBron goes those 2 teams will likely dominate the EAst for the foresseable future---- Wiz should be good too-- but Boston and Philly just look like they should be stacked going forward.

Last edited:

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that- it was a good read.

The Celtics did it the right way- they didnt try and short change the rebuild- made some great trades.

Teams that think they can sign a bunch of mediocre vets and never bottom out to get a star never win shit. Boston was lucky becuase they basically just got the Nets picks and didnt totally have to bottom out as bad as teams like the Sixers and Cavs and Thunder (Sonics partly at the time).

Boston and Philly seem to be the very best well positioned teams long term in the East. Once LeBron goes those 2 teams will likely dominate the EAst for the foresseable future---- Wiz should be good too-- but Boston and Philly just look like they should be stacked going forward.
this should be the model for other franchises. we're in a good spot now.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well- itll be awfully hard for any team to ever get another Nets like trade--- but the blue print has been there and has been succesful.

Bottom out, get high lotto picks, rent out your room to teams with bad contracts and take their draft picks...it definitely is a process- and in between there are some lean years thats for sure- but it at least gives you the opportunity to be great--- instead of being in the middle which is the worst place to be in the league- never getting a high enough pick to get a stud, never being good enough to truly compete (teams like Portland, Memphis and Miami are like this now--- but at least Portland has a star).

As we have seen too- a lot of these stars move via trade now a days so they can try and keep their Bird Rights. Stockpiling the assets to be in position to make those moves is the way you take advantage of that. If another star got put on the market tomorrow- Boston would easily have the most assets to make a deal (after Twolves arleady gave up multiple assets for Butler) etc.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Boston has been great.

But to be fair, this is not a blue print anyone else will be able to follow. That Nets deal was a once in a generation kind of trade that really set the Celtics up. Without those picks, they would basically be the Raptors. A good team with no real chance to win a title. Those Nets picks put them in position to perhaps win the East this year, but to legitimately contend with the West champ (Warriors) down the line.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, the only reason Boston is a contender is that they are in the East and the Cavs are imploding. I doubt they even get home court in the playoffs if they played in the West (they would've been #4 last year, but that's with their Eastern Conference schedule). I also don't see IT being a player they can build around. How much they improve is going to depend a LOT on how they use those upcoming picks and develop Tatum/Brown.

Thomas/Smart/Hayward/Morris/Horford doesn't sound much different than the Jazz team Hayward just came from to me. Hill/Hood/Hayward/Favors/Gobert. Celtics depth is better, and the Celtics do have lottery picks in the rotation, but they still have some developing to do (and Tatum does play the same position as Hayward).