• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Summer of 2016

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These 2nd tier FA's that some of you are so high on so that we can be a freakin' 6 seed and exit the playoffs in the 1st round, are generally signing contracts longer than 2 years.

So we get to be average, barely make the playoffs and be a 1st round exit for the foreseeable future because we ate up cap space signing 2nd tier FA's. What a great plan.

Additionally, no one knows if next years FA's will re-sign with their team or not. Maybe they will, may be not. The Lakers don't have draft picks. Any draft picks they get through trades will likely be along the lines of what they just got from Houston. You're not drafting a superstar to build around with picks that are that late.

They don't have picks and any they can get more will not net much more than a solid role player (in other words, those "2nd tier" guys). The Lakers have no choice but to re-build the way they always have....acquisitions.

Your last two paragraphs answer your first two paragraphs and that's exactly my point. LA doesn't build through the draft nor does it even have the picks to do so if they wanted to. So there is no point in bringing back a poor roster. Why stink if there's no benefit (a high draft pick like this past year)? They could sign guys now that won't tie up the cap whether its two years or not. At the very least, you have assets. Guys that can be traded even if its just for a salary dump to clear space at a later date. That's what I wanted LA to do this summer. Go for Lebron/Melo in plan A and then plan B was to sign 2nd tier guys that could keep you competitive and maybe you can package them in a multi-team trade for a guy like Love or Rondo down the road (because neither are hitting FA). But we have no assets. Just a bunch of dudes on 1 year deals that won't generate a lot of interest to make a bigger acquisition happen.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your last two paragraphs answer your first two paragraphs and that's exactly my point. LA doesn't build through the draft nor does it even have the picks to do so if they wanted to. So there is no point in bringing back a poor roster. Why stink if there's no benefit (a high draft pick like this past year)? They could sign guys now that won't tie up the cap whether its two years or not. At the very least, you have assets. Guys that can be traded even if its just for a salary dump to clear space at a later date. That's what I wanted LA to do this summer. Go for Lebron/Melo in plan A and then plan B was to sign 2nd tier guys that could keep you competitive and maybe you can package them in a multi-team trade for a guy like Love or Rondo down the road (because neither are hitting FA). But we have no assets. Just a bunch of dudes on 1 year deals that won't generate a lot of interest to make a bigger acquisition happen.

Who are those 2nd tier guys that we could've got that make us good enough to not to get ousted round 1 of the playoffs?

Personally, yeah, it's always a goal to make the playoffs, but is it really that much better getting to the playoffs and getting beat/swept in round 1? Because even if we did get Carmelo, are we a sure fire deep playoff team?? And that's part of Plan A.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who are those 2nd tier guys that we could've got that make us good enough to not to get ousted round 1 of the playoffs?

Personally, yeah, it's always a goal to make the playoffs, but is it really that much better getting to the playoffs and getting beat/swept in round 1? Because even if we did get Carmelo, are we a sure fire deep playoff team?? And that's part of Plan A.

The absolute worst thing to be in the NBA is a 6-10 seed. You're not good enough to win any titles or even advance very far in the playoffs, you're not bad enough to get any high draft picks and you likely don't have the cap space to sign a significant FA.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The absolute worst thing to be in the NBA is a 6-10 seed. You're not good enough to win any titles or even advance very far in the playoffs, you're not bad enough to get any high draft picks and you likely don't have the cap space to sign a significant FA.

We were the 2nd worst team in the West and only got the 7th pick. There's absolutely no point in "tanking" this year because our first rounder goes to Phoenix.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We were the 2nd worst team in the West and only got the 7th pick. There's absolutely no point in "tanking" this year because our first rounder goes to Phoenix.

Isn't it top 5 protected?

My point earlier was that there were a TON of different things the Lakers could've done this summer. Some things didn't work out. As some have said, if Jeannie is taking more of a lead in this team, maybe she'll let Mitch do his job instead of her knucklehead brother. Then things can get back to normal.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My point earlier was that there were a TON of different things the Lakers could've done this summer. Some things didn't work out. As some have said, if Jeannie is taking more of a lead in this team, maybe she'll let Mitch do his job instead of her knucklehead brother. Then things can get back to normal.

Yes. Tanking may not be the worst thing for the Lakers (although, if Kobe's healthy, it won't happen) because that pick is top 5 protected.

I don't know about a ton of things that they could have done. Lebron and 'Melo were the only 2 FA's that could have gotten this team back to where we all expect them to be and I'm not sold on 'Melo being able to.

After that, it was 2nd tier guys who would have needed 4 year, higher dollar contracts and would put the Lakers in that dreaded 6-10 seed purgatory if Kobe's healthy while eating cap space. Considering the fact that Lebron was never coming and 'Melo was unlikely, I think they've done a solid job.

