• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

The 3 Year Plan

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've all heard about "The 3 Year Plan". Jeanie, Mitch and Jim have all talked about it and they have all expressed confidence in making it work.

Jim has gone so far as to say that if it doesn't work, he'll step down.

Jeanie has all but said that if it doesn't work, she'll make sure Jim steps down. She has also said that the plan started this year.

In typical Lakers fashion, they are very closed mouth as to what the plan actually is. I thought it might be fun for us Lakers fans to speculate here as to what that plan might be.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Gasol, Lamarcus aldridge. End of Kobes contract next year Kevin Durant. If they tank top 5 pick this year along with Julius Randle.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take:

Year 1 (this year) - I think that the Lakers believe they have the right coach (I'm inclined to agree). So, this year is about 3 things, imo:

1.) Getting Byron's offensive and defensive systems in place.
2.) Seeing what Kobe has left in the tank/showcasing what he has left for future FA's.
3.) Seeing which of the young guys are going to be around for the long term/showcasing some of them for future FA's and/or trades.

Year 2 (and the final year of Kobe's current contract): Nash's contract comes off the books freeing up $9.7 million in cap space. The Lakers will look to re-sign those who are on 1 year deals and that they feel have earned a longer term deal, to longer, cap friendly deals.

They will also look to land either an elite FA and a solid role player FA or a couple of solid, role player FA's. Who they go after will likely depend on who they keep and who they get in the draft (if they get one). It will also be about the continued development of the youngsters and seeing what Kobe still has left in the tank.

Year 3: This is when they will really look to make a splash in the FA market. There are supposed to be several top FA's available and I'd say it's pretty likely that they'll get at least one. In fact, I'd say it will be a pretty big upset if they don't. Assuming Kobe has played at a high level for the past 2 seasons does he:

go ahead and retire? sign a 1 year deal at about the $10-15 million dollar range to see if he can get that 6th bring? join Byron on the bench as an assistant coach?

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc Gasol, Lamarcus aldridge. End of Kobes contract next year Kevin Durant. If they tank top 5 pick this year along with Julius Randle.

From your keyboard to the basketball Gods eyes.:lol:

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe his plan is to try to win a game within 3 years? :noidea:

Anyway, there really is no way for anyone to anticipate what the landscape of the NBA will be 3 years down the road because there will be a whole new CBA.

Whatever it is though, the Lakers will be fine.
What were seeing now is what most expected give or take a little because you've had so many injuries.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Anyway, there really is no way for anyone to anticipate what the landscape of the NBA will be 3 years down the road because there will be a whole new CBA.

What were seeing now is what most expected give or take a little because you've had so many injuries.

:lol: at the bolded.

I agree the Lakers will ultimately be fine. It's going to be a different CBA. However, that doesn't change the overall plan of freeing cap space. I think most expect that the cap will increase, which should work to the Lakers advantage given the Time-Warner deal.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From your keyboard to the basketball Gods eyes.:lol:

Obviously a lot has to fall into place but it is possible lol. I got a list of free agents i will post in a bit, im going to trash lebron right now.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's my take:

Year 1 (this year) - I think that the Lakers believe they have the right coach (I'm inclined to agree). So, this year is about 3 things, imo:

1.) Getting Byron's offensive and defensive systems in place.
2.) Seeing what Kobe has left in the tank/showcasing what he has left for future FA's.
3.) Seeing which of the young guys are going to be around for the long term/showcasing some of them for future FA's and/or trades.

Year 2 (and the final year of Kobe's current contract): Nash's contract comes off the books freeing up $9.7 million in cap space. The Lakers will look to re-sign those who are on 1 year deals and that they feel have earned a longer term deal, to longer, cap friendly deals.

They will also look to land either an elite FA and a solid role player FA or a couple of solid, role player FA's. Who they go after will likely depend on who they keep and who they get in the draft (if they get one). It will also be about the continued development of the youngsters and seeing what Kobe still has left in the tank.

Year 3: This is when they will really look to make a splash in the FA market. There are supposed to be several top FA's available and I'd say it's pretty likely that they'll get at least one. In fact, I'd say it will be a pretty big upset if they don't. Assuming Kobe has played at a high level for the past 2 seasons does he:

go ahead and retire? sign a 1 year deal at about the $10-15 million dollar range to see if he can get that 6th bring? join Byron on the bench as an assistant coach?

Thoughts?

Trojan that was well done!!!!:yahoo: I can live with that plan.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeannie also said she would love for Kobe to sign another contract after his 2 years are up.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Tank City and get our top 5 protected pick (this should be a 1, 4, or 5 spot depending on who is available and on #3 below)
2) Re-sign Kobe to a smaller contract
3) Get Gasol or Aldridge this year
4) Bring back Randle and make him a 3 spot

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Im conflicted. Usually i want to attack Turnup but he makes sense here....hmmmm:noidea:

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've all heard about "The 3 Year Plan". Jeanie, Mitch and Jim have all talked about it and they have all expressed confidence in making it work.

Jim has gone so far as to say that if it doesn't work, he'll step down.

Jeanie has all but said that if it doesn't work, she'll make sure Jim steps down. She has also said that the plan started this year.

