• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Superbowl 50: Carolina Panthers vs Denver Broncos 630 EST CBS

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof positive that you could win a Super Bowl with a bad QB (if Dilfer, Flacco, and Eli weren't enough proof). I'm feeling very positive as a Niner fan right now.

Yes but unfortunately, all the Niners good defenders retired after last season, save Bowman, and Chip Kelly's not exactly a defensive mastermind. Although, stranger things have happened.

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning finally had a team carry him for a change. Given how Peyton's been the one to carry his team quite a few times in his career he finally had a team where he didn't have to do it all. It was no longer on his shoulders to get things done. I'm sure he is enjoying the reversal of fortune.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes but unfortunately, all the Niners good defenders retired after last season, save Bowman, and Chip Kelly's not exactly a defensive mastermind. Although, stranger things have happened.

LOL. Maybe some of them will come back now that we have a real NFL head coach.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton Manning finally had a team carry him for a change. Given how Peyton's been the one to carry his team quite a few times in his career he finally had a team where he didn't have to do it all. It was no longer on his shoulders to get things done. I'm sure he is enjoying the reversal of fortune.

Great game planning by Denver's coaching staff. There were many times where you could tell that they weren't going to chance it by having Manning throw. Handoffs on third and long. I'm guessing that 23 pass attempts is a career low for him in a postseason game.

TheRangerDude

(Dude/Dudeim)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how that first challenge call isn't the major story. I don't know how anyone could see that and pretend that the Super Bowl isn't WWE-style rigged. The ball didn't even come close to touching the ground. If you change that call, Carolina isn't pressing on their turnovers and likely wins.

Nonsense, it hit the ground which caused it to move around a bit. Pretty much the same thing happened to Dez Bryant last year in the playoffs vs. the packers in a much more crucial situation. It's a stupid rule but its the rule - ground can't cause you to loose possession. It's even further nonsense to conclude the Panthers win should that one play go their way. And yet further nonesense to suggest the call on this one play shows the NFL is rigged like the WWE. I have news for ya, in the WWE, the refs are not the only ones in on it. If it was "WWE style rigged"... dude would have just clearly dropped the ball. Come on' man!

NinersFan80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver D won this game plain and simple. The Denver offense was pathetic. Less than 200 yards of offense. Denver would not have scored a TD in this game if it weren't for this great D. It's kind of a shame that they couldn't give the MVP to the entire defense.

I mean 265 yards of passing and over 118 yards rushing really isn't that great of a performance. The INT they got was because of a dropped passes, Tolbert's lost fumble was his fault, they got a lot of pressure and their forced fumbles on Cam were good but I don't think the performance was great, it was good but not great.

But yes, their defense won the game with some help of the Panthers idiotic play

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean 265 yards of passing and over 118 yards rushing really isn't that great of a performance. The INT they got was because of a dropped passes, Tolbert's lost fumble was his fault, they got a lot of pressure and their forced fumbles on Cam were good but I don't think the performance was great, it was good but not great.

But yes, their defense won the game with some help of the Panthers idiotic play

It's great when you consider that the Denver offense couldn't move the ball. The Denver D was the one controlling field position and their D actually contributed a lot more to their scoring than the Denver O. The Panthers offense ran 75 plays, while Denver only had 56 plays, so the Panthers were going to gain some yards from having nearly 20 more plays. You also have to deduct the yards that Carolina lost on sacks from the totals you mentioned and each turnover is worth many, many yards of field position.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Proof positive that you could win a Super Bowl with a bad QB (if Dilfer, Flacco, and Eli weren't enough proof). I'm feeling very positive as a Niner fan right now.
You can but you need the best defense in the league, at least an average run game and a decent special teams unit.

Not easy.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of the reason Denver's offense put up so few numbers, beyond Peyton playing bad & Carolina's defense playing well, is that Denver went into 4 corners mode early in the game. Lots of running the ball on 1st & 3rd downs. They took the lead & just wanted to keep that clock moving. For an offense that only ran 56 plays & had multiple short fields to drive for scores, they were pretty close with Carolina in time of possession.

They basically didn't want to make mistakes that resulted in short fields for Carolina & wanted to make them drive the length of the field for points.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do people realize Peyton Manning sucked too? Threw an INT, had a FF. Broncos had 12 straight failed 3rd downs!!! Super Bowl record. Cam got absolutely no help on offense and had to do everything himself. Dropped back over 45 times, ran the ball 6 times, had to deal with his receivers dropping key passes (one that led to an INT at the 10 or so yard line and another that would have put them inside of the 10), got blindsided a few times including the fumble for a TD when the RT got manhandled. Not to mention the kicker left 3 points on the board and the punt team let the Broncos returner go free to get them in the red zone for another 3 points. Between Ted Ginn, Gano, and the dude who decided not to tackle Norwood that lead to at the very least a 9 point swing.
Yes, Cam made some big mistakes like holding on to the ball too long, overthrowing his receivers a few times and fumbling the ball but I don't think he lost the Panthers the game at all.

That's a pretty good game summary. Nicely done.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Denver and New England were probably the two best teams this year.

Carolina and KC were really good due to forcing turnovers but thats not something they were able to sustain.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nonsense, it hit the ground which caused it to move around a bit. Pretty much the same thing happened to Dez Bryant last year in the playoffs vs. the packers in a much more crucial situation. It's a stupid rule but its the rule - ground can't cause you to loose possession. It's even further nonsense to conclude the Panthers win should that one play go their way. And yet further nonesense to suggest the call on this one play shows the NFL is rigged like the WWE. I have news for ya, in the WWE, the refs are not the only ones in on it. If it was "WWE style rigged"... dude would have just clearly dropped the ball. Come on' man!

You're blind. The ball NEVER touched the ground.

Dean Blandino got lit up on Twitter for lying about that shit.

Not that Carolina would've won.

And frankly Im' ok with them missing that in real time. But to miss it with slow mo instand replay is 100% inexcuseable.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant' turn the ball over 3 times, have 8 or 9 drops (the REAL number, anyone who says it was only 4 is either blind or flat out retarded), and numerous stupid penalties and mental mistakes (like the punt return gaffe) and expect to win.

You expecially can't expect to it against one of the best 3 defenses ever since 1989 and better than that record setting 2000 Ravens defense (per DVOA).

You also can't single up Von Miller all night with average OTs and expect to come out ahead, or lead DeMarcus Ware go unblocked on multiple occasions.

But let's never hear about poor brady and his weapons. They can at least catch the ball.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're blind. The ball NEVER touched the ground.
I had it under the inconclusive category. The first time he landed on the ground, he had his hand underneath the ball but as he rolled over, the ball was rotating in a way that indicated that the ground caused the ball to move. The only way for it to be a catch is if he hand is 100% under the ball and I didnt see an angle that proved it.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had it under the inconclusive category. The first time he landed on the ground, he had his hand underneath the ball but as he rolled over, the ball was rotating in a way that indicated that the ground caused the ball to move. The only way for it to be a catch is if he hand is 100% under the ball and I didnt see an angle that proved it.

They showed an angle on the screen after he rolled over. The ball clearly never touched. They even said it on air.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They showed an angle on the screen after he rolled over. The ball clearly never touched. They even said it on air.
Said it on air? Never listen to the announcers on replays. I watched it. Pretty much everyone in the room had the same conclusion.