• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tate to the Lions

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From a receiver standpoint, losing Tate doesn't hurt too much, but now we have to look for another punt returner and Tate was getting really good at it.

i know a good returner that returned a kick all the way to the house during the superbowl coming back from half time

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extremely grateful the Seahawks didn't overpay just to keep the pieces together. As I've said before, Tate was a solid player for us, but at $5-$6m per season he can be replaced.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i know a good returner that returned a kick all the way to the house during the superbowl coming back from half time

With Percy's injury issues and with how big a part they want him to play in the offense I don't think he'll be doing punt returns. Then again Pete does like to put his top guys out there on special teams so you never know. Either way Percy will at least be out there for KO's.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't too big of a deal considering Harvin will likely be playing a whole lot more next year. And we all know Baldwin won't have any issues stepping up. This probably means we'll see a WR targeted in the early rounds of the draft. Other than that I'm hoping they beef up the O-Line a bit, and I'd be thrilled if they can sign Hatcher/Allen and possible Finley for the right price.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extremely grateful the Seahawks didn't overpay just to keep the pieces together. As I've said before, Tate was a solid player for us, but at $5-$6m per season he can be replaced.

From what I heard today, the Hawks offer would of been in the $4-$5m range. While he's a great fit in Detroit as they desperately needed someone to lineup opposite Megatron and take some pressure off him, they had to pay a lot for it.

He took a while to develop which frustrated alot of Seahawk fans, but his production the past two years was solid. Very reliable WR who just went out there and did whatever the coaches ordered. A workhorse of a WR.

I think it just comes down to priorities:

1) Harvin will be there for all games next year. :hope:

2) Seahawks put a lot of priority on the run game.

3) Kearse can move into that #2 role.

4) Very deep draft for WR talent this draft.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Makes me think Jordan Matthews will be drafted and play #1/#2 while Kearse takes the opposite based on competition. Harvin will be either #1/#2/#3 backfield, etc. pending the play, and Baldwin becomes the slot.

Then draft a WR late, maybe sign someone cheap free agency, etc.

Personally I say give Steve Smith a 1 year $4M deal. Yah he's injured but he'd be a great veteran leader on this team and he plays with the physical presence Seattle demands.

tzorn10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tate was solid for us the last few seasons and I wish him well. He will be missed for his punt returns for sure. He should do well in Detroit.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Harvin has never returned punts in the NFL, I'd be surprised if he was the punt returner.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with Tate gone. He was probably one of the best YAC receivers I've seen (averaged about the same as Calvin yet had 20 less receptions) for a listed WR (some of the RB just shatter it, like McCoy).

I'll miss Tate's blocking, returns, and YAC on designed plays. That said, Tate does little to get separation and can't help feel he quits on plays. He can light up some games but others he just literally disappears. You are wondering if he's even on the field.

He is nowhere near a viable #1. We tried that and it didn't work out. Eventually we just started using Kearse and Baldwin for clutch situations or deep passes. Is he a viable #2? Meh. Maybe? He's not someone that I would be overly concerned playing against.

Tate was worth 4 years $20M with maybe $8-9M guaranteed. He's a good backup #2 and can mix around the offense and provide some explosion on screen plays, playaction, and setup blocks downfield. He's not going to light up any defense on most occasions.

Lions way overpaid. 31M+? And they think Tate/Johnson is going to work for them for receivers? Please. Tate's not that great of a #2, he's not a #1 (flat out) and he really isn't a great slot. He's kind of a jack of all trades and can be used here and there to generate some offense.

I don't get the signing for Detroit at all. It's a C to C- grade at best. I'm actually very thankful Seattle didn't resign him. Like I said, there were so many games he just disappeared. He COMPLETELY fell off the radar in the playoffs/SBOWL. Dropping passes, zero separation, etc.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin most likely will get the punt return duty. On a side note the release of Clemons frees up another 7.5 M so in my eyes it's time to give Baldwin a new contract. You lost Tate and open up some money with Clemons. Slapping the 2nd round tender was a slap to Baldwins face and he did not seem happy about it. Doug deserves a nice 5 year deal so i plead with the Hawks to get it done.

this should give Seattle a Comp pick in the 3rd round, so they pick up that 3rd rounder that they did not have.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin most likely will get the punt return duty. On a side note the release of Clemons frees up another 7.5 M so in my eyes it's time to give Baldwin a new contract. You lost Tate and open up some money with Clemons. Slapping the 2nd round tender was a slap to Baldwins face and he did not seem happy about it. Doug deserves a nice 5 year deal so i plead with the Hawks to get it done.

this should give Seattle a Comp pick in the 3rd round, so they pick up that 3rd rounder that they did not have.

