• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tevin Coleman on Lions Radar?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions met with Coleman for the second time at his pro-day. I find this interesting because the Lions would have to take him at 23 because he last last until their next pick. Trading down for him may even be risky considering the other teams that have been reported as interested also.

RB Tevin Coleman Dazzles at IU Pro Day but Doesn't Assuage Concerns About Game | Bleacher Report

I have a buddy that knows Coleman and his family and has said very good things about the kid.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect the Lions to trade down and take their chances. It would be well worth it. I think Melvin Gordon will most likely go first and if he is avalable at 23, the Lions should definitely trade down and take their chances. If Dallas does not wrangle AP away from the Vikes, they would only be a few spots behind us so not so much risk as they would want Gordon. Tampa would be another obvious possibility with pick 1 of the 2nd round, but there are many teams in between that could snag Coleman as well. Still worth chancing though.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. Coleman seems to be a really good fit for some of those teams at the bottom of the first round, especially Dallas. I still believe the Lions are in the sweet spot where at least two of the top RBs will be available.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me guess? You cant draft a RB if you dont draft a oline first..blah...blah or Lionstop1loves skilled players..blah..blah...or...there is some kind of code to follow in the draft...blah..blah..or the Lions need to draft for need, not shiny new toys...blah..or me and "Bubbles
" think alike...
Go ahead, say it.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me guess? You cant draft a RB if you dont draft a oline first..blah...blah or Lionstop1loves skilled players..blah..blah...or...there is some kind of code to follow in the draft...blah..blah..or the Lions need to draft for need, not shiny new toys...blah..or me and "Bubbles
" think alike...
Go ahead, say it.
It. :dhd:

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Mayhew trading back. Not his style at all. He does it in later rounds, but has always moved up for his guy. This would be the draft to prove me wrong in though. I will take a extra 2nd or 3rd pick. I just don't see him doing it.

Yes LS1, I agree that to get him it would be at 23.

With the trade scenario... J. Jones would be a good partner. Is Steven making the calls now or not? I see them going defense first, as that unit is in need of some talent bad. A 2nd round RB will still thrive behind that line IMO.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Knowing mayhew he will be trading up in second to draft Coleman.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with Coleman if he's still there in the 2nd for us, he'd be a great fit for sure. But I wouldn't touch him in the 1st round, nor do I expect him to go in the 1st. Gurley is the only back I'd consider at #23- there's just too many good players available at that pick still who play more valuable positions (like o-line, d-line, or CB) imo...

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't drive to the stadium to watch Coleman run if I don't have a car and if he doesn't have an o-line that can block it won't matter that I don't have a car because there wont be anything worth watching.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Mayhew trading back. Not his style at all. He does it in later rounds, but has always moved up for his guy. This would be the draft to prove me wrong in though. I will take a extra 2nd or 3rd pick. I just don't see him doing it.

Yes LS1, I agree that to get him it would be at 23.

With the trade scenario... J. Jones would be a good partner. Is Steven making the calls now or not? I see them going defense first, as that unit is in need of some talent bad. A 2nd round RB will still thrive behind that line IMO.

Maybe the Lions are doing this to bait those teams into trading up. Who knows? A 2nd round RB would still be good for Dallas but probably not "as good". Coleman is a home-run hitter that only needs a nice lane to run into.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be fine with Coleman if he's still there in the 2nd for us, he'd be a great fit for sure. But I wouldn't touch him in the 1st round, nor do I expect him to go in the 1st. Gurley is the only back I'd consider at #23- there's just too many good players available at that pick still who play more valuable positions (like o-line, d-line, or CB) imo...

I here ya, but I wonder why people are so low on a position that can potentially carry the ball for 30 or more times in a game. If you want a strong running game, invest in it. If that means take the RB first, you do so.

The absolute only way I don't see all three RBs going in the first round is that there are plenty of OTs left towards the end of the 1st. There's no way those teams at the bottom of that round pass on those guys, imo.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe the Lions are doing this to bait those teams into trading up. Who knows? A 2nd round RB would still be good for Dallas but probably not "as good". Coleman is a home-run hitter that only needs a nice lane to run into.

That is the one knock on him for me. Homerun threat without the tough two yard threat. I realize you can use Bell or Riddick on 3rd and short or passing downs. Why I'm leaning more towards David Johnson. A true 3 down back IMO. With that said, RB is and never will be a position I can scout that good. So DJ is prolly a bust waiting to happen. LOL

I'm more a skill and technique watcher. So at RB if you can catch and pick up short yardage while being able to crank out a 20 yarder here and there, I'm happy happy happy.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So are you assuming Mayhew is thinking outside the box suddenly and is going to possibly trade back? Damn I hope you are correct.

Is Coleman a sure fire 1st rounder? I only say this after seeing the position devalue over time. Five years ago, sure I say yes. These days I see Gurley as the only sure 1st rounder(still risk involved on him). Been awhile since a RB class has been this deep. Might see a run on them in mid first round like you do at other positions quite frequently. GMs fearing they lose out.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I here ya, but I wonder why people are so low on a position that can potentially carry the ball for 30 or more times in a game. If you want a strong running game, invest in it. If that means take the RB first, you do so.

The absolute only way I don't see all three RBs going in the first round is that there are plenty of OTs left towards the end of the 1st. There's no way those teams at the bottom of that round pass on those guys, imo.
Injuries. RBs typically don't last very long in the NFL, so investing a 1st round pick in one is a huge gamble. Reference the 2012 draft- 3 RBs taken in the 1st round, one is already out of the league due to injuries, another is close to it, and the 3rd one just plain stinks at playing RB...

I'd be pretty well shocked if all Gurley, Gordon, and Coleman all go in the 1st round this year. No RB has gone in the 1st round the last two years...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's what you have to consider about Cole

Playing for Indiana probably hurts his status...just a little. If you put him on Georgia or some other team in the SEC or maybe even USC, this guy is probably a top 15 player, easily. At Indiana, he played against defenses that game planned to stop him and they just couldn't....with a broken toe.

This guy has the size and everything going on....and now the speed has been answered. He's good.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So are you assuming Mayhew is thinking outside the box suddenly and is going to possibly trade back? Damn I hope you are correct.

Is Coleman a sure fire 1st rounder? I only say this after seeing the position devalue over time. Five years ago, sure I say yes. These days I see Gurley as the only sure 1st rounder(still risk involved on him). Been awhile since a RB class has been this deep. Might see a run on them in mid first round like you do at other positions quite frequently. GMs fearing they lose out.

Stop looking directly at the position and consider the situation. A great running game is really valuable for the team right now. They've been without it for a long time. Of course you want the RB to be "worthy" of the selection but if he is, what's the problem?

You're hoping to get a guy that can carry the load and make defenses pay. Play action and things like that never work that well unless you have a threat back there. Bell is decent but Im sure defenses don't fear him that much.