• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Targeting: A Closer Look

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
College Football Targeting Rule Still Confuses, Angers Fans

We’ll start with the definition.

The definition of targeting can be found in Rules 9-1-3 and 9-1-4 in the NCAA manual “Rules And Interpretations” for football.

Those articles are listed below:

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet

ARTICLE 3. No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul. (Rule 9-6) (A.R. 9-1-3-I)

Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player

ARTICLE 4. No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent (See Note 2 below) with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting (See Note 1 below). When in question, it is a foul (Rules 2-27-14 and 9-6). (A.R. 9-1-4-I-VI)

Note 1: “Targeting” means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:

Launch—a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area

A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground

Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area

Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet

Confusion takes place because of two misconceptions by fans.

First, that helmet-to-helmet contact is required. 9-1-4 makes it clear that the contact can come from the forearm, shoulder, elbow, or fist. Note also that the rule includes “or neck area”, which leaves it open to broad interpretation.

Second, intent. The call has nothing to do with intent. It isn’t about taking a cheap shot or trying to purposefully injure a player. The name “targeting” seems to imply that, but if you’re asking officials on the field to determine whether or not a player was purposefully trying to injure another player you’re asking for the impossible.

In order to fully understand Rule 9-1-4, you must understand the definition of a “defenseless player”, as listed below:

Defenseless Player

ARTICLE 14. A defenseless player is one who because his physical position and focus of concentration is especially vulnerable to injury. When in question, a player is defenseless. Examples of defenseless players include but are not limited to:

a. A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.

b. A receiver attempting to catch a forward pass or in position to receive a backward pass, or one who has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.

c. A kicker in the act of or just after kicking a ball, or during the kick or the return.

d. A kick returner attempting to catch or recover a kick, or one who has completed a catch or recovery and has not had time to protect himself or has not clearly become a ball carrier.

e. A player on the ground.

f. A player obviously out of the play.

g. A player who receives a blind-side block. (I call this the Kenny Bell Rule.)

h. A ball carrier already in the grasp of an opponent and whose forward progress has been stopped.

i. A quarterback any time after a change of possession.

j. A ball carrier who has obviously given himself up and is sliding feet-first.

If a player gets called for targeting, review these 10 definitions and ask yourself if they fit the situation. If they do, and the hit was in the head or neck area, regardless of whether or not it was helmet to helmet, it’s targeting.

Purpose
The purpose of the targeting rule is for “player safety”. A narrative has been established around football and head injuries, and that narrative goes like this:

If you play football, you will suffer concussions. If you suffer enough concussions, you will get CTE. If you get CTE, you will suffer from confusion, mood swings, loss of memory, depression and potentially commit suicide later in life.

It’s a simplification of reality around head injuries in football, and one that I’ll cover in more depth as the season goes on. Sports journalism doesn’t do really well when it comes to science and/or health issues. Regular media doesn’t do that well, either, really, so most of the time science and health issues become human interest stories, i.e., Junior Seau, Frank Gifford, Ken Stabler, Tyler Sash, BMX Rider Dave Mirra, and so on.

Note that I’m not saying the CTE narrative is completely wrong. I am saying it’s been simplified as if it is a sure thing. We still don’t know why some people get CTE and some don’t. Medically speaking, we’re in the infancy stage in really understanding what’s going on in our brains.

Perception is reality, however, and the NCAA at least has to appear that they’re doing something to combat the problem. Parents might wonder if it’s safe for their children to play football, and those who play football might think more seriously about lawsuits were they or their children become severely injured.

A cynical view, perhaps, but one has to wonder if the rule purpose of the targeting rule is for the NCAA and its member institutions to avoid more lawsuits.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it was.

What I don't get about it is that (unless the rule changed in the off season) all targeting calls are reviewed. So when there is any doubt, you call it. If the call is incorrect, you waive it off on review. That was a horrendous miss by the officials. And in the end, the hit resulted in exactly the kind of injury the rule is intended to mitigate.

And, for me, worse than the failure to call the penalty, is the failure to call out a player who clearly was willing to injure another player. That is total BS.

Yep.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now next time you call bullshit on a guy on your team getting called for targeting, you know exactly what the refs are looking at/for. I called bullshit on an ejection of one of our safeties, but by their definition it was definitely targeting.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst part of all in my mind is this - - - the booth can now call a penalty even if it is not called on the field. What were those clowns in the booth doing?

I would argue slightly with the article's interpretation regarding "intent" - - - otherwise, what is the purpose of the phrase "aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." ? That certainly implies that intent is part of the decision making process for the referees (imho).

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The worst part of all in my mind is this - - - the booth can now call a penalty even if it is not called on the field. What were those clowns in the booth doing?

I would argue slightly with the article's interpretation regarding "intent" - - - otherwise, what is the purpose of the phrase "aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." ? That certainly implies that intent is part of the decision making process for the referees (imho).

And that's the human aspect. The ref can go "oh he definitely meant to do that", but think about this:

A defensive player can do exactly what he's supposed to do and go for the torso, but at the last second the offensive player can duck his head and it ends up helmet to helmet. Whose fault is THAT? There's nothing the defender could have done, but by definition, it's still targeting.

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we had all these rules enforced when I played high school ball,, I'm not sure we would have been able to field a team every week

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see that all the time on bubble screens and punt returns. A defender will be closing fast as the offensive player catches the ball and as he catches it, he instinctively cradles the ball into his body thus dropping his head.

Perfect example:

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So now next time you call bullshit on a guy on your team getting called for targeting ...
I generally don't call BS, under the assumption that it is a player's responsibility to remain in control. I think there was one called against ND recently where a player was blocked into the runner, hitting him as the defender fell. (It was against Michigan State if I recall correctly.)

Comparing that to what happened to Torii Hunter, I am astounded that no call was made last night.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And that's the human aspect. The ref can go "oh he definitely meant to do that", but think about this:

A defensive player can do exactly what he's supposed to do and go for the torso, but at the last second the offensive player can duck his head and it ends up helmet to helmet. Whose fault is THAT? There's nothing the defender could have done, but by definition, it's still targeting.
That does not address the quote at all.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

craigk217

Meh
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,618.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not one to hardly ever bitch with refs dictating games over shitty calls, but with the utter BS frequency 'targeting' is called ... this one, clearly, was textbook.

Still cannot believe nobody up in the booth never 'considered' reviewing it the whole time Hunter Jr was on the ground AND that the stadium didn't put any replay on their jumbotron - least that's what I read in some article.

it'sHuskers4me

New Era Huskers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When a guy leads with the shoulder and doesn't wrap up, that seems like a targeting call.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it's head up and turned like they're taught, there's still often going to be incidental helmet to helmet contact. Especially in close quarters situations. I just don't think that should ever be called. They DO wear helmets for a reason. A little helmet contact here and there is what you signed up for.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the hunter play though... That defender running in needs to know that he lost on that play and lay off... Veer and try and grab an arm. Don't drop your head and launch. Coming in using your helmet like a heat seeking missile on a defenseless player should be eradicated from college football.

Skerpokes

Calmer Than You Are
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Targeting:

Not targeting:

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ezgif-4092084582.0.gif

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get what the guy is saying, but what an obnoxious douche.

I have a strict "no youtube video of someone recording a television" policy.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess they were targeting a muffin basket

giphy.gif

I thought it was targeting imo