• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Summarizing the first five games

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gutless, pussified play calling by Bevell. Momma Lynch is right.

RWilson looks like he trying to protect his quarterback rating instead of trying to win games. He is so afraid to make a mistake that he has this team's offense stuck in neutral. We are 2-3. Start taking some chances you Hollywood, Primadonna 'I won't fuck my girlfriend' bitch. Rawls 69 yard TD run might have been the worst thing to happen to them yesterday beacause they basically abandoned the pass after that.

Defense is poorly coached. There is still a ton of talent there but they are acting like they have never played together before. For a while, in the 2nd and 3rd quarter yesterday, I saw glimpses of The Legion of Boom. But when our offense went three and out or 6 and out on 6 consecutive possessions, the defense got gassed because it was on the field too much. Still no excuse, ladies. If you demand the big bucks then you have to show up when the team needs you. You can't just play good defense at home, you have to play it on the road too.

Acquiring Jimmy Graham was a mistake. They don't know how to use him and when he is open, Wilson can't find him. Now we have a tight end who can't block and a center who can't hike.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They abandoned Rawls in OT...explain that?? WTF is Jackson doing on the field when Rawls had a great game rolling.
Wilson isn't comfortable in the pocket, probably because he can't see out of it and misses reads/throws
Graham doesn't even seem to try out there and the routes they have him run are crap
OL was fine yesterday
D is meh. Teams pick on Williams every game. Chancellor is getting burned

Lucky that the record isn't 1-4...thank the refs

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've started slow, which isn't surprising, they start slow almost every year. Only once has the team had a better than 3-2 record since Carroll got here (4-1 in 2013). They tend to pick it up, so we'll see how things are looking later in the season.

-------W---L---PF---PA---YF---PYF---RYF---YA---PYA---RYA (through 5 games)
2010--3---2---95---97--1462-1033--429--1806-1454---352
2011--2---3---94--122--1440-1025--415--1830-1341---489
2012--3---2---86---70--1436---735--701--1293--960---333
2013--4---1--137---81--1832--1037-795--1518--973---545
2014--3---2--133--113--1679---930-749--1672-1261---411
2015--2---3--111---98--1780--1068-712--1534-1071---463

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They abandoned Rawls in OT...explain that?? WTF is Jackson doing on the field when Rawls had a great game rolling.
Wilson isn't comfortable in the pocket, probably because he can't see out of it and misses reads/throws
Graham doesn't even seem to try out there and the routes they have him run are crap
OL was fine yesterday

Rawls was not in the backfield for the first series in OT because they wanted to run the 2-minute drill and Rawls is not featured in the 2-minute drill. He was in the second offensive series.

You're right about the OL. I saw a lot of improvement. They wore down a bit in the 4th quarter and OT. Cable had them executing fairly well. Now he has to work on their stamina.

You're right about Cary Williams too. He's a friggin nightmare out there. How he got the Gruden's Grinders award last Monday is a mystery to me. Gruden must be a dumbass. On two different deep routes down the sidelines, Megatron had him badly beaten and Stafford overthrew Megatron both times. Otherwise, one would have been a TD and the other would have been a 40-yard gain. Seems like every week Williams is getting matched up with a WR that can outrun him. He's killing us.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They've started slow, which isn't surprising, they start slow almost every year. Only once has the team had a better than 3-2 record since Carroll got here (4-1 in 2013). They tend to pick it up, so we'll see how things are looking later in the season.

-------W---L---PF---PA---YF---PYF---RYF---YA---PYA---RYA (through 5 games)
2010--3---2---95---97--1462-1033--429--1806-1454---352
2011--2---3---94--122--1440-1025--415--1830-1341---489
2012--3---2---86---70--1436---735--701--1293--960---333
2013--4---1--137---81--1832--1037-795--1518--973---545
2014--3---2--133--113--1679---930-749--1672-1261---411
2015--2---3--111---98--1780--1068-712--1534-1071---463

Hey Ben, why did you start Knile Davis in our FFB league? Not trolling or criticizing, just curious. Jason Witten killed me. He ended up with negative points.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Ben, why did you start Knile Davis in our FFB league? Not trolling or criticizing, just curious. Jason Witten killed me. He ended up with negative points.

