• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ted Ginn resigned

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Those things should improve with time, though. I'm assuming Ginn was taking most practice reps for the returns anyways. If KW takes them he should be much better from a decision standpoint.

I'd be willing to give him another shot returning, but I'm not sure if the fanbase would stand for it.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde and Tall, given the small sample size, he made some BIG mistakes! Now granted, I'm sure that Ginn took most of the reps in practice and Williams could improve in time. But given how close we actually were to going to the Super Bowl, I don't know if management wanted to bank on the hypothetical of whether or not Williams actually improves. I would venture to say that based on what transpired last season, Ginn won't be recieving the lion's share of reps in punt return work in practice.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd be willing to give him another shot returning, but I'm not sure if the fanbase would stand for it.

If Harbaugh was sensitive to public opinion, he wouldn't have brought back Alex Smith last year. If KW is able to shake it off and do the job, he could be it if there's no spot for Ginn.

It is highly questionable if he can ever overcome that nightmare, but a terrible experience like that can change a player. He was literally given years of experience in a few cruel seconds.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Harbaugh was sensitive to public opinion, he wouldn't have brought back Alex Smith last year. If KW is able to shake it off and do the job, he could be it if there's no spot for Ginn.

It is highly questionable if he can ever overcome that nightmare, but a terrible experience like that can change a player. He was literally given years of experience in a few cruel seconds.

Well said. Rep.

bigpb72

OG Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this is a non factor PR Depth this year is Ginn Cox Cartwright then Williams new year ... williams needs to continue to try to become a good slot

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clyde and Tall, given the small sample size, he made some BIG mistakes! Now granted, I'm sure that Ginn took most of the reps in practice and Williams could improve in time. But given how close we actually were to going to the Super Bowl, I don't know if management wanted to bank on the hypothetical of whether or not Williams actually improves. I would venture to say that based on what transpired last season, Ginn won't be recieving the lion's share of reps in punt return work in practice.

He did make some mistakes. But vs the Saints, taking the punt off the bounce like crimson said... I don't see that as a mistake. If it's easy to field, then why not?? Guys do that all the time. And the diving forward to catch the punt vs NY.... maybe he had a good read on it and the last second had to lunge to get it. I have returned punts and sometimes it happens. If his decision is to catch it because he doesn't want it to bounce right at him, then fine by me. That's not the point really the point I'm trying to make.

Yes a punt return can become a huge play in a game, as we saw both sides in the first game of the year and last game of the year. But it's still a punt return. Our defense is good enough that we can put a guy back there to fair catch it every time and we should still have good position. We are talking 10 yards here. If our offense can at least be competent it can make up those yards.

But it's not like we are talking QB's here. I don't get why so many people are banking on Alex Smith improving when the guy has been in the league for 7 years, but won't give the same leeway to a WR who has barely played but has shown glimpses. With Alex its, "Oh, he is gonna use the Niners going after Manning as motivation...bla bla bla." But you don't think Williams will use that last game as motivation?!? You think he wants to be remembered as "that guy??" He probably wants to make it up to the team, the city, and fans all over for his part (a huge part) of that loss.

Wells said Ease.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He did make some mistakes. But vs the Saints, taking the punt off the bounce like crimson said... I don't see that as a mistake. If it's easy to field, then why not?? Guys do that all the time. And the diving forward to catch the punt vs NY.... maybe he had a good read on it and the last second had to lunge to get it. I have returned punts and sometimes it happens. If his decision is to catch it because he doesn't want it to bounce right at him, then fine by me. That's not the point really the point I'm trying to make.

Yes a punt return can become a huge play in a game, as we saw both sides in the first game of the year and last game of the year. But it's still a punt return. Our defense is good enough that we can put a guy back there to fair catch it every time and we should still have good position. We are talking 10 yards here. If our offense can at least be competent it can make up those yards.

But it's not like we are talking QB's here. I don't get why so many people are banking on Alex Smith improving when the guy has been in the league for 7 years, but won't give the same leeway to a WR who has barely played but has shown glimpses. With Alex its, "Oh, he is gonna use the Niners going after Manning as motivation...bla bla bla." But you don't think Williams will use that last game as motivation?!? You think he wants to be remembered as "that guy??" He probably wants to make it up to the team, the city, and fans all over for his part (a huge part) of that loss.

+1