• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tate to the Lions

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I'll miss that dude. I think Pete's philosophy on getting bigger at the receiver position is gonna come into play... Russ is gonna get some bigger targets soon... Tate brought a toughness I loved. Thanks brotha and good luck the rest of your career.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I posted that link there are also some rumors that Tate hasn't accepted any offer yet. Don't know but I do believe he will be back with the Hawks

"Lions agreed to terms with WR Golden Tate, formerly of the Seahawks, on a five-year contract.
The Lions' quixotic quest to find a viable starter opposite Calvin Johnson ends. Tate was Rotoworld's No. 4 remaining receiver. Coming off a career year where he caught 64 passes for 898 yards and five scores, Tate's numbers have been suppressed by the Seahawks' run-heavy offense, but that won't be an issue in Detroit. A dynamo with the ball in his hands, Tate is most effective after the catch. Even with passing-mad OC Scott Linehan gone from the Motor City, the Lions will be throwing all day, every day in 2014. Tate will be a viable threat for his first 1,000-yard season
."

Last edited by a moderator:

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So let me see if I get this straight:
The guy who said he'd give a home town discount to stay here left for more money,
and the guy who said this isn't walmart or costco and was going to go after the biggest payday did stay here for less money than offered elsewhere.

:lol:

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[ame="[MEDIA=twitter]443838313359605760[/MEDIA]"][/ame]

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy who said he'd give a home town discount to stay here left for more money,
and the guy who said this isn't walmart or costco and was going to go after the biggest payday did stay here for less money than offered elsewhere.

Good point…

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate just confirmed it on his twitter account too

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Tate said he would sign with the Seahawks for a little less, but I think what the Lions offered vs the Seahawks was more then a little less. That was a good deal for Tate and good for him. Now the Seahawks are going find a guy in the draft IMO, not signing a FA. I'm betting someone with size to play opposite Harvin who is a burner.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Strange how that worked out. I'll say this though... I really don't think this was strictly a money play by Tate, even though he's certainly going to be getting plenty of that too. I think he saw it as an opportunity to play in a pass-happy system where, with so much attention being focused on Megatron, he could rack up tons of stats. It's easy to say, "Well, so much for the hometown discount talk" when looking at this deal, but I think there was legitimately more to it than that. He knew that the offense here was never going to be pass-happy or even pass-first as long as Carroll is the coach, so he went someplace where he thought he could contribute more to the offense.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Strange how that worked out. I'll say this though... I really don't think this was strictly a money play by Tate, even though he's certainly going to be getting plenty of that too. I think he saw it as an opportunity to play in a pass-happy system where, with so much attention being focused on Megatron, he could rack up tons of stats. It's easy to say, "Well, so much for the hometown discount talk" when looking at this deal, but I think there was legitimately more to it than that. He knew that the offense here was never going to be pass-happy or even pass-first as long as Carroll is the coach, so he went someplace where he thought he could contribute more to the offense.

yep, no doubt. He should double the attempts he sees in Detroit. good luck to him.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just showing the irony there. I don't blame him for going. I said when he first opened his mouth it was dumb to make that statement and this is exactly why.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was fun watching tate troll during games and with his new team he can now face his other favorite team the packers twice a year i know the rams are sure glad hes gone

but in my opinion he really was an avg reciever and isnt worth over paying for in our big games against the 49ers he always get lockdown and if you look at all the playoff games including the super bowl he must have like combined 80 yards receiving. You would think with all the playing time he got with percy harvin being hurt all season he would put up more than 898 yards and 5 touchdowns

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a very good fit in Detroit. Stafford throws with a lot of velocity but not with a very tight spiral. This makes for a ball that is not very catchable. He also throws high. Tate has very good hands and catchs the ball well at the high point.

I think we overpaid a tad though. I was hopeing for 5.5 mil a year. 6.2 a year is not outrageous though. Guaranteed 13 mil which is about a mil too high IMO.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected this. I am just glad they prioritized Bennett over Tate.
I liked Tate but he can be replaced at a lower price tag and everyone knows that we need to look ahead to future signings.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expected this. I am just glad they prioritized Bennett over Tate.
I liked Tate but he can be replaced at a lower price tag and everyone knows that we need to look ahead to future
signings.

Exactly how I feel. I feel it's easier to find someone to replace Tate , then it would have to replace a player like Bennett who can bring pressure from DE and DT, and also play the run, very hard to find a player that can do that.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly how I feel. I feel it's easier to find someone to replace Tate , then it would have to replace a player like Bennett who can bring pressure from DE and DT, and also play the run, very hard to find a player that can do that.

Plus you throw in this draft is crazy deep at the receiver position but lacking somewhat in quality pass rushers and it makes it that much easier to let a guy like Tate go.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a receiver standpoint, losing Tate doesn't hurt too much, but now we have to look for another punt returner and Tate was getting really good at it.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really wanted to see Tate stay, oh well. Wish him the best in Det.