I've found that returners can kill it in this league. They're a gamble, cause they don't always get returns and aren't usually an offensive force, like this week, but going into the game Davis was a top 10 RB in scoring in the league.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL was fine yesterday

Honestly, the Wilson "can't see" out of the pocket theory is old/tired. The offense is game planed around his mobility but if need be he can make plays inside the pocket. This year the line is worse then ever in his career so he's had to leave the pocket much earlier.

The Graham/Wilson combo is a work in progress, just needs time to develop. By week 10 if graham has Willson type numbers, then I will be concerned.

Someone needs to correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the D is back in the top 10 after 5 games, even though the screwed up yesterdays game. So it's not really meh, their still a solid group.

Please stop using "thank the refs" comment, I'm sure the refs have given your team a few wins over the years.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...I don't have a team once the Cards left St Louis. I just like watching good matchups and living in the PNW I have an affinity to see the locals do well.

This slow start is becoming worse each year. And this year it is going to cost you all.

I didn't see Rawls in any offensive series in OT...I believe the local newspapers noted that as well and thought it odd.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL...I don't have a team once the Cards left St Louis. I just like watching good matchups and living in the PNW I have an affinity to see the locals do well.

This slow start is becoming worse each year. And this year it is going to cost you all.

I didn't see Rawls in any offensive series in OT...I believe the local newspapers noted that as well and thought it odd.

Since he got a carry in OT, it would be difficult for him to have not played.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rawls was not in the backfield for the first series in OT because they wanted to run the 2-minute drill and Rawls is not featured in the 2-minute drill. He was in the second offensive series.

You're right about the OL. I saw a lot of improvement. They wore down a bit in the 4th quarter and OT. Cable had them executing fairly well. Now he has to work on their stamina.

You're right about Cary Williams too. He's a friggin nightmare out there. How he got the Gruden's Grinders award last Monday is a mystery to me. Gruden must be a dumbass. On two different deep routes down the sidelines, Megatron had him badly beaten and Stafford overthrew Megatron both times. Otherwise, one would have been a TD and the other would have been a 40-yard gain. Seems like every week Williams is getting matched up with a WR that can outrun him. He's killing us.
I can understand your logic here, but is it him as much as Sherm that's killing us? What I mean by that is this sticking to one side of the field allows opponents to switch up their WR1 opposite Sherm for big gains. The first drive was atrocious yesterday, and then in an unlikely move Sherm started shadowing AJ and he was shut down. In Cary's defense he isn't paid to be our CB1, thats Sherm. Our coaching staff on both sides of the ball need to start putting these guys in the best position to succeed based off of the talents that they posses, and to me that's been the killer for us all year. Jimmy can't block so what do we do, continue to have him block. Sherm is a true lock down corner so what do we do, keep him on one side and allow the offense to dictate his matchups. Rawls ran his ass off yesterday and could hardly be stopped so what do we do in OT, start with Fred Jackson in the backfield and feed him to nothing positive. We could talk about both sides of the ball or blame one guy over another, but the fact of the matter is that the coordinators are failing on a weekly basis and Pete's gonna have to step it up. He needs to hold these guys up to the same standard as the players, and when something isn't working he needs to move on. Any player that has played to the level of the coaching that's been coached this year would have been cut a long time ago, next man up!

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL was fine yesterday

Your not the coach, you don't know why, perhaps Rawls was hurt ? Who knows... And your just hating saying Wilson can't see out of the pocket... Obviously Seattle has hurt your feelings in the past....

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your not the coach, you don't know why, perhaps Rawls was hurt ? Who knows... And your just hating saying Wilson can't see out of the pocket... Obviously Seattle has hurt your feelings in the past....

Actually, from what I saw yesterday I don't think Wilson is at all comfortable in the pocket... perhaps because it's because of the putrid O-Line so far this season. You saw many times yesterday where he broke out of the pocket way too early, especially on 3rd down and end up having to scramble and making plays, in many instances, he was not able to do so. I don't believe you want to see that for your QB.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, from what I saw yesterday I don't think Wilson is at all comfortable in the pocket... perhaps because it's because of the putrid O-Line so far this season. You saw many times yesterday where he broke out of the pocket way too early, especially on 3rd down and end up having to scramble and making plays, in many instances, he was not able to do so. I don't believe you want to see that for your QB.