Sure, they got a little greedy in wanting 2 draft picks in the sign and trade for Gasol. But considering where the picks are likely to be, it's not much of a loss. Pau was actually the one who lost out because he could have gotten more money with the S&T.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. Tanking may not be the worst thing for the Lakers (although, if Kobe's healthy, it won't happen) because that pick is top 5 protected.

I don't know about a ton of things that they could have done. Lebron and 'Melo were the only 2 FA's that could have gotten this team back to where we all expect them to be and I'm not sold on 'Melo being able to.

After that, it was 2nd tier guys who would have needed 4 year, higher dollar contracts and would put the Lakers in that dreaded 6-10 seed purgatory if Kobe's healthy while eating cap space. Considering the fact that Lebron was never coming and 'Melo was unlikely, I think they've done a solid job.

Sure, they got a little greedy in wanting 2 draft picks in the sign and trade for Gasol. But considering where the picks are likely to be, it's not much of a loss. Pau was actually the one who lost out because he could have gotten more money with the S&T.

:10::agree:

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, it is better for us. From an organization stand point, it gets them more money. And for fans, you can actually watch Lakers games without having your eyes bleed

True...but only to an extent. It's not like we're the 00s Hawks. It's a one year, two year max window we're talking here. When you don't have a draft pick anyway, there's no reason to not go for it.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it is better for us. From an organization stand point, it gets them more money. And for fans, you can actually watch Lakers games without having your eyes bleed

I see your point, but how is getting swept in the 1st round fun to watch?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

True...but only to an extent. It's not like we're the 00s Hawks. It's a one year, two year max window we're talking here. When you don't have a draft pick anyway, there's no reason to not go for it.

A one year/two year max window for what? The Lakers are saving cap space to go after top FA's over the next 2 seasons. Using up cap space to get 2-3 second tier guys, prevents getting the type of player that you build a contender around.

If the Lakers had used cap space to get 2nd tier guys and didn't have the cap space to sign any top FA's over the next couple of seasons, everyone would be bitching about how they wasted cap space to be an average team.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A one year/two year max window for what? The Lakers are saving cap space to go after top FA's over the next 2 seasons. Using up cap space to get 2-3 second tier guys, prevents getting the type of player that you build a contender around.

If the Lakers had used cap space to get 2nd tier guys and didn't have the cap space to sign any top FA's over the next couple of seasons, everyone would be bitching about how they wasted cap space to be an average team.

Name these so called top free agents in the next two years that will be coming to the Lakers? Why would they come here? Kobe will be old and if we are still losing in the next year or two, how is that going to attract free agents?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name these so called top free agents in the next two years that will be coming to the Lakers? Why would they come here? Kobe will be old and if we are still losing in the next year or two, how is that going to attract free agents?

They're building pieces. If Randle and Clarkson work out and Kobe shows he can still play, there's some attractive pieces. Would other free agents really be clamoring to play with the likes of Gortat and Deng? I don't see it.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They're building pieces. If Randle and Clarkson work out and Kobe shows he can still play, there's some attractive pieces. Would other free agents really be clamoring to play with the likes of Gortat and Deng? I don't see it.

I hope we have a good team in the next two years. The way things are now, Tanking this season does not seem like a bad idea. We would have a top five pick and another number one pick (Rockets), grab a couple of free agents to enhance the roster and 2015 might have a good Laker playoff team.

Last edited by a moderator:

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we have a good team in the next two years. The way things are now, Tanking this season does not seem like a bad idea. We would have a top five pick and another number one pick (Rockets), grab a couple of free agents to enhance the roster and 2015 might have a good Laker playoff team.

with Andrew wiggins and parker...they were projected top picks when they were in high school....I haven't heard anything about the upcoming classes yet.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the problem its top 5 protected. We had the worst season in the history of our franchise and only got the 7th pick last year.

With D'Antoni gone and Kobe back healthy, what are the odds of us doing even WORSE this year?

lakersrule

ANUSTART
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the problem its top 5 protected. We had the worst season in the history of our franchise and only got the 7th pick last year.

With D'Antoni gone and Kobe back healthy, what are the odds of us doing even WORSE this year?

Unlikely unless there's a rash of injuries again.

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I never claimed we'd be worse. What I was referring to, was life in Lakerland isn't nearly as bad as some seem to think.

A lot of gloom and doom around here. I'm not ready to pack it in, I think Mitch does have some things in mind. If Jeannie becomes more involved, I'll trust that he gets it back to normal.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll do just fine next season. We're not going to be half as bad as most people believe we will be.

I'm looking forward to it; they'll be a fun team to watch and root for.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gee, I don't know. How do other teams that have gone through losing seasons and don't have the resources that that Lakers do land them?

It's called money. The Lakers will have plenty of it and can get FA's to come to L.A. together.

Here's a question for you. Where are all of these draft picks that you want the Lakers to use so that they can "build through the draft"?

Also, if the rumors that Byron Scott is going to be the next coach are true. There are plenty of FA's that wouldn't mind playing for him.

Last edited by a moderator: