• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Taking the safety would've been moronic

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dub, I think though that if the call got overturned he would have taken the penalty. He made the call originally because the ruling on the field was turnover on downs.

Correct. Coaches get the option to accept or decline penalties after the final ruling has been made via replay.

Anyone claiming he should have taken the safety either bet on the Niners to cover or needs to schedule a cat-scan.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My friend was talking about how his buddy just lost money on the game, and all I could say was, "stop gambling." Doesn't matter if you agree with the call or not, Harbaugh isn't out there thinking about whats going on in Vegas or if he is covering the spread. The only reason I said to take the points from the safety is because it makes it a two score game, and then you just call fair catch on free kick. After thinking about it though, I do agree with the call. If Ginn muffs the kick, or returns it, there is a much greater chance of injury when the game is already in hand.

I finally figured that out with 5 Gs riding on a Giants-Broncos game when I had the Broncos and 2 points with the Giants leading by one when the final play of the game turned into Theater of the Absurd. I gave it up after that.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing that bothered me about it is that the play was still in question. They were going to review the spot of the ball, had they over turned it (we had been screwed several times by the refs in that game) then we would have been in trouble. Harbaugh makes a lot of quick decisions without thinking, especially when it comes to plays under review so that worried me a bit. When the call on the field as confirmed I felt much better. I'm happy with the result, I'm never one to complain about a win.

That being said, Harbaugh certainly has his flaws like any other coach.

That doesn't make any sense. The only way Harbaugh said he was gonna decline the safety was if it was forsure the Seahawks were short.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only risk to taking the play over the penalty was Carroll's challenge. Once Harbaugh made the decision to take the play he then had to hope the refs spot (and subsequent measurement) was accurate.

If on review the spot moved the ball past the 1st down marker there would have been nothing Harbaugh could do. So, you can bet while Harbaugh was jawing with the refs on procedure, the booth was looking at the play repeatedly for risk of losing the challenge.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If on review the spot moved the ball past the 1st down marker there would have been nothing Harbaugh could do. So, you can bet while Harbaugh was jawing with the refs on procedure the booth was looking at the play repeatedly for risk of losing the challenge.

I'm about 99.995% sure this is wrong.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point but the safety was still the better way to go. I cant understand willingly going from a 2 score lead back to a 1 score lead EVER. Even if the odds of fucking up the snap on the victory formation are .00001% I certainly would rather not risk that when I can have a 2 score lead and try to make a team A) get an onsides B) go 60 yards with no timeouts in about 15 seconds and then C) get another onsides and finally D) go another 30 yards in the last 5 seconds and then a get a guy on the field to kick a FG. LOL. While I understand what Harbaugh did it was NOT the better play in he wanted to ensure a win.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get your point but the safety was still the better way to go. I cant understand willingly going from a 2 score lead back to a 1 score lead EVER. Even if the odds of fucking up the snap on the victory formation are .00001% I certainly would rather not risk that when I can have a 2 score lead and try to make a team A) get an onsides B) go 60 yards with no timeouts in about 15 seconds and then C) get another onsides and finally D) go another 30 yards in the last 5 seconds and then a get a guy on the field to kick a FG. LOL. While I understand what Harbaugh did it was NOT the better play in he wanted to ensure a win.

No, the safety was NOT that way to go. By declining the safety the 49ers were two kneel downs away from victory. Two kneel downs. Why the hell even bother going through the sequence of an onside kick and the maybe a defensive series, when you have the freakin game won already.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I can recall a Bears game about 8-10 years ago against the Browns where we did this. It's obviously ridiculously improbable,but unless you have a backup center or QB it is still more likely than the chance of blowing a snap.

Harbaugh was completely correct.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I'm 100% sure you are wrong - Listen, Harbaugh had to choose whether to decline the penalty and take the play, or accept the penalty and decline the play.

You don't get to decline a penalty then decide after a challenge that you now want to take the penalty. Harbaugh was within his rights to have the spot measured prior to deciding but once he decided - that's it.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm with ya. I can remember a good number of times where the replay ruling is made and then the ref asks coach, "Still want it?" or "Still want to decline?"

Coaches make the accept/decline decision based on the ruling on the field and are also afforded the opportunity to change that decision after any changes to the ruling via replay. At least that is my understanding...

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm with ya. I can remember a good number of times where the replay ruling is made and then the ref asks coach, "Still want it?" or "Still want to decline?"

Coaches make the accept/decline decision based on the ruling on the field and are also afforded the opportunity to change that decision after any changes to the ruling via replay. At least that is my understanding...

Yes, you are right. Harbaugh didn't make his decision until the refs measured the spot and told him the outcome.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And I'm 100% sure you are wrong - Listen, Harbaugh had to choose whether to decline the penalty and take the play, or accept the penalty and decline the play.

You don't get to decline a penalty then decide after a challenge that you now want to take the penalty. Harbaugh was within his rights to have the spot measured prior to deciding but once he decided - that's it.

I'm not sure what the official rule is, but I am 100% certain I have seen refs change a coach's decision after replay overturned the result on more than one occasion. So either you are wrong or the refs are.

Last edited by a moderator:

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what the official rule is, but I am 100% certain I have seen refs change a coach's decision after replay overturn the result on more than one occasion. So either you are wrong or the refs are.

:thumb: for proper usage of 100%

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure the risk of injury and not the risk of losing was the impetus for Harbaugh's decision. The risk of losing with either decision was going to be EXTREMELY remote. However, the same cannot be said about the risk of injury.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did Harbaugh get the idea from Kap or did he give that idea to Kap?
;)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what the official rule is, but I am 100% certain I have seen refs change a coach's decision after replay overturned the result on more than one occasion. So either you are wrong or the refs are.

My thought was Carroll had challenged the spot - he did not due to not having a timeout. However, if after the measurement Carroll did challenge the spot and based upon THAT review the ball was moved past the marker then Harbaugh could not have changed his decision.

abaskin18

Oilman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thought was Carroll had challenged the spot - he did not due to not having a timeout. However, if after the measurement Carroll did challenge the spot and based upon THAT review the ball was moved past the marker then Harbaugh could not have changed his decision.

With under a minute left?

After the replay review, whether challenged or done so by the booth, Harbaugh was rightly afforded the opportunity to accept or decline the penalty.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yes he could. It's happened plenty of times throughout the years. It usually happens with holding or illegal contact on the defense when the receiver makes a close catch that is reviewed.

Call on the field is catch, so the offense declines the penalty. Review shows incomplete pass, so the penalty is accepted.

OR

The call is against the offense, the ruling on the field is interception so the penalty is declined, but reply shows the ball hit the ground and was incomplete. The team then accepts the penalty (to set up first and 20 instead of second and ten).

NinersForLife

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So many people spouting off garbage about why it was wrong to not take the safety using incorrect rules or assumptions ("THEY CAN'T ONSIDE KICK, THEY HAVE TO PUNT IDIOT!!!!111" or "WTF WHAT IF THEY GOT THE MEASUREMENT AND ALREADY DECLINED THE PENALTY!!!!111" when they would be able to just then take penalty and the safety).

The Niners won the game and did it taking the correct and safe route. It doesn't matter if you would have done it differently. Hell many of the people complaining don't even know the rules.