• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Teenagers

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question for you, should I get my soon to be 15 year old son a old 80's Firebird of Mustang? Most new cheap cars have more power than even the sports cars of the 80's, the insurance cost isn't to much of a hit and he will be paying for his own insurance. I would not mind getting him an older car and together we rebuild over the next year before he turns 16. how stupid of an idea is this? I have also thought about getting him an early 2000's Dakota.

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what kind of driver he ends up being.
If he's one of those people that shit just happens to, then he'll need a beater. Even the best 16yr old drivers will probably encounter a ding or two, or an accident.

I wouldn't start any 16yr old out in anything that you want to keep.
Get some miles under his belt first.

I like the idea of working on a car together for a year before he gets his license, but depends on how much that will end up costing.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you really buying it for him or for you? If he's in to that vintage car, absolutely. Definitely good time to be spent together.

Personally, I've never had any love for 80s vintage cars. I don't think I would have appreciated it as much as you're hoping for, but that's just bc they're not my thing. What's he into?

Win TWINS!!!

Least Racist Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.74
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an insurance agent, I will say that you as a parent should get something that you are most comfortable in him driving. Safety is of utmost importance, and without knowing what state you live in, PIP or Medical coverage is a big part of the premium, sometimes eclipsing the premiums for comprehensive and collision for youthful drivers.

Newer, "cheaper" cars are lightyears better from a safety perspective. From impact and crumple zones, to handling, seatbelts and airbags.

I'm not going to tell you how to raise your kid, but from experience, I can say that parents requiring their child to pay for insurance often leads to poor decisions during a time that is meant for continued learning.

There's a reason that states are moving towards graduated licensing laws, and there's no requirement that says a parent needs to let their kid(s) get that license right away at 16. Sure, getting the license comes with freedoms for both kid and parents, but it also comes with additional responsibilities for both. Make sure he's ready. We only have our kids for so long. No need to risk shortening it.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an insurance agent, I will say that you as a parent should get something that you are most comfortable in him driving. Safety is of utmost importance, and without knowing what state you live in, PIP or Medical coverage is a big part of the premium, sometimes eclipsing the premiums for comprehensive and collision for youthful drivers.

Newer, "cheaper" cars are lightyears better from a safety perspective. From impact and crumple zones, to handling, seatbelts and airbags.

I'm not going to tell you how to raise your kid, but from experience, I can say that parents requiring their child to pay for insurance often leads to poor decisions during a time that is meant for continued learning.

There's a reason that states are moving towards graduated licensing laws, and there's no requirement that says a parent needs to let their kid(s) get that license right away at 16. Sure, getting the license comes with freedoms for both kid and parents, but it also comes with additional responsibilities for both. Make sure he's ready. We only have our kids for so long. No need to risk shortening it.

Good point on the safety, I did not think about that. I will have to take that into consideration.

And, just like most parents, I am willing to allow him to drive at 16 but on a very short leash. But, it would be easier for Football and Wrestling Practice and for his job that he just got.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depends on what kind of driver he ends up being.
If he's one of those people that shit just happens to, then he'll need a beater. Even the best 16yr old drivers will probably encounter a ding or two, or an accident.

I wouldn't start any 16yr old out in anything that you want to keep.
Get some miles under his belt first.

I like the idea of working on a car together for a year before he gets his license, but depends on how much that will end up costing.

And as a beater that is why I thought an 80's "muscle car" would be decent. Not really worth anything, not a collector car by any means. And I have found a cheap decent shape 87 T/A around the corner from my house that needs some TLC that he could get some pride in and hopefully take better care of something that is just given to him.

rjshull

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you really buying it for him or for you? If he's in to that vintage car, absolutely. Definitely good time to be spent together.

Personally, I've never had any love for 80s vintage cars. I don't think I would have appreciated it as much as you're hoping for, but that's just bc they're not my thing. What's he into?

This one would be for him, I have an 88 Firebird Formula 350 that he has been begging to drive when he turns 16. He found a 87 T/A around the corner from us that recently went up for sale. But in the end, just like any kid he wants a "sports/muscle car" he also likes the thought of getting a compact truck but he wants a crew cab when I told him a regular cab Dakota/Tacoma. Thankfully for me, money is not an issue in this case but I want him to get a sense of ownership out of it instead of just something that I gave him because he is old enough.

I never really liked the 80's cars until I got my Formula 350 about 6 years ago, my plan was to learn about body work on a cheap car before I go and get my dream car, a 1970 Olds 442 W-30 Convertible. My son has helped me occasionally on the small stuff, but a friend of mine has taught me everything I know about cars, he is ASE certified, and together we have turned the tame Formula 350 into a beast. Now I am at the point of getting my dream car, or putting it off for a year and help my son which seems like more fun, if nothing else it will be a great bonding experience which should be worth it, I hope. :hope:

My kids know how much I am worth thanks to their ungrateful mother, my ex-wife, and now the kids feel I should be getting them everything in the world. My Grandfather left me and my cousins a huge trust fund that I got when I turned 25, until then I had no clue as his life style never said big money. I want to instill how I was raised into my kids and getting a car was huge for me.

