• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Switching Lee and Carter

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Read an interesting article over Christmas cant remember what site that basically said the Cowboys might want to consider switching Lee and Carter positions moving Lee to Will and Carter to Mike. Saying that it would help Lee with him being a little undersized and Carter with being a little slow on learning the defense. With Lee still calling the plays on Defense .

Kinda made sense was wondering what Y'all think

I'm not proposing anything just asking for opinions if any of you think that could help the Cowboys Defense

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOVE Lee in the middle, but if it helps Carter, and Lee plays like Lee as Will, then I'm all for it.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOVE Lee in the middle, but if it helps Carter, and Lee plays like Lee as Will, then I'm all for it.

Same here. Carter has had some good games in the middle, it would really depend on Lee being as great at Will as he is at Mike

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine a scenario where this team is better with Carter in the middle than Lee. Lee would make a great Will, Sam or any other LBer in a 4-3. But your MLB is the guy that makes things go and Lee is the best MLB on this team by a mile and one of the best in the entire league. I don't know who wrote that article, but it would be a very bad idea...luckily it isn't going to happen...

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't imagine a scenario where this team is better with Carter in the middle than Lee. Lee would make a great Will, Sam or any other LBer in a 4-3. But your MLB is the guy that makes things go and Lee is the best MLB on this team by a mile and one of the best in the entire league. I don't know who wrote that article, but it would be a very bad idea...luckily it isn't going to happen...

thanks for bringing some common sense to this thread.
If Carter cant get it done where he is suppose to be. Then lets get someone new.
That's like saying hey lets take a guy out of his natural O-line spot to put someone else there & then put him in another spot. These thoughts don't make sense to me.

Ekspozed

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thanks for bringing some common sense to this thread.
If Carter cant get it done where he is suppose to be. Then lets get someone new.
That's like saying hey lets take a guy out of his natural O-line spot to put someone else there & then put him in another spot. These thoughts don't make sense to me.

I think you are a bit off here. If Carter is better in the middle than where he is now, and Lee can play at the level he is now, at the Will, then I don't see how it is a bad idea at all? Lee would still be able to call the defense.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are a bit off here. If Carter is better in the middle than where he is now, and Lee can play at the level he is now, at the Will, then I don't see how it is a bad idea at all? Lee would still be able to call the defense.

only way this makes sense to me is if Carter could play the middle as well as Lee, which is a pipe dream. you don't weaken a position of strength to accommodate a player that is playing sub par. you go find a guy that can take that players position. Now you would have more strength at that position without weakening another position.

Hey we had a weakness at DT maybe we should have put Ware as a DT. Hell while we were at it maybe before we got a real FB we were weak with players we tried using there. Lets just put Murray as the FB & put a lesser RB at tailback. This concept makes no sense.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
only way this makes sense to me is if Carter could play the middle as well as Lee, which is a pipe dream. you don't weaken a position of strength to accommodate a player that is playing sub par. you go find a guy that can take that players position. Now you would have more strength at that position without weakening another position.

Hey we had a weakness at DT maybe we should have put Ware as a DT. Hell while we were at it maybe before we got a real FB we were weak with players we tried using there. Lets just put Murray as the FB & put a lesser RB at tailback. This concept makes no sense.

That's a pretty poor comparison, Ware to DT. How about a flanker to a slot? An outside corner covering slot? A left guard playing right guard. SS playing FS. Or MLB playing OLB. If Carter could elevate his play to Pro Bowl level in the middle, and Lee were one of the best OLB's in the game, it would make a ton of sense. But that's two big if's.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a pretty poor comparison, Ware to DT. How about a flanker to a slot? An outside corner covering slot? A left guard playing right guard. SS playing FS. Or MLB playing OLB. If Carter could elevate his play to Pro Bowl level in the middle, and Lee were one of the best OLB's in the game, it would make a ton of sense. But that's two big if's.

already mentioned in my 1st post moving O-line to other spots. Carter's problem is recognizing & reacting. So even if as one poster mentioned. Lee called the plays from OLB, Carter would still be a problem doing what Lee does in the middle. So I agree. That is one huge if. My way of saying it isn't gonna happen :)

