• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas Rangers 2019-2020 Offseason Thread

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injury protection. Bet he is released at some point though
A replacement catcher is something that we have been able to find quite easily down through the years.

They may be thinking another team will suffer a Catcher injury in ST and ask for Mathis, but there are usually lots of AAA or AAAA catchers to be had.

If we sign Castellanos then Mathis would make sense to be the guy who is released.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He hasn't even been that good of a AAA hitter.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Castellanos seems to be the next target.

it pisses me off how this front office does business.

if the rangers wanted castellanos, I’m pretty sure they could’ve had him.

I suspect we have given him what amounts to be a team friendly offer and his agent is probably sitting on it. Now that Donaldson is off the market, other teams will probably get in on castellanos.

if we gave castellanos a good offer last week or 2 weeks ago, he would probably be on the team.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it pisses me off how this front office does business.

if the rangers wanted castellanos, I’m pretty sure they could’ve had him.

I suspect we have given him what amounts to be a team friendly offer and his agent is probably sitting on it. Now that Donaldson is off the market, other teams will probably get in on castellanos.

if we gave castellanos a good offer last week or 2 weeks ago, he would probably be on the team.

What do you think he's worth? What's a reasonable offer?

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do you think he's worth? What's a reasonable offer?

It’s not my job to make offers.

I was just lashing out because the castellanos “ pursuit” is starting to feel like our half assed attempt to get Rendon. It’s not fair to get the fans hopes up when our lineup needs a ton of help. There’s about 10 lineups in the American League better than ours off the top of my head.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He hasn't even been that good of a AAA hitter.

He did hit .325/.391/.525 vs. LHP in the minors..
It’s not my job to make offers.

I was just lashing out because the castellanos “ pursuit” is starting to feel like our half assed attempt to get Rendon. It’s not fair to get the fans hopes up when our lineup needs a ton of help. There’s about 10 lineups in the American League better than ours off the top of my head.

Good point. Our lineup does leave a lot to be desired.
Castellanos should be a must right now.
The guy has consistently had an OPS over .800. I feel like he might be the best bargain of the offseason. With a move to first base this year and then a move to DH after this year his defense wouldn’t be a negative.
He had an offense WAR of 4.7 and a defense WAR of negative -2.4.
He is not a good outfielder or 3B but has a good bat. Love all the doubles too
He doesn’t have a draft pick tagged to him either.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did hit .325/.391/.525 vs. LHP in the minors..

Good point. Our lineup does leave a lot to be desired.
Castellanos should be a must right now.
The guy has consistently had an OPS over .800. I feel like he might be the best bargain of the offseason. With a move to first base this year and then a move to DH after this year his defense wouldn’t be a negative.
He had an offense WAR of 4.7 and a defense WAR of negative -2.4.
He is not a good outfielder or 3B but has a good bat. Love all the doubles too
He doesn’t have a draft pick tagged to him either.

Last year was all about the youth movement and none of them really panned out as expected.

what the hell is the theme of this year besides “ come check out the new ball park”?

I was able to overlook the front office not making any effort to fix the offense last year, but I’ll be very disappointed if Frazier and Chirinos is all they bring in.

DTC

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last year was all about the youth movement and none of them really planned out as expected.

what the hell is the theme of this year besides “ come check out the new ball park”?

I was able to overlook the front office not making any effort to fix the offense last year, but I’ll be very disappointed if Frazier and Chirinos is all they bring in.

I feel ya man..
But the front office has been pretty busy this year.
I’m excited that we got Kluber, Gibson and Lyles. Most other years we would get a guy like Gibson and a guy like Jeremy Hellickson and then let the 5th spot be settled out of spring training. Which would mainly result in having only 2-3 good SP and then having 2-3 really bad SP which is a big deal.. I hope Jon Daniels never runs such a crappy starting 5 out there ever again..
“Lance Lynn and Mike Minor combined for 416 innings and a 3.62 ERA in 65 starts. The other 17 pitchers to make at least one start? A 7.22 ERA in 391.1 innings over 97 starts, and an average of barely four innings per start.” 2020 Texas Rangers positional analysis: Minor-Lynn combo gives starters hope, but what about the rest of the rotation?

I wonder how many games we would have won last year if we had just 3 regular SP with a 4.50-4.75 ERA after Lynn and Minor?
The bullpen would have performed better as well if they’re not overworked.
Replace Mathis, Cabrera/IKF, and Guzman as well and I think we would have won 15 more games last year in total.
It looks like that is what they’re trying to do right now so I’m pretty happy.
If we add Castellanos or another bat I think we can win 90-95 games next year. If we don’t add another bat I think we’re at like 85-90.. which just isn’t going to cut it.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel ya man..
But the front office has been pretty busy this year.
I’m excited that we got Kluber, Gibson and Lyles. Most other years we would get a guy like Gibson and a guy like Jeremy Hellickson and then let the 5th spot be settled out of spring training. Which would mainly result in having only 2-3 good SP and then having 2-3 really bad SP which is a big deal.. I hope Jon Daniels never runs such a crappy starting 5 out there ever again..
“Lance Lynn and Mike Minor combined for 416 innings and a 3.62 ERA in 65 starts. The other 17 pitchers to make at least one start? A 7.22 ERA in 391.1 innings over 97 starts, and an average of barely four innings per start.” 2020 Texas Rangers positional analysis: Minor-Lynn combo gives starters hope, but what about the rest of the rotation?

I wonder how many games we would have won last year if we had just 3 regular SP with a 4.50-4.75 ERA after Lynn and Minor?
The bullpen would have performed better as well if they’re not overworked.
Replace Mathis, Cabrera/IKF, and Guzman as well and I think we would have won 15 more games last year in total.
It looks like that is what they’re trying to do right now so I’m pretty happy.
If we add Castellanos or another bat I think we can win 90-95 games next year. If we don’t add another bat I think we’re at like 85-90.. which just isn’t going to cut it.

we’re on the same page. It really does feel like they badly need to get castellanos.

the 1st base and 3rd base offensive production last year didn’t even come close to major league level.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fine with running Guzman out there again in 2020.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong ex-manager.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am fine with running Guzman out there again in 2020.

I think a platoon is the best choice with occasionally letting him bat against lefties.

I think you don’t realize just how much more his bat needs to develop. Most teams hide a bad fielder at first base and just put some guy who can really freaking hit over there.

hardly anyone trots out a Mendoza at first base with little to no power... except for us I guess.