• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suspend Beckham and Norman

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's time to send a message to babies who think more of themselves than they do of the NFL and their teams. It is a privilege to play in the NFL, not a right. Garbage talking and taunting needs to be more closely penalized. It's about team. And that also applies to our WR...This is a result of past players like Deion Sanders and Terrell Owens......This is not the NBA. Suspend them both for the rest of the season.

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trash talk is no big deal, 'cept to the thinned skinned. Now cheap shots? That should get a guy suspended. Since he's a star, it probably won't.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Odell Beckham could get 1-game ban for Norman incidents
By Jared Dubin | Staff Writer

December 21, 2015 9:37 am ET

Odell Beckham and Josh Norman were going at it all day long on Sunday. Right from the very first play, the star Giants wideout and the star Panthers cornerback were locking horns, jawing after every snap, and getting incredibly physical as well. Eventually, frustrations boiled over and Beckham came after Norman with what appeared to be an incredibly dirty hit to the head:

fightobj.0.gif
(SBNation)

Because of that play and others, the league is reportedly considering a 1-game suspension for Beckham, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

However, there is reason to caution against expecting Beckham to actually sit New York's next game (Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings). First of all, the league has a long history of issuing suspensions to look as though it is rectifying an issue (i.e. Beckham probably should have been ejected, but wasn't), all the while knowing that the suspension is likely to be reduced to a heavy fine on appeal. This is especially true in the case of players like Beckham -- who had no previous history of hits to the head before Sunday.

It's even true of players with a long history of dirty play, particularly when the ensuing game has potential season-ending implications -- like Ndamukong Suh, who had his 1-game suspension for stepping on Aaron Rodgers overturned and reduced to a $70,000 fine last season and was thus able to play in the Lions' opening-round playoff game.

Another factor to consider is the relationship between New York Giants owner John Mara and the commissioner's office. Mara was previously able to get the NFL to dock the Cowboys and Washington a combined $46 million in cap space when they frontloaded contracts in the uncapped year back in 2010, arguing that the teams' actions were against the spirit of the CBA -- which did not even really exist at the time.

Monday Night play: Lions at Saints is an easy call

Basically: Mara wields a lot of influence. He is one of the league's most respected owners, and his team is fighting for a playoff spot in the NFC East. If you consider the history of Goodell's relationship with owners affecting decisions -- SpyGate, anyone? -- it is not all that difficult to envision the same thing happening here.

Odell_Beckham_Cheap_Shot_Josh_Norman.png
Odell Beckham goes after Josh Norman's head. (NFL on FOX)

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 393,376.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really think trash talking is the problem, that's been going on since David v Goliath. Like CarlSr said, the problem is with players letting it get to them and then letting it affect their decision-making.

But I do believe the refs should have issued some flags and warnings earlier than they did, and they really should have ejected Beckham for the ear-holing. Since he's a star on a marquee team, he wasn't. That just made it all worse.

I'm sure the league doesn't like some of it but I'm guessing they do like the fact that we are all going to be talking about this for a while.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Takes two to tango er' what have you....the helmet to the head was bad...I didn't watch in real-time, but I'm certain Norman played his part.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it's his first offense then I don't think he
Takes two to tango er' what have you....the helmet to the head was bad...I didn't watch in real-time, but I'm certain Norman played his part.

Norman was the first to act when he picked OB up and slammed him in the first quarter.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if it's his first offense then I don't think he

Norman was the first to act when he picked OB up and slammed him in the first quarter.

that's one version. I saw a guy go full speed and blast the corner with the ball carrier 8 yards away and going down....then pulled the WWE stuff to the ref when Norman threw him to the ground. Woulda been real sad if Norman drew the foul then.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tango? I saw self defense after the second time OB open fisted him under the face mask. That was by design and all cause he was embarrassed from dropping the TD pass

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's one version. I saw a guy go full speed and blast the corner with the ball carrier 8 yards away and going down....then pulled the WWE stuff to the ref when Norman threw him to the ground. Woulda been real sad if Norman drew the foul then.

That was 3rd quarter. This stuff went on at least 6 times

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look I've said it from my first post - OB was the worst of the two and haven't denied that, but Norman played his part as well

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tango? I saw self defense after the second time OB open fisted him under the face mask. That was by design and all cause he was embarrassed from dropping the TD pass
Look I've said it from my first post - OB was the worst of the two and haven't denied that, but Norman played his part as well
sure... self-defense

jaw-jacking ain't a good enough reason

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Beckham should be suspended for the year. The cheap shot he laid on Norman, which was intentional, could have easily broken his jaw. No place for BS like that

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you miss the bolded?

Jus sayin

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think OBJ should be fined and suspended, if it makes ya feel better.

Norman should prolly be fined too tho.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think when a WR takes punishment from the DBs on the field and the DB on the field is all up in his grill physically, the best way to combat that for a WR is to hit the DBs right back.

I like a WR that fights back, but of course you don't want to see anyone get hurt. Norman is a physical CB and Odell is definitely sending a message to DBs that if he can get hit, he's going to do some hittin of his own.

If you punish here, both should be punished.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't just fine them .......they're millionaires.......that won't do any good........suspend them without pay, if the CBA allows......

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Next question is, will the suspension stick or will Odell win the appeal?

CarlSr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question. As we've seen first hand, sometimes these suspensions mean nothing.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mara, gonna use his questionable Goodell picks as leverage again, just as he did in 2012.
Fuck Mara and the Giants.