• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Superman: Man of Steel (2013)

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
did a search and didn't find anything (if there is one, i guess this will introduce the noobs to badmin)

just saw it on monday

zach snyder sucks, the action was all turned up to eleven and got really tiresome

hate to say that about an action flick but it's true

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
King_Creole_LesMiles.gif

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. End of the world sounds like dubstep (JunkieXL is even in the sounds credits)
2. Lois Lane can survive Arctic temperatures at night for some reason
3. Superman totally doesn't care about killing things. But its in Kansas and NY so I guess thats ok for some reason

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I haven't seen the movie yet assholes and I lack the forbearance to not click on this thread because it will probably provide spoilers.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up watching the original Superman and Superman II...the latter of which I still enjoy to this day. The first one, really, was pretty lame. Originally, I and II were just going to be one massive movie. Other than II, there were no good Superman movies.

I think Man of Steel was excellent as an action film and as a reboot. It's easier to reboot a human superhero like Batman than Superman, which also happens to be a sci-fi film since he's an alien and all.

This film worked well. Can't wait to see how Lex Luthor factors in with the upcoming films.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched it last week and thought it was great. It's gotta be hard to make a good Superman film these days with the gritty Batman trio showing how a non-goofy superhero film should be done. Man of Steel got that though. At least enough of it to fit Superman since he's much less dark than Batman in the first place. They really seemed to put an emphasis on the amount of destruction 4 people can have on an entire city fighting hand to hand. I think that's going to play into the next film, maybe requiring Batman to come in and stop this new alien from destroying the rest of Metropolis.

Can't wait for Batman vs Superman for the sequel. I'm hoping Ben Afleck pulls off Batman as well as Christian Bale did. Apart from the raspy voice at times, Bale was a great Batman.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Bryan Cranston as LL is a stroke of genius casting. I can't wait to see that.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man of steel was not a bad movie... But the flaws were a little hard to look past...

***SPOILER** Superman snapping Zod's neck at the end was just the most non superman act... He only killed one person in the comics and that is lex luthor and that was on a different DC world... and that killing turned the Justice league evil...

I actually did not mind that lois found out Clark was superman by herself- she is known as a great reporter, it was kind of believable... The problem was that they could have done better with the Superman movie... they could of been more true to the comics... then again the Christian Bale Batman movies(especially the 3rd) was not true at all to the comics...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man of steel was not a bad movie... But the flaws were a little hard to look past...

***SPOILER** Superman snapping Zod's neck at the end was just the most non superman act... He only killed one person in the comics and that is lex luthor and that was on a different DC world... and that killing turned the Justice league evil...

Zod said he would never stop trying to kill every human being on earth, and even said "never" when Clark had him in the death grasp and asked him to not kill the human family in front of him. He had to choose between killing the very last Kryptonian in the universe besides himself, and the people of his new planet, which he spent the entire movie trying to get to accept him.

It all culminated in that moment pretty well, IMO. I might feel the same as you if Zod weren't trying to murder 7 billion people.

I like comics fine, but I'm glad for the trend of sci fi/superhero films of the past decade or so going for a more modern and adult context.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zod said he would never stop trying to kill every human being on earth, and even said "never" when Clark had him in the death grasp and asked him to not kill the human family in front of him. He had to choose between killing the very last Kryptonian in the universe besides himself, and the people of his new planet, which he spent the entire movie trying to get to accept him.

It all culminated in that moment pretty well, IMO. I might feel the same as you if Zod weren't trying to murder 7 billion people.

I like comics fine, but I'm glad for the trend of sci fi/superhero films of the past decade or so going for a more modern and adult context.

I agree modern adult is good and fun for this movies... But dont go away from the character... Superman, just like batman, would never kill... it is in their code... they find other ways to deal with their problems... we are talking about a movie that could have written in a plausible way to win... like for example sending zod and his followers back into the phantom zone... Dark is good, but we have to remember who the character is...

People who read books and then watch movies- generally their major complaint is that the movie changes things unneccessarily... now when you do that to a character that is beloved by all, it is a crime...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm betting a lot of people are of your mind about this, so now I understand better.

If reviews had said how faithful it was to the comic book, I would never have bothered renting it.

Really hoping Justice League, if it ever happens, is the same when it comes to taking liberties with characters/stories from comics.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm betting a lot of people are of your mind about this, so now I understand better.

If reviews had said how faithful it was to the comic book, I would never have bothered renting it.

Really hoping Justice League, if it ever happens, is the same when it comes to taking liberties with characters/stories from comics.

The comics themselves are actually very dark... In fact they are darker than these recent movies...

The animated DC films have been darker than any of the DC live action movies, and of course they have been true to the comics(since they are based entirely on the comics-minimal changes in some)

Taking liberties is fine but dont totally change the character...

Dont get me wrong, i liked the movie a lot... i just think if you are going to use a beloved character, you should not change his ideals!!!

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's how I see it

Man of Steel has its flaws, but I like the direction that Snyder/Goyer are trying to go with it. And I definitely appreciate their efforts to attempt make the film "great" even though it falls short of it

I'll be the first to tell anyone how much I enjoy watching the Marvel films...but one thing about those films are they always stick with the same safe formula and only settle for a good and entertaining movie.

And there's nothing wrong with a good and entertaining movie...it's just after a while that formula becomes boring and predictable. I have mad respects for DC because they always attempt to make a great film (Watchmen, The Dark Knight Trilogy, Man of Steel) even if they aren't always successful

Man of Steel had the makings of a great origin story, spectacular action set pieces...but the execution just wasn't there like Nolan's batman films were

- The dialogue and script by Goyer without the help of Chris and Jonathan Nolan was very simple and corny at times and lacked the level of complexity that we're used to in a DC movie

- The villain was a let down. Michael Shannon wasn't bad as Zod...but I was expecting a signature performance from him

- Action sequences were great to watch but it was a bit overdone and not enough build up

I have high hopes for Batman vs Superman though. Can't wait to see who they announce as the villains and if Nightwing and Wonder Woman will make an appearance

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never able to get into superman from christopher reeve, then the next superman was announced and it looked just like christopher reeve, so I never gave it much chance.

jonvi

La Familia Ohana
Hoopla Cash
$ 29,463.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the special effects. But I didn't like that it was the same story.

Same with the last Spiderman.

Go the Star Trek route and redo things. Or like XMen.

I already knew where Superman came from and that his dad and mom packed him up and sent him here.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was never able to get into superman from christopher reeve, then the next superman was announced and it looked just like christopher reeve, so I never gave it much chance.

What did you think of Henry Cavel's obvious resemblance to Tom Welling?

Johnnydollaz89

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,976.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched it last night and I'm not a Superman fan at all, but thought it was really good.