• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Summer of 2016

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not believe that we should stop chasing superstar free agents. We can still find people in the draft/finding people in the summer league or whatever WHILE going after a big name. Going after Lebron/Melo didn't hurt us in any way. Like I said at the time, all of our potential tragets was still on the board. What I thought we should of done was put together some big money 2 year deals. We could of competed and been ready for 2016...however they put more stock into 2015 than I do. Going after superstars, is just the Laker way. Sure we've drafted guys and they became legends, but the big trade is our thing and it's not going away. I don't see why we HAVE to just draft, or just trade when we can do both. Well we don't have too many draft picks due to the Howard/Nash trade, but you can't find me one person that said they hated that trade at the time. NOW, had they just hired Phil as either the coach or in the front office, we would of retained Dwight and would of been the front runner to land Melo or maybe even Lebron....THEN that trade would of looked alot better than it does now. As for Kobe's final years, the soundbites are gonna be great, and we'll get to see how high he can climb on the scoring list. I don't see him asking for a trade because I really think that he wants to end his career in a Laker jersey. I do see him being Kobe behind a mic however

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not believe that we should stop chasing superstar free agents. We can still find people in the draft/finding people in the summer league or whatever WHILE going after a big name. Going after Lebron/Melo didn't hurt us in any way. Like I said at the time, all of our potential tragets was still on the board. What I thought we should of done was put together some big money 2 year deals. We could of competed and been ready for 2016...however they put more stock into 2015 than I do. Going after superstars, is just the Laker way. Sure we've drafted guys and they became legends, but the big trade is our thing and it's not going away. I don't see why we HAVE to just draft, or just trade when we can do both. Well we don't have too many draft picks due to the Howard/Nash trade, but you can't find me one person that said they hated that trade at the time. NOW, had they just hired Phil as either the coach or in the front office, we would of retained Dwight and would of been the front runner to land Melo or maybe even Lebron....THEN that trade would of looked alot better than it does now. As for Kobe's final years, the soundbites are gonna be great, and we'll get to see how high he can climb on the scoring list. I don't see him asking for a trade because I really think that he wants to end his career in a Laker jersey. I do see him being Kobe behind a mic however

was thinking he'd more likely wind up coaching in some form, but a mic wouldn't be bad for Kobe either...

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lebron was never coming here. I agree, but although we wanted Nash, most people at the time were upset with giving up so much for him.It was way too much. That alone has been a huge contribution to our current situation. The draft is the best way to go.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree. The Lakers did what they had to do re: going after Lebron and 'Melo. As I've stated before, the Lakers are the most star driven team, in a star driven league.

They swung for the fences, as they should, it just didn't work. The moves they have made have been pretty much exactly what they should have been once it was final that neither Lebron or 'Melo were coming to L.A. They are putting together a roster of young guys, who should be fun to watch, on deals that maintain cap flexibility over the next couple of FA classes. They even managed to get a 1st round pick for next season.

As for Kobe, no doubt that he'll get frustrated as, even with him healthy, this team will likely settle in around .500 and there will likely be some pointed quotes from him as the season moves on. But, as he said, the FO gave it their best effort and that's all he can ask.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You all know my thoughts on this so, I'll refrain from beating you over the head with it.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. The Lakers did what they had to do re: going after Lebron and 'Melo. As I've stated before, the Lakers are the most star driven team, in a star driven league.

They swung for the fences, as they should, it just didn't work. The moves they have made have been pretty much exactly what they should have been once it was final that neither Lebron or 'Melo were coming to L.A. They are putting together a roster of young guys, who should be fun to watch, on deals that maintain cap flexibility over the next couple of FA classes. They even managed to get a 1st round pick for next season.

As for Kobe, no doubt that he'll get frustrated as, even with him healthy, this team will likely settle in around .500 and there will likely be some pointed quotes from him as the season moves on. But, as he said, the FO gave it their best effort and that's all he can ask.

