• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tannehill looks amaaaaaazing

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious but what is making you say it's a QB starved NFL? Last season there were 19 passers with a rating over 91, including 6 over 100. That's more than at any other time....even in the Marino/Montana/Elway era there were usually only 1 or 2 QBs with a rating of 100+ in a season. Of the 15 highest passer ratings ever posted, 10 of them were by players who were in the league last year. Not saying that stat means everything, but it's a fair indicator I think. There are probably 7 or 8 future HOF QBs in the league right now.
It's also a little easier to play QB right now with the rule changes...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always liked Tannehill but the time has come for him to develop into a top tier QB.
Agreed and he'll have his best chance this season to do so.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's also a little easier to play QB right now with the rule changes...
I agree, no question that rules changes have favored offense over the years. But does that really explain it all away?

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, no question that rules changes have favored offense over the years. But does that really explain it all away?
Not entirely but it's huge. The run/pass ratios have also changed no? More spread formations..etc....

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not entirely but it's huge. The run/pass ratios have also changed no? More spread formations..etc....
Yes, of course. But remember, the original statement I was responding to is that it's a "QB starved" NFL. I am not trying to say QB play is better now than ever, though statistically it has been. I'm just not understanding the comment about it being bad.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious but what is making you say it's a QB starved NFL? Last season there were 19 passers with a rating over 91, including 6 over 100. That's more than at any other time....even in the Marino/Montana/Elway era there were usually only 1 or 2 QBs with a rating of 100+ in a season. Of the 15 highest passer ratings ever posted, 10 of them were by players who were in the league last year. Not saying that stat means everything, but it's a fair indicator I think. There are probably 7 or 8 future HOF QBs in the league right now.

Just because it's a passing league now doesn't mean there are plenty of top of the line QBs to go around.

As you get down to the bottom of the top ten it tapers off in a hurry.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because it's a passing league now doesn't mean there are plenty of top of the line QBs to go around.

Ok that's fine, but the truth is there ARE plenty of top of the line QBs right now. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Ben Roethlisberger are all HOFers even if they stopped playing right now. Peyton Manning has been part of this era as well. Russell Wilson would have to have something totally unexpected happen to not make it. Probably Andrew Luck as well (assuming he gets back on track). That's 7 QBs who were playing last year that are either locks or well on track to make it to the HOF. Cam Newton could get there, and it's not crazy to think Eli also has a shot with 2 rings. That's quite a few top of the line QBs, is it not?

As you get down to the bottom of the top ten it tapers off in a hurry.
And you haven't come close to showing that describes the current state of the league moreso than at any other time.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok that's fine, but the truth is there ARE plenty of top of the line QBs right now. Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, and Ben Roethlisberger are all HOFers even if they stopped playing right now. Peyton Manning has been part of this era as well. Russell Wilson would have to have something totally unexpected happen to not make it. Probably Andrew Luck as well (assuming he gets back on track). That's 7 QBs who were playing last year that are either locks or well on track to make it to the HOF. Cam Newton could get there, and it's not crazy to think Eli also has a shot with 2 rings. That's quite a few top of the line QBs, is it not?

And you haven't come close to showing that describes the current state of the league moreso than at any other time.

And you're still in the top ten of the league. Like I said. Go back and read my post and you'll notice that.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you're still in the top ten of the league. Like I said. Go back and read my post and you'll notice that.
So there must be 10+ HOF QBs playing at the same time before you're willing to budge? Just goofy man.

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So there must be 10+ HOF QBs playing at the same time before you're willing to budge? Just goofy man.

What does HOF have to do with it? You introduced that into this, not me. I simply said the drop off is dramatic once you get to the bottom end of the top ten and beyond.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well the proliferation of the WCO through the league, which put a huge highlight on QB efficiency is the other. Look at the earliest WCO teams, or QB's who went to WCO teams before that spread over the entire league (Young, Elway, Gannon)...

I think that's been as big as the rule changes personally.

And those two things I think is what has led to the Run:Pass ratio changes. Running was always low risk/low reward, passing was high risk/high reward. 3 step drops, shorter horizontal routes, screens (WCO prolif) and rule changes (contact, QB protection) have taken a lot of the risk away from calling a pass.

Now you really only see teams run heavy with young/bad QB's or to help great defenses on the other side of the ball.

As for the QB starved NFL, I think it's more that there's a bigger chasm between the have's and have nots at QB. Shorter leashes if the QB isn't performing.

On Tannehill. Last year really surprised me. He was looking better and better each year. Not yet up to being a good QB, but you saw the growth continue. Then last year it crashed last year. Still showed some amazing games (the NE one, the Hou one), but had some rough outings. I hope he turns it around, he's a fun QB to watch.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tannehill is junk.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Practice against his own team ….sure I bet he does look amazing.

Tannehill - Throws for 4150 yards, 24 TD, 12 int, 62% completion, and a QB rating of 88.1 nothing super….but decent

Tyrod Taylor - Throws for 3650 yards, 22 TD, 10 int, 64% completion, and a QB rating of 92.1

...and Tyrod gets a 6 year, $90M extension