• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tanaka Being Posted

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yankees think they have it all in the bag and that he is good as theirs. I'll bet they will be getting a rude awakening. Here's our chance to get our arm and keep Walker. This actually makes it alright to trade Walker if we get him. Iwakuma was an old teammate of Tanaka's so let's hope he has some influence!

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never posting on my phone again, this is the third time I have written this post because I keep accidentally hitting a different page.

I am interested to see if the Mariners make a run at Tanaka due to the recent rumors of them informing agents they are reaching their payroll limit. Dave Cameron projected that Mariners payroll at around $80m currently, $90m if incentives are met. Tanaka is likely to get at least $15m a year. If you take the $20m posting fee and add his $15m salary you get a $35m addition to payroll to bring us to $115m-$125m.

I would be happy to see us sign him, just don't see it happening.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yanks have about $16 mill left to dedicate to payroll if they want to stay under the luxury tax threshold. It's something they've been talking about for a couple of years now, so I think it's genuine.

Looks like they budgeted out exactly enough to sign Tanaka....$16-17 mill this year, with a gradual increase in salary and incentives over the course of the contract.

My money's on the Yanks, but you never know. Seattle is an attractive destination for a Japanese player, obviously, and we don't have the crazy state tax either.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Yanks have about $16 mill left to dedicate to payroll if they want to stay under the luxury tax threshold. It's something they've been talking about for a couple of years now, so I think it's genuine.

Looks like they budgeted out exactly enough to sign Tanaka....$16-17 mill this year, with a gradual increase in salary and incentives over the course of the contract.

My money's on the Yanks, but you never know. Seattle is an attractive destination for a Japanese player, obviously, and we don't have the crazy state tax either.

2 reasons why I don't think the Yankees care about the luxury tax anymore..
1) Tanaka is young and they need him extremely bad.
2) Boston won a ring...

I still don't think the Yankees get him, but I'm not sure we do either. I just hope the FO realizes that we could have our own "Darvish" and that he will generate money. It would be almost Ichiro all over again. He could become a legend here. He could flop. I'll take the risk. We're all in now anyways...right?

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 reasons why I don't think the Yankees care about the luxury tax anymore..
1) Tanaka is young and they need him extremely bad.
2) Boston won a ring...

My point was that they could get Tanaka without going over the $189 million mark if they can get him to sign for $16-$17 million for the first year. I'm betting they left that much on purpose just in case Tanaka was posted.

We'll see what happens soon enough.

I agree with you about the M's. It would be excellent if we could get him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would love to see the M's land Tanaka and put the David Price rumors to rest. How about a rotation next year of Felix/Iwakuma/Tanaka/Walker and Paxton? Filthy.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never posting on my phone again, this is the third time I have written this post because I keep accidentally hitting a different page.

I am interested to see if the Mariners make a run at Tanaka due to the recent rumors of them informing agents they are reaching their payroll limit. Dave Cameron projected that Mariners payroll at around $80m currently, $90m if incentives are met. Tanaka is likely to get at least $15m a year. If you take the $20m posting fee and add his $15m salary you get a $35m addition to payroll to bring us to $115m-$125m.

I would be happy to see us sign him, just don't see it happening.

I don't think the posting fee counts towards payroll anymore, if it ever did to begin with. Obviously the money still comes out of that part of the team budget, but I don't know if MLB officially recognizes the posting fee as part of the payroll. I'd have to read the new rules.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of the players from Asia like playing for westcoast teams because of the shorter commutes back to Japan, South Korea, etc... + their fans from the homeland visit in greater numbers to see them play.

Hopefully the M's go after him. Would hate to see him end up the Yankees or another AL west team.

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This had better be The priority of the winter for the LA Dodgers. No way the Yankees, striving to budget, or any other team, can spend more to get Tanaka.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the posting fee counts towards payroll anymore, if it ever did to begin with. Obviously the money still comes out of that part of the team budget, but I don't know if MLB officially recognizes the posting fee as part of the payroll. I'd have to read the new rules.

Money all comes from the same place. The reason why the Mariners won't go over $100m payroll is because they are concerned about running a profit. If they somehow land Tanaka they will likely run at a loss this year.

I think that adding Tanaka could help the team long-term (i.e. as interest in the team grows with improvement) but I wonder if the Mariners are more concerned about running at a profit. If you add Tanaka the team is very likely to lose money this year. Fan interest will pick up this year but even if the Mariners make the playoffs this year they will probably not reap the benefits of that until next year.

Good long term addition? Yes. But are the Mariners willing to run at a loss this year? Not sure.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

posting fees do not count as payroll when it comes to calculations for luxury tax and such...lol, like we ever have to worry about that with the m's.

but teams count it all as payroll. lowering the posting fee to $20 million is why tanaka is going to get a big yearly salary all to himself.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep hearing about M's want to make a profit and won't spend this or that, but if last year budget was suppose to be $95M that tells me that they still would have made a profit because no team, especially the M's, set a cap that loses them money. Now you add the $25M each team is getting via new TV deal, that tells me that their no-loss budget should be at $120M. So if we are at roughly $81M, then we should have another $39M to spend while still not losing money. These are their numbers, not mine so I am not sure why I keep hearing we have nothing left to spend but the remaining budgeted money.

$39M should get you Tanaka ($17M), Jimenez ($12M), and Crane ($5M), and another $5M bullpen arm. There just ain't no bats worth spending on the way we are setup.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much is Tanaka really worth? I've seen some of his lines, but have no idea about the guy. Would he make us better, or would he be a financial burden? Just curious in the event that one of you guy's are familiar with him.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you compare him to others like Darvish and Iwakuma before they came here, the value the market has placed on Tanaka of $17-$18 mill/year makes sense.

Nobody knows how well he'll do in the majors for sure, though. We can only go by analogy.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't believe the FO when they say we don't have the funds and I think they're playing their cards right by saying that. I also remember somewhere hearing they would spend $ under special circumstances. I think Tanaka might be a "special circumstance".