Believe the compensatory would be in 2015 though, not this year. Course we could trade up, but yah, that would require a 2nd which bleh.

Wolvie

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll definitely miss Tate's talents, but don't mind seeing that extremely cocky attitude to leave. In fact, today he was quoted as saying that Megatron's skills will compliment him well. Not an eyepopping quote but just goes to show him mindset. It's a Tate-first attitude that was eventually going to turn out bad

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I dont think the Hawks would get the comp pick until 2015.

Regardless I agree that it was likely a scenario where Tate and Baldwin both werent going to be here long term. Slapping a tender was necessary while the Tate situation was unsettled. Just like how they hung onto Clem until the Bennett situation was settled. Without slapping the tender, they could have both Doug and Tate could have been gone.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I heard today, the Hawks offer would of been in the $4-$5m range. While he's a great fit in Detroit as they desperately needed someone to lineup opposite Megatron and take some pressure off him, they had to pay a lot for it.

He took a while to develop which frustrated alot of Seahawk fans, but his production the past two years was solid. Very reliable WR who just went out there and did whatever the coaches ordered. A workhorse of a WR.

I think it just comes down to priorities:

1) Harvin will be there for all games next year. :hope:

2) Seahawks put a lot of priority on the run game.

3) Kearse can move into that #2 role.

4) Very deep draft for WR talent this draft.

I would've cringed pretty hard if the Seahawks gave him $5m a year. $4m is the upper end of what I'd give him, even then I felt like his production could be replaced at a cheaper price.

I think he is a solid fit in Detriot simply because signing him allows the Lions to draft someone else in the first round on defense, but I think they will soon realize they overpaid him by a few million per year. I know a lot of people think his production would go up in Detriot, but I think it will not change much since the Seahawks went out of their way to design plays for Tate, which is less likely to be seen in Detriot since the Lions already have Calvin Johnson.

The drop off from Baldwin to Tate is not very large and I'm looking forward to seeing what Baldwin will be able to do for us in 2014.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll definitely miss Tate's talents, but don't mind seeing that extremely cocky attitude to leave. In fact, today he was quoted as saying that Megatron's skills will compliment him well. Not an eyepopping quote but just goes to show him mindset. It's a Tate-first attitude that was eventually going to turn out bad

At least he stopped the on field showboating after that ridiculous display against the Rams in St. Louis.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird seeing him go, but both at the cost and possibility of losing Baldwin had he stayed makes it easier to see him move. Of the two I would rather be, and now happier, hanging on to Baldwin. Give the man his due and let's move on. We lose Tate, but with any luck replace him with a healthy Harvin. That's an upgrade from this past year. As I said before, lock up Doug and that's two of our corp secured. I have a feeling that Kearse is really about to emerge and lockette is solid right where he is. The obvious answer to all of this is the draft, and I agree. Though I do have a FA WR that I would like to see us sign that I don't think will come at a huge cost, Devin Hester. He would be a filler at WR, but his impact would come at replacing Tate as KR. Imagine Harvin on kickoffs and Hester on punt returns, :yahoo:

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know decker signed with the jets earlier for almost the same ball park contract that tate got with the lions. If I were the lions i would have signed decker to a deal than tate

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least he stopped the on field showboating after that ridiculous display against the Rams in St. Louis.

Let's not forget that the Ram's secondary's were talking smack to him just the way our guys do to the other teams we face. Tate took it like a man but in one great play, he decided to answer back. Not saying what he did was good, but I can understand the circumstance will always forgive his display.

DonyellFreak

Custom User Title
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Golden trolled the Packers so hard I'll always love the guy other than days he lines up against us, I don't blame any athlete let alone NFL player for getting paid while they can good luck to Tate.

7rXb65D.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Considering that Baldwin was an undrafted free agent and still has to prove he can put up two good years in a row, the fact that he was given a second round tender a few years later isn't bad. I believe that they'll work out a long-term deal with him if they're convinced that what he showed in 2011 and 2013 is what he's going to be going forward and that his 2012 season was an aberration.