• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Official Off-Season Thread of 2016

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the new PG they got from the Euroleague? The hoops guy on 92.9 seemed to think he can play.

Malcolm Delaney. Never heard of him, honestly. I don't think he's ever played in the NBA; just internationally. I read on the ESPN article I saw about us signing him that he 16.5 points and 5.5 assists in 31 games in the Euroleague. How well he converts to the NBA remains to be seen.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Malcolm Delaney. Never heard of him, honestly. I don't think he's ever played in the NBA; just internationally. I read on the ESPN article I saw about us signing him that he 16.5 points and 5.5 assists in 31 games in the Euroleague. How well he converts to the NBA remains to be seen.

Ok...never heard of him either...I guess we have a few months to sort it out.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just got Jarrett Jack for the veteran minimum. That's an excellent signing. He'll make for a very solid at back-up for Dennis. Next, we'll probably go after a third-string point guard. Maybe we'll just re-sign Hinrich. I'm still hoping we can move Splitter and re-sign Humphries because I prefer Humphries.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horford: No problem with Hawks fans or Dwight

Drama on the way out for Al?

Back issues I understand for Jack...hopefully he can regain enough to be the every game back up...that would be big.

Heard the interview with Bazemore last week...sounds like he may be playing some 2, and they seem to think Prince will get some floor time as the 3. We'll have to see how that works work.

Splitter is not a bad player if healthy. For the amount of minutes I expect the back up to play I could go either way, but I too shade more towards Humphries.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Humhries will be significantly cheaper, so that's why I favor him. Plus, I love the hustle and effort he shows.

Demonjoe93

The Hawks make me emo
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeMar Patterson has been waived and the Hawks have re-signed Humphries.

I'm really liking our bench so far. The Jarrett Jack signing was excellent. I was not expecting to get a good back-up like him for the veteran minimum. This means we don't even need to trade Splitter. Our bench is looking very deep this year.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LeMar Patterson has been waived and the Hawks have re-signed Humphries.

I'm really liking our bench so far. The Jarrett Jack signing was excellent. I was not expecting to get a good back-up like him for the veteran minimum. This means we don't even need to trade Splitter. Our bench is looking very deep this year.

IDK what plan A was outside of Howard, but if this is plan B...helluva job. Gotta get Jack healthy, but if Prince has anything to give them this year and it sounds like they think he does...they got better.

Really hope they squash BOS.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it funny how a lot of experts suddenly see the Celtics as a Top 3 team in the East just because they got Horford. I think Al is a great player but good enough to elevate a team like that? I have my doubts.

I also don't think the Celtics could beat the Hawks in a 7 game series with everyone healthy as things are right now. I still don't get the decision for Al to leave. He took less money to join a team with similar roster issues. A lot of good players but lacking the superstar that can carry them past LeBron in the East. Al isn't carrying the Celtics past that point anymore than he carried the Hakws. So clearly he didn't leave to win a title. He would have signed with OKC if that was the case.

He would have made a lot more money with Atlanta and had an extra year guaranteed on his contract. Again can't really see the logic in leaving so much guaranteed money on the table. The cost of living in Boston is so much higher than Atlanta as well so he'll lose out there as well. The best thing he can hope for is the Celtics turn some of these young players and future draft picks into another star player. I just don't know that it happens while Horford is still at the top of his game.

After the Hawks signed Howard it was setup to be a perfect opportunity for Al to play more PF and do what he does best by spacing the floor as the pick man and knocking down midrange jumpers while Howard draw defenders toward the baskets and contends for offensive rebounds. Al would have been able to save some wear on his body playing next to Howard. Instead he bolts to continue being an out of place Center who will no longer have the benefit of Millsap beside him.

I think Horford is in for a rough year and will be regretting his decision by All-Star break. Meanwhile I think Howard made a great decision and will see his numbers go back up playing within the Hawks offense.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still don't get the decision for Al to leave. He took less money to join a team with similar roster issues.

He would have made a lot more money with Atlanta and had an extra year guaranteed on his contract.

After the Hawks signed Howard it was setup to be a perfect opportunity for Al to play more PF and do what he does best by spacing the floor as the pick man and knocking down midrange jumpers while Howard draw defenders toward the baskets and contends for offensive rebounds. Al would have been able to save some wear on his body playing next to Howard.

I think you unearthed the reason. Apparently the boiling point for Al was the Hawks did not want to give him the max deal including the extra yr. If I understand the negotiations, it was never on the table and that's when Horford's name started to float around to LAL, BOS, etc. So...for basically the same money he would've gotten from ATL, he took it from BOS instead.

Howard, Horford, and Milsap...who plays the 3 spot? Milsap has a little more off the dribble game than Al, but he's not a legit 3, he's a smallish 4 really. Horford is a 4/smallish 5.

I think Bazemore is a 3 and I understand he might play some 2...the hope is the kid Prince can give them something early at the 3 spot...if he can, imo the Hawks can be a better team than LY.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports had us offering the 5th year and close to max as a final offer. Supposedly big reason he left is he felt offended it took so long into the process for the 5th year to be added and he already had leaving on his mind by then. If that offer had come earlier in the week he'd still be a Hawk.

but can't blame the Hawks for doing good business. I personally think Horford is overpaid and could end up hurting Boston on the back half of that contract. I wanted to see him stay but also didn't want us to end up in a Joe Johnson situation again.