• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Surprising Mariners fact

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading the Elias Sports Bureau entry for yesterday and the last fact they listed was Mariners related. Apparently the last two wins in the Houston series marked the first time in franchise history that the Mariners have won back-to-back one run games in which the opposing team scored at least 7 runs. That seems like something that would have happened at least once back in the late 90's when we had a high-powered offense but terrible pitching, doesn't it? At the very least, you'd think it would have happened at some point in the previous 37 years of this team's existence.

ESPN - Elias Says: Sports Statistics - Stats from the Elias Sports Bureau - ESPN

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, there's this from the day before:

Hisashi Iwakuma made his 50th start in the major leagues on Saturday, in which he has a 2.72 ERA. That's the lowest ERA for any active pitcher in his first 50 starts in the major leagues, and it's the third-lowest for any foreign-born pitcher in major-league history in his first 50 starts. The lower marks were by a pair of early-`80s Dodgers, Alejandro Pena (2.60) and Fernando Valenzuela (2.70).

AceKeptic

Free Agent from Elsewhere
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would also think that we would have sniffed a World Series by now too, but not so much.
:gaah:
Well, on the plus, we're only one of two left to even see a World Series, Washington being the other one.

Something's gotta give one of these years, right?

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would also think that we would have sniffed a World Series by now too, but not so much.
:gaah:

I know this is a different sport, but you know as well as I do that it took until their 30th season before the Seahawks finally reached the Super Bowl in 2005, preceded by a few "almosts" and plenty of "not even closes" and another 8 seasons before they won one. There were times when it didn't look like it would ever happen, but then it did and now we're talking about the opportunity for multiple titles in the immediate future and it's realistic talk. Obviously it became realistic only once the Seahawks hired people who gave enough of a damn about winning to make it happen and the Mariners haven't reached that point yet, but there was a time when nobody thought the Seahawks would reach that point either. I remember the 90's being a particularly depressing decade to be a Seahawks fan and it included the threat of a move on top of all the losing, which only made it more depressing. We've been through worse as fans than losing teams and apathetic ownership. It's not gonna be like this forever.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is a different sport, but you know as well as I do that it took until their 30th season before the Seahawks finally reached the Super Bowl in 2005, preceded by a few "almosts" and plenty of "not even closes" and another 8 seasons before they won one. There were times when it didn't look like it would ever happen, but then it did and now we're talking about the opportunity for multiple titles in the immediate future and it's realistic talk. Obviously it became realistic only once the Seahawks hired people who gave enough of a damn about winning to make it happen and the Mariners haven't reached that point yet, but there was a time when nobody thought the Seahawks would reach that point either. I remember the 90's being a particularly depressing decade to be a Seahawks fan and it included the threat of a move on top of all the losing, which only made it more depressing. We've been through worse as fans than losing teams and apathetic ownership. It's not gonna be like this forever.

You can't compare the Mariners to the Seahawks because they have two entirely different business models. The Seahawks try to generate revenue by putting a competitive product on the field. The results show: they have 17 winning seasons and 4 .500 seasons in their 38 years. The Mariners try to generate revenue by providing an entertaining product (even though it is not entertaining to fans who prefer a competitive product like most of us in here). The results of the 'entertainment' business model show as well: the Mariners have 11 winning seasons and 26 losing seasons.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't compare the Mariners to the Seahawks because they have two entirely different business models. The Seahawks try to generate revenue by putting a competitive product on the field. The results show: they have 17 winning seasons and 4 .500 seasons in their 38 years. The Mariners try to generate revenue by providing an entertaining product (even though it is not entertaining to fans who prefer a competitive product like most of us in here). The results of the 'entertainment' business model show as well: the Mariners have 11 winning seasons and 26 losing seasons.

And the NFLPA have a tenth of the power the MLBPA has so the NFL thrives on parody as opposed to baseball where there are like what 8 teams that a player can cash in big. The Cowboys have no more money than Packers but the Yankees have what 3 times the payroll of the Brewers

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I did mention that they were different sports and I also mentioned that the Seahawks weren't in a position to win multiple championships like they are now until they hired people that gave a damn about winning championships. My point was that when the Seahawks were terrible in the 90's and didn't seem to care that they were terrible (or worse... wanted to be terrible to be able to move to LA), there weren't many people who thought they'd ever win a championship, let alone have a shot at multiple championships in a short period of time. If this was 20 years ago, we'd be having this same conversation about the Seahawks because there was a time, almost an entire decade in fact, when the Seahawks weren't always interested in putting the most competitive team out there on the field.