• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Team(s) in LA?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, public money can be better spent than on football stadiums.

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all teams cant have robert kraft as owner. 70% owner funded is a lot better than the deal the state paid for the marlins albatross.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...Would the NFL reorganize the divisions?

If so, my thoughts;

LA Dolphins
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers

Chiefs
Texans
Jags
Titans

Colts
Bengals
Browns
Steelers

Ravens
Patriots
Jets
Bills

Thoughts?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The future is bleak for Miami pro sports. LA would support this team.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all teams cant have robert kraft as owner. 70% owner funded is a lot better than the deal the state paid for the marlins albatross.

If you want to own an NFL team providing yourself with a stadium should be your responsibility. States can't afford, and shouldn't have to, to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a stadium.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If so, my thoughts;

LA Dolphins
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers

Chiefs
Texans
Jags
Titans

Colts
Bengals
Browns
Steelers

Ravens
Patriots
Jets
Bills

Thoughts?

If they do go to LA, then I think it would be this

NFC W
Los Angeles
San Fransisco
Seattle
Arizona

AFC E
Baltimore
New York
New England
Buffalo

AFC N
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cincinnati

AFC S
St. Louis
Tennessee
Houston
Jacksonville

Flauge

Still a Heat fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope you all die of herpes for saying the Dolphins are moving.. I hate you all.. equally.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they do go to LA, then I think it would be this

NFC W
Los Angeles
San Fransisco
Seattle
Arizona

AFC E
Baltimore
New York
New England
Buffalo

AFC N
Indianapolis
Pittsburgh
Cleveland
Cincinnati

AFC S
St. Louis
Tennessee
Houston
Jacksonville

So...moving some AFC to NFC and vice- versa?

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So...moving some AFC to NFC and vice- versa?

St. Louis has already asked to switch with San Diego. St. Louis would want to be in the AFC, this way they get an even better travel schedule for their fans, games in Tennessee and Houston can be attended. And I think it would make most sense to have LA with SF and Seattle for the NFL.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you want to own an NFL team providing yourself with a stadium should be your responsibility. States can't afford, and shouldn't have to, to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a stadium.

That's not exactly true, especially in a city like Miami. Sure the owner of the NFL team gets to make more money but how much more money does the city actually make from being able to host more Super Bowls, college championships, bigger concerts. In certain southern cities it makes sense to have a big burden on the tax payers when they can reap the rewards. Foxboro is basically a one trick pony, can't have super bowls, NCAA tournament games, no NCAA football playoffs/bowls, no real legitimate entity that can draw millions of non residents to that venue per year.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LA would support this team? That's hilarious!! There's a reason why 2 teams left LA and LA hasn't had football in, what, 20 years? Winning cures everything and if the Phish were winning we wouldn't even be having this discussion. If they take a winning team to LA, hell yeah they'll be supported. If they continue to lose, the novelty of having the NFL back in LA will wear off quickly and their fan base will be as fickle and unsupportive as the one they have now. The money in the LA market needs to be tapped but truthfully the fan doesn't deserve a team. Yes, I meant to write FAN singular!!

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's not exactly true, especially in a city like Miami. Sure the owner of the NFL team gets to make more money but how much more money does the city actually make from being able to host more Super Bowls, college championships, bigger concerts. In certain southern cities it makes sense to have a big burden on the tax payers when they can reap the rewards. Foxboro is basically a one trick pony, can't have super bowls, NCAA tournament games, no NCAA football playoffs/bowls, no real legitimate entity that can draw millions of non residents to that venue per year.

I never brought up Gillette, but again, that's not relevant. If the stadium can make enough hosting all that, it can be privately funded and make its money back.

BritishDolfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If so, my thoughts;

LA Dolphins
Broncos
Raiders
Chargers

Chiefs
Texans
Jags
Titans

Colts
Bengals
Browns
Steelers

Ravens
Patriots
Jets
Bills

Thoughts?

That makes the most sense. I wouldn't support this happening though, unless (see below)

More like the Toronto Dolphins...

London Dolphins!

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
London or toronto wont get a team until the figure out what to do with LA be it the codfish or another team. Then expand toronto and london getting teams in the same year.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree for one reason only & that is the Dolphins have the talent to win, now & in the future.

I'm not sure an expansion team would fly in L.A.. The novelty would wear off after a year or so. There are plenty of transplants which would help, but in LA the team has to win or people will spend their entertainment dollar elsewhere.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LA would support this team? That's hilarious!! There's a reason why 2 teams left LA and LA hasn't had football in, what, 20 years? Winning cures everything and if the Phish were winning we wouldn't even be having this discussion. If they take a winning team to LA, hell yeah they'll be supported. If they continue to lose, the novelty of having the NFL back in LA will wear off quickly and their fan base will be as fickle and unsupportive as the one they have now. The money in the LA market needs to be tapped but truthfully the fan doesn't deserve a team. Yes, I meant to write FAN singular!!

Well, the reason the Raiders and Rams both left LA was because of the stadium. Sure it seats 93,000. But the majority of that is regular, cheap, low profit seats. There is a pretty good reason why the newer stadiums have so many club seats and luxury boxes... those things bring in a ton of money. Just for a point of reference, according to the 49ers, Candlestick had zero clubseats and their new stadium will have 9000. Both teams left for promises of better stadiums, with more club seats and luxury boxes. Oakland polished up their turd with more modern seating and St Louis built that pretty little dome.

060308-206..jpg

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players salaries and the majority of team costs are covered by the network deals and merchandicing. Stadium revenue is pure profit once the structure is paid for. Gillette Stadium cost $325mil and has about 62,000 cheap seats. Based on a $241 cheap seat average (quick Google) thats almost $15mil per regular season weekend. Not including hot dogs and beer, the place was paid for in less than 3 years. The luxury boxes are money, plain and simple.

Concessions, parking, concert revenue, etc...Wow...A cash cow for any city or owner that can afford to foot the bill.

Arch City

Exce11ence in Baseball
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't disagree with you at all, especially not when you take the Dolphins' stadium concerns and the Marlins situation into consideration.

But why is this the case? I always thought of the Dolphins as one of the great NFL franchises, although I suppose that view is a bit dated at best since I'm thinking back to the franchise's icons like Don Shula and Dan Marino. How's the fan base these days? Is it the weather- because that was the excuse used for why LA was sometimes viewed as a market that was indifferent toward professional sports (although I know of many Southern Californians that prove that assertion wrong). There's no dearth of wealth in the region- but how much of it is there year-round, and how many of those people are there that give a shit about professional sports?

I have no idea, and I realize it's been some time since the Dolphins enjoyed consistent on-field success, but I have to admit as someone that doesn't follow the team closely that I'm a bit floored by all of this. Of course, it's one of the oldest stadiums in the league now, so I guess I shouldn't have been too surprised. We're still dealing with that same drama here in St. Louis right now as our shitty dome approaches its 20th anniversary and Kroenke looks for greener grass...er...turf elsewhere. I have opinions on that as well, but I'll discuss that in the appropriate spot another time.

HD, where's Preisman? I know he's an ex-South Floridian, so I'd love to get his perspective.