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
already mentioned in my 1st post moving O-line to other spots. Carter's problem is recognizing & reacting. So even if as one poster mentioned. Lee called the plays from OLB, Carter would still be a problem doing what Lee does in the middle. So I agree. That is one huge if. My way of saying it isn't gonna happen :)

Man I'm dropping this because I agree with you, I don't want Lee out of the middle. But to the OP, I will say there is a big difference in Carter's production when he is in the middle

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man I'm dropping this because I agree with you, I don't want Lee out of the middle. But to the OP, I will say there is a big difference in Carter's production when he is in the middle

actually it was when he was an ILB when he excelled. Not so much as a MLB. otherwise he would have been the Mike when Lee got hurt.

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He played better when Lee was out

true but when he was doing well was in the 3-4 scheme. he did nothing spectacular this year. If he is not careful he may lose his starting job completely next year.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true but when he was doing well was in the 3-4 scheme. he did nothing spectacular this year. If he is not careful he may lose his starting job completely next year.

He does need to pick it up. With our cap situation, we can't extend guys on potential anymore

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the input guys and while it might work the ifs are way 2 big after reading and reflection. Just trying to see what might work to get our defense going again. As always its the best players not the schemes that make things work.

Draft well Jerry

Ford you can close this thread if you want nothing more to be gained here

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did worry a bit about Carter playing the weak side..... Was hoping the coaches knew something I didn't.

Carter excels at getting to the ball. Not playing coverage.

I think our coaches were thinking because of his speed he would be able to cover. Something he has never been asked to do. Closest he had came to doing it was when he had to take over for Lee in the 3-4 and that was only a couple of games before he also went down.

So they went out and got Durant ... who is strictly a strong side linebacker. Who got hurt. Which hurt alot more than some think against the running game.

Smart move would be to find a weakside linebacker and move Carter to the strongside. He has the strength for it ... and would be a total nightmare against teams dumping off to the Rb as well as against the running game.
But since we are cap strapped in Free Agency this year and have bigger needs at DT and Safety ... we may be forced to see if Carter can can be coached up for pass coverage.
Sadly this isn't a video game where you jusgt plug and play players to do things they have never been expected to do before.

I don't want to move Lee. He led the team in INTs despite being injured. and reads the offense better than any player on our defense. He needs to stay in the middle.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thus far....to me, Carter excels at hanging his head.

big year for carter next year....sure hope he grows up some. We could really use what he could bring IF he puts on his big boy panties

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would rather see us switch carter to a roaming type player. Stick him at de and let him rush the qb once in awhile

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really need to go back to 3-4. Carter was better in that scheme

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did worry a bit about Carter playing the weak side..... Was hoping the coaches knew something I didn't.

Carter excels at getting to the ball. Not playing coverage.

I think our coaches were thinking because of his speed he would be able to cover. Something he has never been asked to do. Closest he had came to doing it was when he had to take over for Lee in the 3-4 and that was only a couple of games before he also went down.

So they went out and got Durant ... who is strictly a strong side linebacker. Who got hurt. Which hurt alot more than some think against the running game.

Smart move would be to find a weakside linebacker and move Carter to the strongside. He has the strength for it ... and would be a total nightmare against teams dumping off to the Rb as well as against the running game.
But since we are cap strapped in Free Agency this year and have bigger needs at DT and Safety ... we may be forced to see if Carter can can be coached up for pass coverage.
Sadly this isn't a video game where you jusgt plug and play players to do things they have never been expected to do before.

I don't want to move Lee. He led the team in INTs despite being injured. and reads the offense better than any player on our defense. He needs to stay in the middle.

Carter has been horrible outside of 3 games last year. I didn't see anything that he was good at this year. Horrible instincts, can't learn a simple defense, can't cover, average tackler, can't fill a hole. Didn't even see him chase down any plays or use his speed in any way. Time for him to sit on the bench unless he remembers how to play football. I don't see a position that I'd want the guy I watched this year playing. Holloman looked better in his first start than Carter looked in any game this year and Holloman has barely even played LB.