• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Texans, Others Interested in Osweiler?

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this I did not see coming:

According to Peter Burns (104.3 FM Denver) multiple teams have contacted the Denver Broncos about backup quarterback Brock Osweiler. It appears that one of those teams was the Houston Texans.
Osweiler has been with the Broncos since 2012 when he was drafted in the second round (57th overall) out of Arizona State. At 6-8 and 240 pounds, Osweiler has appeared in 9 games over the past two seasons in light duty. Only 107 yards in his career, Osweiler is an unknown quantity at the quarterback position sitting behind Peyton Manning.
The Texans seem to be checking every avenue in regards to the quarterback position, and it appears they are working hard looking at NFL backups. It will be interesting to see how the Texans address the quarterback situation for 2014, and there seems to be no set way on how the Texans plan to acquire their quarterback for the near future.

Report: Texans Inquire About Brock Osweiler : State of the Texans

Somehow I'm thinking this is coming from the notorious 'Silly Season" in the NFL. Don't see any major outlet reporting yet (outside of Bleacher Report, who simply reposted this link). However, I wouldn't mind some other team overcompensating Denver for Osweiler's services. I have my doubts that we would see that happen though.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Milehighreport said up to 4 teams have shown interest in acquiring Osweiler so I think there has to be some truth to it. I do think at this point people need to remember 1) there are going to be a ton of rumors (I'm just as guilty as any in getting wrapped up in all of them). 2) Teams are going to test every avenue possible so it doesn't surprise me if teams have called just wanting to know value wise what it would take. This kind of reminds me of when the whole Cutler thing went crazy. New England if I remember right had called McDaniels and just asked if he had any interest in Cassel. Cutler got upset that McDaniels would even take the call and felt disrespected. Something of that nature. too long ago to remember and too lazy to look it all up.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn`t surprise about interest in Brock, as this time of yr Qb desperate teams are always looking at backup guys that might be their savior or short term solution if the price is right/ not thrilled about options in draft. To me anyway, I wouldn`t be surprised if Denver at least listens to what they offer because from what I`ve heard in past, Denver is pretty high on Dysert. If Denver figures they can get another 2-3 yrs from Manning and their confident enough in Dysert to back up Manning for time being, why not see if you can work a trade with Brock that will benifit team and pk up a qb in late rd of draft this yr or next. I can actually see that as a possibility. Elway and co. just might not be as keen on Brock as "we" all think. He hasn`t been poorish in his time but he hasn`t lit it up either albiet he hasn`t had many chances to exhibit his "talents"really. Maybe they see more promise in Dysert than Brock. If the past has any validity, there hasn`t been a 6`6 qb who`s had a good Nfl career yet. Just saying. Imo most humble opinion gents.:noidea:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There aren't a lot of people over 6'6" though that play quarterback so small sample size. I do agree it is worth hearing what teams offer. Say Houston offers that high 2nd round pick and maybe say a 4th then with how deep this draft is that could be great value plus use say that extra 4th on a late round quarterback like say Aaron Murray. Gets us an extra starter out of a very deep draft and gives us some moving around ability throughout the draft.

Now if the broncos though see a very good franchise qb out of Os then I wouldn't trade him for anything less than a mid-first round pick plus more

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry cd but couldn`t resist. Frank Patrick 6`7- (Packers `70-`72), Sonny Gibbs 6`7-(Lions `64). Qb`s at 6`6.... Derek Andersen- Clev Browns, John Navarre- Cards ( `04-`05),Scott Mitchell- 4 teams, Marc Wison and Jamarcus Russell- Raiders and of the current 6-6 qbs you got Flacco ( one yr wonder really) and Ryan Mallet- Pats ( who was trade talk last yr. :whistle:) Yes, not that many but still only batting about .150 if ya throw in Andersen and Flacco. Just showin the odds my friend ( tongue in cheek ya know cd:suds:)

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,454.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They had success trading for a back up before.

A guy with great measureables, who many thought could be really good, jsut needed groomed.........jsut got to sit behind one of if not the GOAT for a few years..........seems like he could have got the grooming

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn`t surprise about interest in Brock, as this time of yr Qb desperate teams are always looking at backup guys that might be their savior or short term solution if the price is right/ not thrilled about options in draft. To me anyway, I wouldn`t be surprised if Denver at least listens to what they offer because from what I`ve heard in past, Denver is pretty high on Dysert. If Denver figures they can get another 2-3 yrs from Manning and their confident enough in Dysert to back up Manning for time being, why not see if you can work a trade with Brock that will benifit team and pk up a qb in late rd of draft this yr or next. I can actually see that as a possibility. Elway and co. just might not be as keen on Brock as "we" all think. He hasn`t been poorish in his time but he hasn`t lit it up either albiet he hasn`t had many chances to exhibit his "talents"really. Maybe they see more promise in Dysert than Brock. If the past has any validity, there hasn`t been a 6`6 qb who`s had a good Nfl career yet. Just saying. Imo most humble opinion gents.:noidea:
From what I understand, Osweiler is a personal friend of the Elways. So I wonder how much that has played in the whole thing with him. Out of college Elway was really high on him. Not sure how much that has changed.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randymon, now tell me how many QBs under 6'6" have had success and how many have failed. I am willing to bet the odds are not very good in that direction.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Randymon, now tell me how many QBs under 6'6" have had success and how many have failed. I am willing to bet the odds are not very good in that direction.