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My pops and I restored a 68' Mustang when I was 15. I had most of the engine work done by a third party, and while living with my grandparents I was able to keep many modifications from my parents. Long story short, it turned into a barely legal, super street car that had far too many ponies than any 16 year old should handle. Considering I drove that beast year round (in the snow) and most of my friends also had 60 's muscle cars, I feel lucky to be alive.... And I considered myself responsible.

Remember, even those 80 's models are large vehicles (minus the Mustangs) with rear wheel drive and a whole lotta motor. It doesn't take much gear altering and engine mods until they're running under 12 second quarters. When you have that much car, and it looks/sounds good, you definitely like to light them up once in awhile.

Nothing wrong with getting him something a little newer and more practical (mpg, size, safety, etc...) that won't necessarily turn heads....then after he's acquired some experience and appreciation, work on that restoration project/hot rod...

Just my $.02.

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter turned 16 last year. I got her a 2005 Toyota Matrix with 230,000 miles on it. Thing runs like a top and has zero issues. It gets 34 mpg too. It's not the car she wanted but I had no idea what kind of driver she would be. She is 17.5 now and accident free. But the car has received some serious damage from the school parking lot. Kids don't care. If this was a nice or vintage car I would of been pissed.

I'll get her something better when she graduates H.S. next year. Probably give her my 2014 Maxima that will be paid for by then so I won't have to worry about her in college. Btw, I will keep the Matrix to give to her younger sister in a few years when she turns 16.

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a question for you, should I get my soon to be 15 year old son a old 80's Firebird of Mustang? Most new cheap cars have more power than even the sports cars of the 80's, the insurance cost isn't to much of a hit and he will be paying for his own insurance. I would not mind getting him an older car and together we rebuild over the next year before he turns 16. how stupid of an idea is this? I have also thought about getting him an early 2000's Dakota.

Sure, if it's a 6 cylinder. Those sell for cheap and are reliable and reasonable. Those cars with big V8s are dangerous as hell. They burn-out by accident all the time and are terrible in accidents.

I drive like a nun in my 73 Mustang when taking the little girl to pre-school at 40mph over one long bridge. Any little accident could be the end of us.

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, if it's a 6 cylinder. Those sell for cheap and are reliable and reasonable. Those cars with big V8s are dangerous as hell. They burn-out by accident all the time and are terrible in accidents.

I drive like a nun in my 73 Mustang when taking the little girl to pre-school at 40mph over one long bridge. Any little accident could be the end of us.

Wait till that "lil' girl" of yours is sweet 16 and the hound dogs be barking after her Juice. I'm sure 65 MPH and flying away from the boys won't be an unheard of senerio for you and yours by then. :whistle:

JuiceTheGator

Purveyor of Justice
Hoopla Cash
$ 903.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait till that "lil' girl" of yours is sweet 16 and the hound dogs be barking after her Juice. I'm sure 65 MPH and flying away from the boys won't be an unheard of senerio for you and yours by then. :whistle:

That IS thee bad news. The good news is I still have 13 years to start working on her car.

zom.jpg

or

zombie_car_by_mikemars1.jpg

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top one is a "fine model" and should clear most male non suiters. Would work well clearing out the voting polls as well these days...until your youngin is of driving age I mean.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd go with the Mustang, but I would make sure it is the 80's I-4 model :)

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic...my boss just bought his 15 y/o son, soon to be 16 an old El Camino...they've been restoring but this is a badass type vehicle with a big V8, and upgraded exhaust...sounds badass too.

His kid is an honor student, but still a 15 y/o boy...I would be leery of my son driving a car like that, because it just begs to be shown off...hell I would be gunning it some, and I know I would.

But gender/car really doesn't matter much...my daughter had 3 speeding tickets before her 25th birthday driving a Honda Civic, so go figure...go luck with it.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My epileptic 34 year old son who cannot drive and lives with me spotted a black 1991 TBird Super Coupe one day for sale. We already had an 1995 SHO but picked up the SC for not too much.

It's A/C and leather power seats and windows all worked. So we figured what the hell...

I'm finding it fun to upgrade brakes, suspension and such. But I'm now at the point where we have spent a lot on it and still are.

Oh, and did I mention that right after we got it painted all black and shiny, it blew a head gasket.

So we figured, well hell, we just did all this stuff, lets fix it. So we got a donor engine and dropped that in as it was cheaper than a rebuild.

Exactly 1.5 years later, poof! Another head gasket. But we fixed it too as it wasn't going to be as exhaustive as the first time.

So to sum up, we love the car but it is a money pit. If we'd known we wouldn't have bought it.

But once you're in shit up to your tits, you just keep on swimming.