• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

T Magic

Big Red Said

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought I would pass this along first thing this morning. This is an article from Brian in its entirety. Credits are given to the report to insure there is no copy write issues. "T" is the real deal.... just have to see what he does in game situations rather than practice.

Martinez
Husker QB Taylor Martinez causing fervor
By BRIAN ROSENTHAL

The needle on the buzz-o-meter has pushed into the red area, and Taylor Martinez hasn't yet taken a snap.
A young quarterback with blazing speed. A team in need of an offensive spark. A fan base with memories and dreams of option keepers and oxygen mask-seeking defenders.
Throw in a nickname like "T-Magic," and Betty Crocker couldn't concoct a better recipe for hype.
What happens, then, when Martinez actually plays Saturday night against Western Kentucky?
And what if he starts?
Nebraska coach Bo Pelini declined Thursday to name his starting quarterback, saying the answer will come Saturday.
Zac Lee? Cody Green? Martinez?
Know this: No quarterback in Nebraska history has started the season's first game as a redshirted freshman.
Not Gill. Not Frazier. Not Crouch.
Maybe T-Magic?
"I don't know where he got the name from, and I don't know how it came about," wide receiver Niles Paul said, "but we call him T-Magic."
Safety P.J. Smith doesn't know the nickname's origin, either. Not a clue. He said he doesn't think Martinez gave himself the nickname, noting Martinez is quiet, reserved and humble.
But check out what Martinez writes to Husker fans on what appears to be his authentic Facebook page for fans:
T-Magic "The Uncanny Ability To Make Things Happen!"
3 Is A Magic Number
Martinez Magic
Not surprisingly, fans have responded with praise:
"Hey taylor i watched you in the spring game you were outstanding you were the best qb out there i believe you should be the starter this year you remind of tommy frazier"
"TMagic, how would (you) personally rank your Fall Camp? Strengths & Weaknesses."
"Hope you are kicking some butt in fall camp!"
"If Nebraska ... starts you you will win the Heisman Every Year you play you are the Definition of a man Good Luck this year."
"Starting QB this year man. Good luck."
A little much for someone who's never played? Perhaps. But Smith isn't scoffing at the accolades. Or the nickname. Not after seeing what Martinez did one day in practice.
Smith described how Martinez dropped back to pass and barely eluded a pass rush. He broke free. Somebody hit him, and Martinez spun away. Then came a stiff arm. Then another hit, and another spin move.
"Actually, he spun twice, and the same time he was spinning, he was falling, and somehow, he kept his balance," Smith said. "We had a guy like two feet from him. ..."
Thirty yards later. ...
"That kid's amazing. Amazing. He flies around, he's fast. We'll be in coverage, and nobody's open, and next you know -- pshwoo! -- he'll just take off. And you're like, 'Aw, s--.' I mean, he's just gone."
Headache for a defensive coordinator, perhaps?
"He's hell," Smith said. "You'll have to put a spy on him, but I don't even think a spy can hold him."
While Martinez turns heads with his speed, his improved passing throughout fall camp is what's kept him in the thick of the starting race.
The first week, Paul said, Martinez was rushing.
"Then you saw him get comfortable back there with us and finally catch a rhythm back there with all the receivers," Paul said, "and he started putting the ball in places it was supposed to be."
Said Smith: "His passing got really better. He's throwing good balls. He'll squeeze a couple of balls here and there, and you're like, 'How the hell did he get in that in there?' "
Both Paul and Smith emphasized that Nebraska has three good quarterbacks, that any three are qualified to start.
For now, only one is causing a fervor among Big Red.
We'll hear from Martinez in a couple of days, after he's played. Until then, he's off-limits to the media.
If you're wondering what he's thinking, there's this Facebook message from Martinez, posted Aug. 14 -- two days after his absence from practice (excused, Pelini said) created a stir:

"If you're trying to achieve, there will be roadblocks. I've had them; everybody has had them. But obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it." Michael Jordan

HuskerFan8807

HUGE member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
wow, i dont care anymore, i want t magic to start, i want to see him take the first snap and prove to me he can be our QB!
and if we cant well then we will worry about that later!

LRNKYERYDINUNUW.20100417195433.JPG

HuskerFan8807

HUGE member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so is that some insider info their irule?
if that is true... i might have to celebrate!

Last edited by a moderator:

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's secondhand inside info, but i'm almost 100 % confident T-Magic is starting. he's been taking all the reps with the 1's.

HuskerFan8807

HUGE member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
awesome! now we will at least be able to see how he runs the offense, i know its only western kentucky but we will at least be able to get an idea on what he is capable of!
my only concern is, if we are sold on him to start and win games for us, we better stick with him and not be sending him in and out otherwise he wont be ready for real play against teams like texas!

iruletheskool

iruleiskool
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.22
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if we are sold on him to start and win games for us, we better stick with him and not be sending him in and out otherwise he wont be ready for real play against teams like texas!

they were saying on a different board that Cody would get the second quarter and whoever looked better would play more, but that may or may not be true.

either way, i doubt we see much of Lee, for awhile anyway

jwesh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
they were saying on a different board that Cody would get the second quarter and whoever looked better would play more, but that may or may not be true.

either way, i doubt we see much of Lee, for awhile anyway

I am starting to think he is going to start also. But I am still a little worried about all the hype he is getting.

TouchdownTommyF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Im a little concerned about the hype as well but he is the qb for NU.....it comes with the territory....im not a big fan of putting in green for the second quarter......choose the starter and move on......its not good for the development of either guy......they will have no rhytm or continuity...if he wants to start Magic game 1 and Green game 2 then do that but not freaking in game switching unless someone is doing bad....it helped Green 0 last year as u can tell

HuskerResurrected

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
he won't start....This is the same movie of last year with Green..Then Watson with his stubborness lets Lee start every game even though he is incapable of winning some games.

Here is the difference between Lee and Martinez.

Lee-Put him in the game and tell him to NOT lose it, manage the game, but don't take any risks, don't go out on a limb to make a play, manage the game so we don't lose.

T-Mart-Go out there and make a play, create havoc on the defense and don't make any mistakes.

Sorry, but Lee is going to start at least for the first month and will continue to start unless he performs like he did last year and then it will be like pulling teeth to get Watson to start another guy.

Jack_John_Mark

¿Cómo está usted?
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For some reason I have a different feeling in my gut this time around.......last year I felt like Lee was the managing QB, but this year I feel like Martinez is actually passing him up.....

I know it seems impossible to just "feel" that while we haven't even seen the kid play yet......but I'm also going off of what my sources are telling me.

HuskerResurrected

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't know how to feel about this, IF T-Mart is deserving of the starting job and he IS the best QB that we have then by all means start him...But I am worried that if he does start since he is young he will choke during big games, I.E. texa$, Okie State on the road is a tough place and Texas AM.

I don't really like Lee, but I feel like because of his experience we have a better shot in those games with him at hte helm then T-mart

Now I could be totally wrong and T-Mart becomes an Eric Crouch type QB and immediately makes an impact during his first year, and that would be great. But something tells me I would feel a little more comfortable with Lee at the helm....and that pains for me to say because I can't stand Lee.

Also, with Lee's performance at the Holiday Bowl and the whole "he was injured all year" deal I think the coaches are going to let lee start until he proves he hasn't improved at all from last year.

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me a sucker but I'm 70%-30% on the rumors that it won't be Lee. The "circus" comment is what sells me..TMart is off limits to the media..
Even before the injury to Lee last year I felt he'd maxed out in potential, that he was the QB by default. A transitional player. As was stated above, "Manage the offense and don't lose the game".
I don't know if it will be Green or T Mart but both of them have had a year to study the system, a spring to work with the entire team, a summer to work with rcvrs, and a fall to once again work with the entire team.
As I said before, some guys just mentally grasp things better than others. They are naturals. TMart could be one of those guys.
I've never seen that in Lee. He always seemed like a deer in the headlights struggling to make something happen. Waiting for someone else to make things happen.

One thing Gill, Frazier, Frost, and Crouch had in common was they didn't wait for someone else to make a play. They had that confidence in themselves.

There, I said it..

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskerResurrected

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Red Alert I agree....I too feel like we have seen the best Lee has to offer and that was all of last year, he won't get any better. He is simply in there to not lose the game, rather to to win the game.

jwesh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am starting to believe its not going to be Lee also. Otherwise I think they would have announced it already. No reason to wait to tell us something we were all assuming anyway. However I have not seen many qb's make a impact as a freshman so that concerns me some.

HuskerResurrected

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but if it is T-Mart why whould they hold out to suprise us on gameday?

THe only logic I see to not telling us that is T-Mart is to keep us from speculation on the decision or the media mauling T-Mart during and after practice and let T-Mary prove to everyone he is the right guy after he dominates game 1..

Because there hasn't been an announcement makes me think it is Lee, because it's business as usual, if it were someone else starting I think that is more announcement worthy then just naming Lee the starter again

jwesh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
but if it is T-Mart why whould they hold out to suprise us on gameday?

THe only logic I see to not telling us that is T-Mart is to keep us from speculation on the decision or the media mauling T-Mart during and after practice and let T-Mary prove to everyone he is the right guy after he dominates game 1..

Because there hasn't been an announcement makes me think it is Lee, because it's business as usual, if it were someone else starting I think that is more announcement worthy then just naming Lee the starter again

You may also have a point all this is giving me a headache :) I just cant wait until we know.

jwesh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Who knows maybe it will be Green, no one is really talking about him.