• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suns Sign Tyson Chandler

LeChuck421

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract seems a little higher than I would have preferred, given his age, but he's still good and I hope he will be that veteran leader we've been really lacking.

How do you think minutes get split between him and Len?

Jonas_steven

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a little expensive but that is today's nba. I would love to see them lure Aldridge but that is likely a pipe dream. Overall, I am okay with this move.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chandler is an elite rebounder. So that's good. Still on the downside of his career though. Aldridge is not coming to Phoebix so don't get your hopes up.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only like this signing if it leads to LA also signing with the team. Otherwise it's a waste. Wright could have been had at half the price & is a lot younger. Chandler is soon to be 34 years old with a history of back issues, I can see this not ending well if we strike out with LA.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I retract my earlier post about Aldridge although I still feel the Spurs land him.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phoenix appears to be having a really good off-season so far. If they land Aldridge they will instantly jump to top 4 in the West, especially with that young talent.

Suns7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OOOOO yeah. Freeing up cap Space. Dumping that money.

Suns7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suns are going for it. If they get Aldridge, they will look great (for once) and the FO will appear competent. If not, it's going to be a disaster. They would have then spent far too much for Tyson Chandler and traded Morris & Co for nothing (only makes sense to clear space for LMA).

SpartyNash13

Spartan Dawg
Hoopla Cash
$ 963.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn I am going to be ecstatic about this team for the first time in years if we land Aldridge. Big if though. Either way I like dumping these contracts and I hope Chandler will be a good mentor for Len.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now Aldridge is going to have a second meeting with the Lakers. Wasn't the first one bad enough? Cmon dude

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only like this signing if it leads to LA also signing with the team. Otherwise it's a waste. Wright could have been had at half the price & is a lot younger. Chandler is soon to be 34 years old with a history of back issues, I can see this not ending well if we strike out with LA.

Chandler will turn thirty-three in October, but I am skeptical of the contract unless it somehow nets Aldridge as well.

Chandler actually checks a lot of boxes for the Suns—defense, rebounding, pick-and-roll play, experience, knowledge, leadership, discipline, efficiency—so in that sense he represents an attractive pickup. But at this money, and with his mileage and history of injuries, the contract may be at least one year too long, possibly two.

Last edited:

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chandler is an elite rebounder. So that's good. Still on the downside of his career though. Aldridge is not coming to Phoebix so don't get your hopes up.

The only way that the Suns will make the playoffs is by being a hardcore running team—Bledsoe and Knight are not efficient enough in a half-court setting, and T.J. Warren is a runner all the way. Archie Goodwin also is best in a running game, and a rim protector and rebounder such as Chandler will help ignite the break.

The risk is the length of the contract, but Phoenix may be able to move it after two years. By then, hopefully Len will constitute more of a polished product.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predictably, Aldridge joined San Antonio; as I wrote in another thread a few weeks ago, I would have focused on Greg Monroe.

In any event, the Suns still need to sign a veteran shooter, preferably one who functions effectively in an uptempo game (but, no, not J.R. Smith).

Would anyone advocate offering Markieff Morris for David Lee? Lee is worse defensively, but his contract comes off the books in a year and the Suns would not need to worry about Morris' criminal proceedings.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract seems a little higher than I would have preferred, given his age, but he's still good and I hope he will be that veteran leader we've been really lacking.

How do you think minutes get split between him and Len?

I'll guess somewhere between 25.0-26.0 for Chandler and 22.0-23.0 for Len, if only because Len averaged 22.0 minutes last season and I don't think that the Suns want to see him go backwards. Chandler has averaged over 30.0 minutes in each of the last four years, but he will turn thirty-three before the season starts and Phoenix will want to keep him fresh. So realistically, Chandler will probably play 25.0-30.0 minutes per game this year, with Len taking the rest. They cannot play simultaneously.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've now overpaid for Chandler. LMA would have changed the game.

Suns are still a Tier II team on the free agent market. They will get meetings, but despite having talent that should lure the best players, they are going to miss out on the Lebrons and Aldridges of the world. Some players want to win and the Suns don't exactly have a rich recent tradition of that. Tyson Chandler is probably their ceiling.

fordman84

@Fordman84_Tx
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,484.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry y'all didn't get LMA. I would actually rather have Tyson and his contract you gave him than DeAndre and the one we gave him.

Tyson is a stud, a true locker room leader, and even without adding anyone else he alone can motivate a couple more wins out of your team. Great signing by PHX.

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've now overpaid for Chandler. LMA would have changed the game.

Suns are still a Tier II team on the free agent market. They will get meetings, but despite having talent that should lure the best players, they are going to miss out on the Lebrons and Aldridges of the world. Some players want to win and the Suns don't exactly have a rich recent tradition of that. Tyson Chandler is probably their ceiling.

Even there, I don't know that Bledsoe, Knight, Chandler, and Morris are that attractive to top-tier free agents. A second-tier free agent such as Monroe may have been interested ...

GMATCa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry y'all didn't get LMA. I would actually rather have Tyson and his contract you gave him than DeAndre and the one we gave him.

Tyson is a stud, a true locker room leader, and even without adding anyone else he alone can motivate a couple more wins out of your team. Great signing by PHX.

The problem is that Phoenix is quite a few wins away. But Chandler will help, and the Suns could probably offload the final two years of his deal if they so desire.

But Jordan is six years younger than Chandler, so although all this "next Shaq" stuff represents ridiculous publicity, Dallas is probably in better shape at center, even with the larger contract. After all, the salary cap is going to be rising ...