• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texas HS coaches down on A&M's move

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Losing tradition a primary reason why coaches unhappy with jump to SEC
By Damon Sayles

Archive Texas A&M blew an 18-point lead in the second half in a 42-38 loss to Arkansas on Saturday, its third straight loss to the Razorbacks and seventh straight loss to an SEC opponent.

Is this what the Aggies have to look forward to as it prepares for membership in the SEC?

Effective July 2012, the Aggies will no longer be affiliated with Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State or the Big 12 and several prominent Texas high school coaches feel the Aggies' secession from the Big 12 is a mistake once recruiting and fan traveling is factored in.

Ask Phil Danaher, who coaches at Corpus Christi (Texas) Calallen and is in his 41st year of coaching, and it's all about tradition. Danaher thinks A&M playing in the SEC opens the door for recruiting, but whether or not recruits want to see A&M's current losing trend continue against SEC opponents is a big concern.

"If they don't do well in the SEC, I think you'll see kids in Texas wanting to stay in Texas," Danaher said. "A&M's a very fine academic school, but as far as athletics go, the kids are seeing if they can be successful in the SEC. If so, I think it will benefit them, as they will have the same opportunities they had in Big 12. I don't see where this will help A&M much, but I can see where it could hurt if they don't win."

Kids who go to Texas or any other school in the state go because they want their families to be able to see them in person on a regular basis. I understand why A&M's doing what they're doing, but the fans in Texas prefer to watch their teams on the road playing in state as opposed to Florida and South Carolina.

-- Lufkin (Texas) HS coach John Outlaw

The last A&M win against an SEC opponent occurred 16 years ago against LSU, and its last win over Arkansas was in 1991.

Danaher, John Outlaw (Lufkin, Texas) and Dave Meadows (Katy, Texas/Morton Ranch) are three coaches who combined have nearly 100 years of coaching experience and are closing in on 1,000 victories. When news originally broke of A&M leaving the Big 12, all three coaches, traditionalists by nature, immediately thought of A&M's rivalries against Texas and Oklahoma and the possibility that those rivalries would be lost.

A&M supporters will argue that new rivalries will bud in the SEC, such as the border war with Arkansas. All three Texas coaches, however, countered that argument with the additional travel that fans will have to make. Rather than a doable drive to Austin, Texas, or Norman, Okla., fans would have to fly to big road games, particularly against Florida, South Carolina, Alabama and Georgia.

"Rivalries with Texas and OU, that's worth something," Meadows said. "It's inviting, like a kid with a new birthday toy. Plus, I think in the long run, fans aren't going to appreciate having to fly so far."

Outlaw added: "Kids who go to Texas or any other school in the state go because they want their families to be able to see them in person on a regular basis. I understand why A&M's doing what they're doing, but the fans in Texas prefer to watch their teams on the road playing in state as opposed to Florida and South Carolina."

All three coaches believe the lone positive to A&M joining the SEC involves additional player exposure. Some of the standout players from Texas will get more nationally televised opportunities to raise their professional stocks against some of the elite athletes in the country.

The biggest drawback in A&M's secession, however, resurfaces to tradition. The days of A&M playing Texas or Oklahoma simply for state or border bragging rights could be a thing of the past. All three coaches have had players in college come back and talk about the experience and joy of being in a stadium tunnel with teammates preparing for a huge rivalry clash.

"I'm very traditional. I hated to see Southwest Conference break up," Danaher said. "By nature, most people don't like change. I believe in tradition; that's what carries programs on, the tradition that's established. You'd hate to see that disappear."

Meadows added: "I coached Von Miller and Cyrus Gray in high school [at DeSoto, Texas]. If this would have happened in the middle of their careers, I would have been irritated. I think this is going to cheat some of the kids out of history and tradition. Some say this will give our kids a chance to play in the SEC. I think we've got players who already have those chances."

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you love something....set it free.......

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aTm is tired of texas. they fixed problem. move on.

Agreed on fixing the "Texas problem". The point of the article is have they hurt their recruiting doing it? I think they're going to get hell beat out of them on a regular basis in the SEC. That much losing plus the coaches' attitudes may not end up being a positive for the aTm football program in the long run.

TexasFight98VI

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
One thing Aggie and Team SEC doesn't understand is, kids choose schools, not conferences. Kinda like how Team SEC doesn't understand that teams win championships, not conferences. With that being said, elite athletes are not going to pick A&M while the Aggies are fighting Vandy, UK and the Mississippis schools for room in the SEC basement. Aggie can't compete or recruit while in the Big 12; nothing will change once they move to the SEC. They will be irrelevant the way Arky has been since they joined the conference over 20 years ago.

HighTide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids who go to Texas or any other school in the state go because they want their families to be able to see them in person on a regular basis. I understand why A&M's doing what they're doing, but the fans in Texas prefer to watch their teams on the road playing in state as opposed to Florida and South Carolina.

That is a poor argument considering, College Station is just as far away from Iowa State as it is from Gainesville. Hell, even Colorado and Nebraska were similar distances. Lets not forget that OU, OSU, and TT are just as far away as Arkansas and LSU. Besides, they will only have to make the trip out to those places once every 6 or 7 years. So it probably isn't an issue.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a poor argument considering, College Station is just as far away from Iowa State as it is from Gainesville. Hell, even Colorado and Nebraska were similar distances. Lets not forget that OU, OSU, and TT are just as far away as Arkansas and LSU. Besides, they will only have to make the trip out to those places once every 6 or 7 years. So it probably isn't an issue.

Yes, it is an issue. Most of A&M's games were played within the state of Texas, where kids played against other kids they went to school with, or played against.

There will be a huge lack of familiarity there. This will negatively impact A&M recruiting.

Only two things will mitigate this - A&M winning, or A&M hiring a coach with brand name recognition.

As it stands, they'll more than likely lose most of their games coming into the SEC because they'll be rebuilding. They can't afford to buyout their current coach.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some say this will give our kids a chance to play in the SEC. I think we've got players who already have those chances

Thats the most real quote in the bunch. Texas has some of the top talent in the nation, no doubt. If Texas athletes want to play in the SEC, they already have those chances. All this talk of ooh you in the SEC now, that gives you street credit....lmao. Whatever. Alabama has street credit, Florida has street credit, LSU has street credit, thats about it

A player getting recruited by OU or Texas is most likely being recruited by the same schools in the SEC. The loud voice saying "you in the sec so you automaticly good now" are fans of teams like Georgia, SC, Tennesse, Auburn and so on. They bask in the glory and acomplishments of Bama, LSU and Florida during the BCS and sometimes celebrate their recent history as if their own.

Last edited by a moderator:

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some say this will give our kids a chance to play in the SEC. I think we've got players who already have those chances

Thats the most real quote in the bunch. Texas has some of the top talent in the nation, no doubt. If Texas athletes want to play in the SEC, they already have those chances. All this talk of ooh you in the SEC now, that gives you street credit....lmao. Whatever. Alabama has street credit, Florida has street credit, LSU has street credit, thats about it.

Add Auburn, Tennessee, and Georgia and I will agree with you.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Add Auburn, Tennessee, and Georgia and I will agree with you.

I can't. Those teams don't belong. No offense to you guys as fans but lets look at some facts.

Tennesse is a tier below the top. They are in the top 20 in winning % for the BCS era just coming in at 18th with .672 average. Sure they got a national championship in 98 but they havn't done shit since then.

Georgia has won alot of games and thats it. No championships or even championship appereances.

Auburn you could say has been just the opposite of Tennessee. Coming in at 17th with .674 average in the BCS era, they are winners of the latest championship. Simliar to Tennessee, they hadn't done shit before that aside from 04.

OU, Texas, Florida are top tier with not only winning % but multipul bcs championship apperences and multipul wins for Florida.

Alabama/LSU is a package deal because Nick Saban built that gem they have at LSU and now its just a machine that with the right mechanic just needs some oiling. Saban has duplicated his success at LSU in Bama. These two programs also make top tier.

The rest of you are not there. You don't have the coaching and or talent to compete. Not saying you dont have top talent or top coaching, you just don't have both at the same time.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thats the most real quote in the bunch. Texas has some of the top talent in the nation, no doubt. If Texas athletes want to play in the SEC, they already have those chances. All this talk of ooh you in the SEC now, that gives you street credit....lmao. Whatever. Alabama has street credit, Florida has street credit, LSU has street credit, thats about it

A player getting recruited by OU or Texas is most likely being recruited by the same schools in the SEC. The loud voice saying "you in the sec so you automaticly good now" are fans of teams like Georgia, SC, Tennesse, Auburn and so on. They bask in the glory and acomplishments of Bama, LSU and Florida during the BCS and sometimes celebrate their recent history as if their own.

THIS.

Texas and OU put as much talent into the NFL as the SEC. Texas alone puts more talent in than any current SEC team.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee is still consider elite among a lot of recruits. Granted a lot has to do with coaches. Fulmer had the #3 recruiting class just 4 years ago. Kiffin had a top ten recruiting class.

Georgia has been a top ten program winning percentage wise this decade.

Auburn is the only BCS AQ program to have two undefeated seasons in the BCS era.

All three are elite programs. UCLA fans and Cal fans still came out in droves excited to see their team play Tennessee. We still have our cred even if we have struggled recently.

OU and Texas are definitely elite programs but let's face it, they are the product of a weak league that has no one to challenge them on a year to year basis other than each other. Stick them in the cauldron of the SEC and they are another Auburn/Georgia/TN/LSU, etc.

Every SEC fan will tell you there is a big 6 in the SEC right now. Arkansas and South Carolina are trying to climb into that 6 but they haven't done enough yet to get there.

goDAWGSsicem

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee is still consider elite among a lot of recruits. Granted a lot has to do with coaches. Fulmer had the #3 recruiting class just 4 years ago. Kiffin had a top ten recruiting class.

Georgia has been a top ten program winning percentage wise this decade.

Auburn is the only BCS AQ program to have two undefeated seasons in the BCS era.

All three are elite programs. UCLA fans and Cal fans still came out in droves excited to see their team play Tennessee. We still have our cred even if we have struggled recently.

OU and Texas are definitely elite programs but let's face it, they are the product of a weak league that has no one to challenge them on a year to year basis other than each other. Stick them in the cauldron of the SEC and they are another Auburn/Georgia/TN/LSU, etc.

Every SEC fan will tell you there is a big 6 in the SEC right now. Arkansas and South Carolina are trying to climb into that 6 but they haven't done enough yet to get there.

Thanks. I hate to correct you, but it was LAST decade. LOL

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I think you have like 3 more players than UGA.

From 2010...

College to NFL pipeline: Which school is best? - ESPN

Good article and for MarkOU, Tennessee has placed more players in NFL then any other SEC team. Tennessee players have done very well in the NFL in recent history as well:

I will limit them to this decade

Albert Haynesworth (was top DT for a few years), Peyton Manning, Robert Meachem (starting WR New Orleans), Arian Foster (Number 1 Runningback last year in NFL), Jamal Lewis, Pireless Price, John Henderson (several probowlers, been NFL starter most his career), Omar Gaither (starts for New England), Jerod Mayo, Montario Hardesty (back-up Cleveland Browns), Jason Witten (starting TE for Cowboys, one of the best TEs in the league), Travis Henry, Eric Berry, Kevin Burnett, Kelley Washington (started for Bengals a few seasons), Shawn Bryson (started for Bills for awhile before retiring), Will Overstreet (offensive linemen), and Donte Stallworth.

I could name all of these without even looking at a list or research. Tennessee has been one of the elite programs for a while. Yes 2005-2009 have been rough. We still managed an SEC East Championship in 2007 despite it.

It is hard for a new coach to rebuild a program such as Tennessee when you have a schedule that has a games at Florida, at Alabama, LSU at home, at Arkansas, South Carolina and Georgia at home.

Volbound1700

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks. I hate to correct you, but it was LAST decade. LOL

You're right.

I keep talking about 2000 to now. That decade is over. Thank goodness. Worse decade in Tennessee history since we have been in the SEC. Still finished #17 overall for the decade according to CFBdatawarehouse.com.

metal_frk_334

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't see A&M being as bad as say, Ole Miss, Kentucky and Vandy. They should at least have a respectable record in the SEC. They could even be as competitive as Arkansas is, for whatever that is worth to people...