:agree:

Lakers can swing for the fences again in 2015 even if Love opts in with whatever team he's traded too. Either one of Rondo/Dragic and Al Jefferson/Marc Gasol would be nice. Hell I'll take one of the PG's and Asik. Would also leave room to sign another big FA in 2016 when Kobe's contract expires.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pretty much. There is nothing wrong with the Lakers way of doing things. The Lakers take full advantage of benefits that hardly any other franchise has. LA builds through transactions. It's been that way for the last 2 decades+ and in that time frame, LA has been the premier franchise so clearly they aren't doing anything wrong. It's foolish to think otherwise.

I just don't agree with bringing back most of the roster from last year on expiring deals to chase guys in 2015. If you go down the list of guys available in 2015, most all the top guys won't hit the open market. Love will resign with whoever he's traded to. Aldridge has already said he's going back to Portland and is only entering FA because he can make more money by hitting FA and resigning than signing an extension. Guys like Tony Parker, Goran Dragic, etc are all likely to resign with their own teams. Rondo might be available but if he gets traded, he could likely end up resigning with his new team. You're basically down to Marc Gasol, Paul Millsap, and Al Jefferson (who I think stays in Charlotte anyway). I'd like to have these players, but none are max guys. We could have signed better people this year and with Nash coming off the books in 2015, still found a way to fit Gasol or Millsap because neither will command max dollars. Unless I'm missing something big picture or a move planned, which is entirely possible, I just don't see why we have to have such a poor roster this year.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My thoughts are the Lakers waited 2 years too long to start gathering good role players and picks. Spurs are so good not from getting big free agents, but from getting solid role players in the draft. (except for Duncan who they tanked for) A team needs to be solid at all the positions and have a team at least 8 people deep. Then throw in a superstar and you have a remarkable chance to win it all.

The Lakers need a pg of the future, Clarkson I believe will be a solid backup PG for years, just like derek fisher was. Next year if the Lakers can get Rondo in free agency on a $12-14/year deal go for it. Rondo, Kobe, Randle, Young should be able to attract another person to the Lakers. Then add another solid first round pick from the Huston trade and if they have a top 5 pick if they suck hard core this season the Lakers are in business.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much. There is nothing wrong with the Lakers way of doing things. The Lakers take full advantage of benefits that hardly any other franchise has. LA builds through transactions. It's been that way for the last 2 decades+ and in that time frame, LA has been the premier franchise so clearly they aren't doing anything wrong. It's foolish to think otherwise.

I just don't agree with bringing back most of the roster from last year on expiring deals to chase guys in 2015. If you go down the list of guys available in 2015, most all the top guys won't hit the open market. Love will resign with whoever he's traded to. Aldridge has already said he's going back to Portland and is only entering FA because he can make more money by hitting FA and resigning than signing an extension. Guys like Tony Parker, Goran Dragic, etc are all likely to resign with their own teams. Rondo might be available but if he gets traded, he could likely end up resigning with his new team. You're basically down to Marc Gasol, Paul Millsap, and Al Jefferson (who I think stays in Charlotte anyway). I'd like to have these players, but none are max guys. We could have signed better people this year and with Nash coming off the books in 2015, still found a way to fit Gasol or Millsap because neither will command max dollars. Unless I'm missing something big picture or a move planned, which is entirely possible, I just don't see why we have to have such a poor roster this year.

I agree this roster stinks. I hate the clear cap space to chase after free agents in years to come stratage. It is not a good plan, and when you miss, you end like the Lakers did this year. Build through the draft. We need to get a top five pick now for 2015. Should have went after 2nd tier free agents this year. Stop striking out!!

Louie26

Beavers Suck
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,238.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree this roster stinks. I hate the clear cap space to chase after free agents in years to come stratage. It is not a good plan, and when you miss, you end like the Lakers did this year. Build through the draft. We need to get a top five pick now for 2015. Should have went after 2nd tier free agents this year. Stop striking out!!

Respectfully disagree tom.