In typical Lakers fashion, they are very closed mouth as to what the plan actually is. I thought it might be fun for us Lakers fans to speculate here as to what that plan might be.

im not on board with this. I don't see why jim buss is being given a clean slate. yeah some things didn't go his way like the failed cp3 trade. but he did hire dantoni over Jackson on whats viewed as a ego move. the extreme delay in hiring a coach impacted free agents. his 3 year plan will end up being 5-6 years. in the unfortunate even should they strike out on any big names again in 2015 I think its time for him to move on. but guess another question is move on to who. Jeanie? if I remember right on first take she mentioned she doesn't know much about running a team which is why she conceded to her brother. maybe you just let the GM have total control.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
im not on board with this. I don't see why jim buss is being given a clean slate. yeah some things didn't go his way like the failed cp3 trade. but he did hire dantoni over Jackson on whats viewed as a ego move. the extreme delay in hiring a coach impacted free agents. his 3 year plan will end up being 5-6 years. in the unfortunate even should they strike out on any big names again in 2015 I think its time for him to move on. but guess another question is move on to who. Jeanie? if I remember right on first take she mentioned she doesn't know much about running a team which is why she conceded to her brother. maybe you just let the GM have total control.

A few of the things that Jim has been blamed for were done or signed off on by Dr. Buss, including the hiring of D'Antoni. Dr. Buss wanted a return to Showtime style basketball, and like it or not, that's the style D'Antoni runs (at least on offense). What Jim can be blamed for is not keeping Phil "in the fold" by at least creating some sort of "adviser role" or something for him (that's where the "ego move" came in).

Phil has his own share of the blame in this too. Phil's ego is enormous and tends to dominate an organization. Things always end badly with him. Yes, he also brings titles, but his act always wears thin.

As far as Jeanie. She is the one who is said to be most like Dr. Buss. The Dr. Buss way was to hire the best basketball minds that he could get and then let them do their jobs while he worked on other innovations to make for a better fan experience and drive revenue (i.e. the Lakers girls were the first of the dancers/cheerleaders that all NBA teams have and he was the first to sell "naming rights" for an arena when "The Fabulous Forum" became "The Great Western Forum"). I think that's more of the way Jeanie would handle it.

Keep in mind to that the death of Dr. Buss threw the entire organization into a bit of a tailspin. They didn't just lose the team owner and boss, they lost their father. I think that's part of the reason that Jim is being given a clean slate. I'd be surprised if Jim's 3 year plan gets extended to 5-6 years. Everyone knows that he said he'd step down after 3 if the plan doesn't work and he'd likely be hounded out of it if he tried to extend it.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agents this year

C

Marc Gasol
Robin Lopez
Deandre Jordan
Drew Gooden
Kevin Garnett
Nazr Mohammed
Kendrick Perkins
Tyson Chandler
Bismack Biyombo

PF

Jason Maxiell
Derrick Williams
Reggie Evans
Lamarcus Aldridge
Tyler Hansborough
Tristan Thompson
Amare Stoudomire
Luis Scola
Paul Millisap

PG
Brandon Knight RFA
Reggie Jackson RFA
Mo Williams
Cj Watson
Rodney Stuckey
Nate Robinson
Rajon Rondo
Aaron Brooks
Norris Cole RFA

SF
Landry Fields
Rudy Gay
Gerald Green
Shawn Marion
Mike Dunleavy
Tayshawn Prince
Jimmy Bulter RFA
Rasual Butler
Omri Casspi

SG
Wesley Matthews
Xman
Danny Green
Marcus Thornton
Jason Terry
Austin Rivers
Glen Robinson JR
Anthony Morrow
Marco Benlinelli

Left some guys out. Thats pretty much it though.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agents this year

C

Marc Gasol
Robin Lopez
Deandre Jordan
Drew Gooden
Kevin Garnett
Nazr Mohammed
Kendrick Perkins
Tyson Chandler
Bismack Biyombo

PF

Jason Maxiell
Derrick Williams
Reggie Evans
Lamarcus Aldridge
Tyler Hansborough
Tristan Thompson
Amare Stoudomire
Luis Scola
Paul Millisap

PG
Brandon Knight RFA
Reggie Jackson RFA
Mo Williams
Cj Watson
Rodney Stuckey
Nate Robinson
Rajon Rondo
Aaron Brooks
Norris Cole RFA

SF
Landry Fields
Rudy Gay
Gerald Green
Shawn Marion
Mike Dunleavy
Tayshawn Prince
Jimmy Bulter RFA
Rasual Butler
Omri Casspi

SG
Wesley Matthews
Xman
Danny Green
Marcus Thornton
Jason Terry
Austin Rivers
Glen Robinson JR
Anthony Morrow
Marco Benlinelli

Left some guys out. Thats pretty much it though.

In no particular order, they should have Gasol, Jordan, Aldridge and Rondo as tops on the list.

Gasol - arguably the best center in the league. As good as Pau was in his prime, Marc is better.

Jordan - limited offensively, but he's an absolute beast on defense. A little work with Kareem and he could be solid offensively to go along with being great on defense.

Aldridge - the only problem with getting him is that we have Randle who seems like he'll be very good.

Rondo - a pass first point guard and very good perimeter defender. I think bringing in Rondo as the starter with Lin coming off the bench, would give the Lakers a PG who doesn't get scorched by every PG with a pulse and another PG who can score when needed. Both are excellent passers.

Those are the guys I'd offer max level deals to anyway.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJF12. Those are the exact guys I was thinking of as well and would really provide a solid team.

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have a lot of things in their favor to pull this off this year. They are the cap space. They are the Lakers. The ability to tell these guys they can all come in fresh and start something new here. And everything else that comes with LA.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree TJF12. Those are the exact guys I was thinking of as well and would really provide a solid team.

On Aldridge: would you go after him even though we have Randle? If so, does Randle become trade bait?

Inimical

Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Aldridge: would you go after him even though we have Randle? If so, does Randle become trade bait?

Hell no. On a rookie contract his ass stays on the bench weather he likes it or not lol.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd either go after Aldridge and keep Randle or keep Kelly and Randle and pursue other needs like Gasol and maybe Rondo.