• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ted Ginn

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Another good day for Teddy. Please come back.

We had him. If we got him back, we would mis-use and underutilize him again. We don't know how to deal with receivers. Ginn did nothing for us a WR, makes big plays for Carolina. Damn, could we use his speed. :gaah:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
No Ted is a big reason the Niners aren't as good as they were last year IMO.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please don't come back. He was bad when he was with us.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Please don't come back. He was bad when he was with us.

Have you seen Lamichael James return kicks?

...Actually, there will be at least 3 really good return men in FA next offseason. The Niners need to get one of 'em IMO. Devin Hester, Ted & Trindon Holliday.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Have you seen Lamichael James return kicks?

...Actually, there will be at least 3 really good return men in FA next offseason. The Niners need to get one of 'em IMO. Devin Hester, Ted & Trindon Holliday.

Holliday will be an ERFA unfortunately.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we should have to pay a return man to come here. It's a position that is traditionally filled by a on the bubble speedster that is a project at wide receiver or running back. We cannot afford to keep everyone. Every milllion or so counts. So if LMJ isn't the answer in the return game then he serves no purpose here and he needs to be replaced through the draft.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think we should have to pay a return man to come here. It's a position that is traditionally filled by a on the bubble speedster that is a project at wide receiver or running back. We cannot afford to keep everyone. Every milllion or so counts. So if LMJ isn't the answer in the return game then he serves no purpose here and he needs to be replaced through the draft.

If one is going after a Hester or a Holliday I think you're probably going to have to pay to get him on board. More than what many would probably like for a return only player is what I mean by "pay." I don't mind doing that if we're talking a Holliday, maybe a Hester, and maybe a Ginn even though I don't think Ginn would ever return without a new support staff around and the assurance he's going to get meaningful snaps at receiver. I will repeat again, though, that I don't think Holliday is going to be anywhere but Denver next year because he's an ERFA.

-------

Something I've been thinking about in my own head lately is signing Jerome Simpson as a receiver first and foremost and taking a leap of faith that he could possibly take over return responsibilities. I'd really like to see him get a fair shot at that for the first time in his career.

I'm not guaranteeing he'd definitely take to it and obviously I don't know if he'd be willing to try it, but his skill set interests me as a possible returner in addition to having him as a 3rd receiver next year. I've wanted Simpson since college and if they could get him as a receiver AND if he could fill that role, then awesome. He's not usually the type of player I root for signings because the man has proven to be a complete idiot in some of his off-the-field decisions and some of the things he says, but if the coaching staff felt comfortable with him after a meet-and-greet, I'd love to see him as a 49er.

Dexter McCluster is another guy coming available that should've been a 49er from the get go that I wouldn't mind being incorporated into the offense and also given a shot at the return role.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ginn never did anything here as a receiver. He is having a better season because he is used as a WR. Kyle Williams was never used correctly (to maximize his abilities) as can be said of most WR that we have had the last couple of seasons. Does anybody honestly think Ginn would be putting up remotely close numbers if he were still on the Niners? Kick return duties aside...

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ginn never did anything here as a receiver. He is having a better season because he is used as a WR. Kyle Williams was never used correctly (to maximize his abilities) as can be said of most WR that we have had the last couple of seasons. Does anybody honestly think Ginn would be putting up remotely close numbers if he were still on the Niners? Kick return duties aside...

But why wouldn't he? He is showing he can do it. Niners have a big problem with how they handle, develop, and utilize receivers.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I really hope we get a new WR coach this offseason. I'd like a new OC as well. I respect what Roman does in the power run game, but his offense isn't versatile enough for the NFL IMO.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Receiver for specific plays, kick returner, whatever. I want Ted back. I'd offer a million to get him for another season. It was a huge mistake to let him go.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Receiver for specific plays, kick returner, whatever. I want Ted back. I'd offer a million to get him for another season. It was a huge mistake to let him go.

He got $1.1M ($750K base, $50k workout bonus) and a $300k signing bonus for this season. I would expect he'll get more than that per year after this year. I'd be fine with a pay raise but it'll never happen with this current structure. LaFell is also a UFA for them and they have quite a few other guys on both sides of the ball to sign, too. I think I read somewhere that they'll have about $12M of space going into the offseason but I'd need to check that to be sure.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we don't bring him back.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ginn is a mediocre WR, but I think it's telling that in his three seasons with the Niners he combined for 384 yards and one TD. That is worse than any other individual season he's had in his career (420 yards and 2 TDs/454 yards and 1 TD his worst otherwise). He is a textbook example of this team's inability to get production out of a WR who was certainly talented enough to play in the league.

Not to mention that Ricardo Lockette in Seattle has basically produced the same as or more than any WR on our roster not named Boldin or Crabtree. The issues with developing and utilizing WRs are perhaps the most significant we have IMO.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whats crazy before Crabtrees TD, Boldin was the only WR with a TD on the team.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ginn is a mediocre WR, but I think it's telling that in his three seasons with the Niners he combined for 384 yards and one TD. That is worse than any other individual season he's had in his career (420 yards and 2 TDs/454 yards and 1 TD his worst otherwise). He is a textbook example of this team's inability to get production out of a WR who was certainly talented enough to play in the league.

Not to mention that Ricardo Lockette in Seattle has basically produced the same as or more than any WR on our roster not named Boldin or Crabtree. The issues with developing and utilizing WRs are perhaps the most significant we have IMO.

Agreed. I think the problem might be utilization more than anything. Alex when he was here and now Kap aren't exactly the most willing to distribute the ball to WRs.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I think the problem might be utilization more than anything. Alex when he was here and now Kap aren't exactly the most willing to distribute the ball to WRs.

FACT is 49ers don't know how to get the 3rd WR involved. They only know how to get 2 Wrs and TEs. Thats why we haven't had a #3 WR have a ok season in a long time.