Personally, I don't hate the roster. Not a playoff team, but not horrible either. I think Lin will surprise, if not, he'll be let go. But, I think you have to do a combo of both, draft and FA stars. I think Randle will be a great start, along with Clarkson, not too bad. Possibly get another player next year (draft), add Aldridge in the mix. Nash's money is off the books. Roster is shaping up. After Kobe's $$ comes off the books, go after Durant and continue to keep the bench solid.

Just my :2cents:

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at LeBrons contract in Cleveland. Only two years, expecting the new national tv contract will dissolve the salary cap and change the way max deals are handled.

Lakers were never afraid to go over the cap, if they blow up the salary cap idea I think the lakers will one of the top spending teams again.

Biggest name in 2016 is durant, but after the last negotiation with OKC with him basically telling them to write the max contract so he could sign it, you gotta wonder if he will leave.

You are gonna see alot of mediocre players getting max deals over the next year and a half.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think lakers problem has been the draft...look at all these trades....gave up a 1st rounder for ramon sessions. gave up a 1st rounder for Jordan hill. all those multiple draft picks for steve nash. id like to go back and see what players they could have had on their team had they kept those picks.

another thing is these other teams seem to capitalize on late round talent... love mitch..but drafting doesn't seem to be his strong suit

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I disagree. As wildturkey points out, the Lakers have always built through transactions. It's been this way since the 70's. Even our top 3 draft picks since Dr. Buss bought the team (Magic, Worthy and Kobe) were the result of transactions.

We've witnessed 11 championships and approximately 19 trips to the finals since 1970. No other franchise comes close over that period of time. It's clear that the Lakers know what they're doing.

They definitely gave the impression of a rudderless ship for about a year after Dr. Buss passed and made some mistakes. Maybe due to Jim Buss' incompetence, maybe because, as Jeanie alluded to, they were mourning their father AND trying to run the Lakers. Maybe a little of both.

While I don't like the end result of this past off-season, I do have some of my confidence renewed because I feel they did about was well as could realistically be expected. I also take heart in knowing that Jeanie was involved in the recruiting of 'Melo, where she wasn't with Dwight.

Sure, they could have gone after some 2nd tier FA's and used up future cap space, but what would that get them? A 5-8 seed and 1st or 2nd round playoff exit for a few years? How acceptable would that be?

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree. As wildturkey points out, the Lakers have always built through transactions. It's been this way since the 70's. Even our top 3 draft picks since Dr. Buss bought the team (Magic, Worthy and Kobe) were the result of transactions.

We've witnessed 11 championships and approximately 19 trips to the finals since 1970. No other franchise comes close over that period of time. It's clear that the Lakers know what they're doing.

They definitely gave the impression of a rudderless ship for about a year after Dr. Buss passed and made some mistakes. Maybe due to Jim Buss' incompetence, maybe because, as Jeanie alluded to, they were mourning their father AND trying to run the Lakers. Maybe a little of both.

While I don't like the end result of this past off-season, I do have some of my confidence renewed because I feel they did about was well as could realistically be expected. I also take heart in knowing that Jeanie was involved in the recruiting of 'Melo, where she wasn't with Dwight.

Sure, they could have gone after some 2nd tier FA's and used up future cap space, but what would that get them? A 5-8 seedand 1st or 2nd round playoff exit for a few years? How acceptable would that be?
T
I would rather be in the plyoffs then a 27 win team praying for free agents in the next 3 years. The Lakers manangment realized they need draft picks hence the lin pickup and turning down the sign a and trade pau deal. I would have went after Monroe. He is young and would come within budget. I agree with the Lin move to get draft picks. You have to draft a young superstar and build around him. I hope Randle is our superstar. I like getting free agents to enhance a roster or trading for one to put you over the top. This is not 70's or 80's. Dr. Buss is gone. Showtime is gone.

HizzleRocker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) I want our team to compete and make playoffs next year. That will be difficult but what I am rooting for.

2) however, if it goes ugly early, I will be in full operation tank mode again. The top 5 protected pick could be huge for us.

Not impressed with this offseason whatsoever. IMO, we were the biggest losers in the offseason. Flat out awful.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think lakers problem has been the draft...look at all these trades....gave up a 1st rounder for ramon sessions. gave up a 1st rounder for Jordan hill. all those multiple draft picks for steve nash. id like to go back and see what players they could have had on their team had they kept those picks.

another thing is these other teams seem to capitalize on late round talent... love mitch..but drafting doesn't seem to be his strong suit

Sounds like that is why he trades picks more often than not. All the laker playoff appearances, they expect late picks anyway. Late round talent is 90% luck, there are far more out of basketball than making a difference.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, they could have gone after some 2nd tier FA's and used up future cap space, but what would that get them? A 5-8 seed and 1st or 2nd round playoff exit for a few years? How acceptable would that be?

Much more acceptable than the current roster. What LA did isn't plan b. It's like plan C or D. I do not think it is worth it to hoard max cap space for 2015 because that class is not going to be very good. Most all the big names will stay with their team. The players left will be good, but not max guys and with Nash's contract gone, we could get one of those guys. Signing 2nd tier free agents to 2 year deals would have kept the Lakers competitive and allowed them to preserve cap space for 2016, when its far more likely better free agents will hit the market. And by being competitive the last couple of seasons, it would at least give the appearance of attractiveness to someone like Kevin Durant or another top guy. He wouldn't say "oh, that team has no one and they've lost for 2 straight years. Why go there?"

Plus, if Kobe is healthy, we're likely going to miss on our draft pick. So we're be just bad enough to be in the lottery but to not benefit from it. Houston's pick will likely be in the 20s and you're lucky if you get a serviceable role player in those spots. Heck, that's why LA traded all theirs away during the title years because it made more sense to pay guaranteed money to a known guy than pay guaranteed money to a guy that talent wise may not be much different than a 2nd rounder.

Basically this is a long way of saying bring back this roster would make a lot more sense if we didn't owe PHX our draft pick. But since we do, it makes a lot more sense to just sign 2nd tier guys and be a 5th or 6th seed.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
Much more acceptable than the current roster. What LA did isn't plan b. It's like plan C or D. I do not think it is worth it to hoard max cap space for 2015 because that class is not going to be very good. Most all the big names will stay with their team. The players left will be good, but not max guys and with Nash's contract gone, we could get one of those guys. Signing 2nd tier free agents to 2 year deals would have kept the Lakers competitive and allowed them to preserve cap space for 2016, when its far more likely better free agents will hit the market. And by being competitive the last couple of seasons, it would at least give the appearance of attractiveness to someone like Kevin Durant or another top guy. He wouldn't say "oh, that team has no one and they've lost for 2 straight years. Why go there?"

Plus, if Kobe is healthy, we're likely going to miss on our draft pick. So we're be just bad enough to be in the lottery but to not benefit from it. Houston's pick will likely be in the 20s and you're lucky if you get a serviceable role player in those spots. Heck, that's why LA traded all theirs away during the title years because it made more sense to pay guaranteed money to a known guy than pay guaranteed money to a guy that talent wise may not be much different than a 2nd rounder.

Basically this is a long way of saying bring back this roster would make a lot more sense if we didn't owe PHX our draft pick. But since we do, it makes a lot more sense to just sign 2nd tier guys and be a 5th or 6th seed.

:agree::clap:

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These 2nd tier FA's that some of you are so high on so that we can be a freakin' 6 seed and exit the playoffs in the 1st round, are generally signing contracts longer than 2 years.

So we get to be average, barely make the playoffs and be a 1st round exit for the foreseeable future because we ate up cap space signing 2nd tier FA's. What a great plan.

Additionally, no one knows if next years FA's will re-sign with their team or not. Maybe they will, may be not. The Lakers don't have draft picks. Any draft picks they get through trades will likely be along the lines of what they just got from Houston. You're not drafting a superstar to build around with picks that are that late.

They don't have picks and any they can get more will not net much more than a solid role player (in other words, those "2nd tier" guys). The Lakers have no choice but to re-build the way they always have....acquisitions.