Lol Bronco. Well it was just kinda funin with cd but for your question, I can only say how many have succeeded? Its like if you went to one well to get water and it tasted like shit everytime, but the well next to it produced good water every now and then, what well would you dip your bucket in? ODDS are...the 2nd well. Just sayin...and have in fun with ya Bronc

Miked383

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now this I did not see coming:

Report: Texans Inquire About Brock Osweiler : State of the Texans

Somehow I'm thinking this is coming from the notorious 'Silly Season" in the NFL. Don't see any major outlet reporting yet (outside of Bleacher Report, who simply reposted this link). However, I wouldn't mind some other team overcompensating Denver for Osweiler's services. I have my doubts that we would see that happen though.

I think it would make sense for the Texans to look at trading for a QB, I think they really want to take Clowney but know they have a glaring hole. Brock is a much better option for them than any QB they could get in round 2. I could see the Broncos letting go of Brock with Dysert on the roster. They wouldn't have kept him on the roster all year if they didn't have big plans for him.

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This could prove interesting, since Osweiler would become FA before Manning is scheduled to leave. And it appears Manning could very well play out the remainder of his contract, due to this language in his contract I found:

2015 salary gauarantees if on the roster at the end of 2014
2016 salary gauarantees if on the roster at the end of 2015

Seems to me, that unless Manning suffers a career-ending injury in 2014, that his salary is guaranteed for 2015. And same for 2015-2016. On the other hand, Osweiler becomes FA after 2015. Not sure how retirement affects the salary cap number, but seems to me there could be a big cap hit if Manning retires before his contract is finished, based on the wording. Denver might be better off trading Osweiler and getting value for him, since if Manning is still here, I have doubts Denver would want to pay both Manning and Oz. Dysert would become FA same time Manning would.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Texan's don't need to go down this road again. Texans will get a qb in the draft.

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my only beef with this is that we've had Oz being "groomed" by Manning the past couple years now, and IMO he's the future of this team at QB. Hate to think that time and effort could be a waste, if they somehow did trade him away. I did like what I saw from Dysert in his limited preseason action last year, but I'd still like to think that Oz is next in line to lead this team.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my only beef with this is that we've had Oz being "groomed" by Manning the past couple years now, and IMO he's the future of this team at QB. Hate to think that time and effort could be a waste, if they somehow did trade him away. I did like what I saw from Dysert in his limited preseason action last year, but I'd still like to think that Oz is next in line to lead this team.
I know what ya mean Doc but Oz wouldn`t be the first hopeful/potential replacement for an aging qb who doesn`t pan out. Could be,even though Dysert has less time on the "Manning" learning scale, he just might be absorbing more than Oz and Bronco brass are noticing. If both Oz and Zack are still in Denver come pre-season, it would be nice to get a good dose of both and we all get good look at the two of them. Wouldn`t floor me if Denver does move Oz though if the gettin is good. Maybe.....wait for it....... Denver aquires JJ Watt from Houston for Oz,1st and 4th this yr and 1st and 3rd next yr???? Hey! we`ve all seen crazier shit than that before. Maybe not so crazy.......:noidea:

WalkerBoh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know what ya mean Doc but Oz wouldn`t be the first hopeful/potential replacement for an aging qb who doesn`t pan out. Could be,even though Dysert has less time on the "Manning" learning scale, he just might be absorbing more than Oz and Bronco brass are noticing. If both Oz and Zack are still in Denver come pre-season, it would be nice to get a good dose of both and we all get good look at the two of them. Wouldn`t floor me if Denver does move Oz though if the gettin is good. Maybe.....wait for it....... Denver aquires JJ Watt from Houston for Oz,1st and 4th this yr and 1st and 3rd next yr???? Hey! we`ve all seen crazier shit than that before. Maybe not so crazy.......:noidea:

Wait.... are you suggesting we give Texas Osweiler, 2 1st round picks, a 3rd and a 4th for Watt??? That would be Al Davis crazy, and not even Watt is worth that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Randymon that might be going a bit overboard. I could understand Oz and our 1st this year with a late round pick but you have to remember us getting Watt means we have to pay him. We already have a truck load of other guys that are looking to get paid. Plus our DT position has been heavily invested in with Wolfe and Sly both being premium picks plus signing/re-signing Vick and Knighton.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol Bronco. Well it was just kinda funin with cd but for your question, I can only say how many have succeeded? Its like if you went to one well to get water and it tasted like shit everytime, but the well next to it produced good water every now and then, what well would you dip your bucket in? ODDS are...the 2nd well. Just sayin...and have in fun with ya Bronc

Except QBs as a whole likely don't have a particularly better success rate. It's a seriously over drafted position and most QBs in general never amount to much.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I figured I`d get that kind of response and can`t says I blames ya and maybe a 1st in 2015 might be too much but other than that, it isn`t beyond the realm of possibility guys. I really don`t think Texas Brass would have much of a life span left if they dealt Watt but desperate times call for deperate measures ya know. I just like the thought of Watt and Miller on the edges and what a force to be reckoned with they would be. Yes...its been raining alot and I accidently ate a stupid sandwich but..... like I said...crazy shit happens

MrDoc420

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I do think Dysert has potential, but I'd still be leaning towards Oz for the future. Who knows though....if somebody offers up enough anything could happen.

Once preseason comes, hopefully we'll get a fat dose of both Dysert and Oz and get a better grasp on who could be next.

Only 5 months out :yahoo:

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I do think Dysert has potential, but I'd still be leaning towards Oz for the future. Who knows though....if somebody offers up enough anything could happen.

Once preseason comes, hopefully we'll get a fat dose of both Dysert and Oz and get a better grasp on who could be next.

Only 5 months out :yahoo:
Yes sir and looking forwad to the March 11th FA frenzy to begin also Doc