• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taking the safety would've been moronic

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL man you guys get upset easy. Just be happy your team won a game where they played pretty shitty on offense. Couldnt afford another loss there. Anyway remind me not to disagree with you guys anymore :) just my opinion ( shared by lots of people)

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL man you guys get upset easy. Just be happy your team won a game where they played pretty shitty on offense. Couldnt afford another loss there. Anyway remind me not to disagree with you guys anymore :) just my opinion ( shared by lots of people)

Taken aback by the staggering display by some who would rather feel even 50% right about something than acknowledge the full scope of reality would be a more appropriate description, in my case.

Tell me again about how lots of people sharing an opinion somehow makes it credible?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Still???? Wow.

There is no safer play in football than victory formation! That's the end of it. If the choice is victory formation or ANYTHING else, you take victory formation (assuming you're not on your own 1 yard line and risk kneeling in the end zone of course).

amateurhour.png

FourBeeDen

Semi Lurker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Still???? Wow.

There is no safer play in football than victory formation! That's the end of it. If the choice is victory formation or ANYTHING else, you take victory formation (assuming you're not on your own 1 yard line and risk kneeling in the end zone of course).

amateurhour.png

Unless they are playing against Tampa Bay :bolt:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless they are playing against Tampa Bay :bolt:

Hmmmmm i wonder if Harbs would of kept the safety had we been playing Tampa. lol

Seriously though guys you :deadhorse: on this topic

Everyone have a :llama:

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant safe as in safer way to winning. I dont give 2 shits about player safety because they take that chance every play they make.

If you were a coach you would most certainly give 2 shits about player safety. In fact, you would give 2 million shits. What happens if Matt Ryan gets hurt? You have a shit to give at that point? People who bet on the game (not sure if you did) are thinking irrationally because they have money tied into margin of victory. Harbaugh wants to win period, and his best chance for that to continue is for his players to be healthy.

Do you guys want to know 100% why Harbaugh made the right call... because that is the call he made and the game was won. That is the only fact in this entire situation. No matter how small the chances are for the other outcome to happen, we will never know if it would have. The Niners get the ball and kneel down anyway, or it is one of the greatest comebacks in NFL history by the Seahawks. We will never know. What we do know, is that everything went according to what Harbaugh decided at the moment. The point spread, the slim chances of all those other scenarios mean dick.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seriously can't believe this caused a debate like this

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you can't score 7 without the ball...or get hurt in victory formation.

Do you really think lack of understanding the number of points Seattle could score on one play is what's plaguing those of us who agreed with the decision?

Rep! I thought about having this as my sig because it was so funny, except for a) I didn't write it and b) don't need to make my posts any longer.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because its still the riskier play to lose the game. I said all along thats all i was talking about.

But as a head coach looking out for the season both in players you have to live another day and a win/loss that makes or breaks your playoff chances, you can't just look at it one way or the other. Harbaugh looked at both and came up with this decision. Sure, as a fan, you can desire one way or the other, but to criticize a coach for his decision, you can't simply say "strictly in terms of winning" because he made the decision NOT "strictly in terms of winning." You just can't. (Calling a decision "stupid" is criticizing the decision in it's entriety despite saying that YOU were looking just at victory odds.) There's not a common denominator. It's like saying Y = X + 1, solve for X without assigning Y a number. Sure X = Y - 1 but you're no closer to knowing whether X is 2 or 1 or 1 billion.

Now do people understand why I said that I wish Harbaugh had just cited injury as a reason, if not the reason?

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Now do people understand why I said that I wish Harbaugh had just cited injury as a reason, if not the reason?

First of all, he probably would have if he cared enough to say so and if he thought of it. And no, I don't understand. I don't get this:

But as a head coach looking out for the season both in players you have to live another day and a win/loss that makes or breaks your playoff chances, you can't just look at it one way or the other.
Huh? :confused2: I think there were some commas or semicolons missing there.

because he made the decision NOT "strictly in terms of winning."

I'm not trying to be narky, but your post was a grammatical nightmare, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your point. But... Yes he did. He made the decision that gave the team the highest chance of winning. Period.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First of all, he probably would have if he cared enough to say so and if he thought of it. And no, I don't understand. I don't get this:

Huh? :confused2: I think there were some commas or semicolons missing there.

I'm not trying to be narky, but your post was a grammatical nightmare, so forgive me if I'm misunderstanding your point. But... Yes he did. He made the decision that gave the team the highest chance of winning. Period.

Yeah, my post was grammatically hard to read. "One way or the other" meant chances of winning or chances of injury.

I meant that rmillia shouldn't analyze a decision only looking at one aspect (winning) and criticize the coach for making a different decision when a HC often looks at more than one aspect (winning + injury risk, etc.). I only said that because he called the decision stupid and then repeatedly said he was only looking at the winning aspect (which I disagree with him anyway). I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree on whether Harbaugh considered injury in his assessment in making his decision. That might be an ingrained consideration like avoiding turnovers (though the Josh Morgan injury is the opposite, so I could be wrong. Victory formation would have been the call if it were only safety considered.) Didn't say the chance of injury was the main or only factor, either.

Last edited by a moderator:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know he didn't cite it as a reason, so that leans towards it not being a factor, I just think that it was there. No biggie, I could be wrong.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NinerSickness, just read the ProFootballTalk article and have changed my mind. It's irrelevant on whether Harbaugh cared about injury risks because football wise it made less sense to take the safety. With that, there's a reasonable chance that injury wasn't a major factor in the decision, given that he probably already looks at kneel downs as relatively riskless. If you know the safest play and have a chance at choosing that play, going over the risks of the alternatives is pointless. He cares about injury, but it might not have been a factor at all here. Good football decision.

Not taking safety was smart move for Harbaugh | ProFootballTalk (Already posted here, but again for reference.)

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How are people still talking about this?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still???? Wow.

amateurhour.png

There it is right there. game was over.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we needed those 2 points for our epeen

arsenal6106

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if this is even a debate if the NFL Network commentators didn't react the way did towards this call.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if this is even a debate if the NFL Network commentators didn't react the way did towards this call.

That and the betting world. It wasn't an actual big deal outside of that because 1) the Niners won, 2) no one got injured. 3) you don't win more with a 2-point larger victory. Can you imagine this place if Smith had a fumble 6 on the victory formation? There's already enough questioning of Smith and wondering about Harbaugh's decisions on run/pass, Smith/Kaep, etc.