Can you blame Wilson for leaving the pocket early sometimes ? Pass protection has been putrid so far .... If it wasn't for Wilson and his elusiveness we would have 40 sacks given up already ...

MKHawk

KFFL Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Summarizing the first 5 games?

86a738f68dd957c15576ca5033407e3add6e31d4471bc521d253644b8676b97f.jpg

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can you blame Wilson for leaving the pocket early sometimes ? Pass protection has been putrid so far .... If it wasn't for Wilson and his elusiveness we would have 40 sacks given up already ...

Why not? People torched Hasselbeck his last two years for being skittish in the pocket behind a bad OLine. I understand that Wilson has to avoid a lot of sacks, but a good number of his sacks come when e either holds the ball too long, or breaks the pocket and scrambles into a sack that wouldn't have happened. There's good and bad with everyone's play, and his tendency to leave the pocket early is one of his weaknesses.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he actually WINS some games by leaving the pocket and freelancing?

Hass didn't have that option.

At any rate, it isn't that Wilson is perfect and deserves NO criticism, it's just that there's reasons for why he's playing like he's playing.

Sure SOME of the sacks have come from him holding the ball too long, but then a whole bunch of them have simply been the pocket collapsing way too quickly.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are right, I'm not the coach. I personally don't know why Rawls was not on the first offensive series in OT. I am totally quoting Hugh Millen. If he said that they were running the 2-minute offense and Rawls is not part of that, then that is good enough for me.

And I am 'hating' Wilson? Geezuz, I don't even know the guy. Why would I hate him? But I'm not a homer by nature either. I am a realist. If you want the koolaid and the cheerleader pompoms, go for it. That isn't me. In my observation, the bigger Wilson's celebrity status has become, the more his indecisiveness has shown itself in his play.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? People torched Hasselbeck his last two years for being skittish in the pocket behind a bad OLine. I understand that Wilson has to avoid a lot of sacks, but a good number of his sacks come when e either holds the ball too long, or breaks the pocket and scrambles into a sack that wouldn't have happened. There's good and bad with everyone's play, and his tendency to leave the pocket early is one of his weaknesses.
Vick has done that throughout his career too. Last night he was more patient and it paid off. I guess it helps when you only throw the ball 15 times and have a great RB, but all-in-all, I thought Vick showed more patience last night than at any time before that I can remember. When he did roll out, they were designed rollouts most of the time.

Wilson needs to return to the player he was in 2012 and 2013. I think his confidence level right now is considerably lower than it was his first two years. Perhaps he is more afraid to fail now than he was then.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because he actually WINS some games by leaving the pocket and freelancing?

Hass didn't have that option.

At any rate, it isn't that Wilson is perfect and deserves NO criticism, it's just that there's reasons for why he's playing like he's playing.

Sure SOME of the sacks have come from him holding the ball too long, but then a whole bunch of them have simply been the pocket collapsing way too quickly.

I'd say at this point his sacks are 50% on Russell, 50% on the line. Yes, it'd be higher if Russell couldn't avoid sacks, but it is what it is. Cincy got to him 4 times, and at least 3 of them were solely on Russell, and that's with not even remembering the other 1.

1 - Breaks contain to the right, tries to find a receiver, cannot and runs out of bounds 2 yards behind the LOS instead of throwing it away.

2 - Breaks contain up the middle early, DL rolls back away from his blocker and sacks Wilson from behind (happened several times the previous 2 weeks).

3 - Has decent pocket, but pulls ball down, puts head down and dances trying to find hole to leave pocket from, is eventually sacked (had ball over 3 seconds before pulling ball down).

Who really knows (besides Russell) why Russell is so uncomfortable in the pocket, but he is going to have to fix it, cause right now it appears that he's the only person on the offense he trusts and he can't do it all by himself, no matter how hard he tries.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say at this point his sacks are 50% on Russell, 50% on the line. Yes, it'd be higher if Russell couldn't avoid sacks, but it is what it is. Cincy got to him 4 times, and at least 3 of them were solely on Russell, and that's with not even remembering the other 1.

1 - Breaks contain to the right, tries to find a receiver, cannot and runs out of bounds 2 yards behind the LOS instead of throwing it away.

2 - Breaks contain up the middle early, DL rolls back away from his blocker and sacks Wilson from behind (happened several times the previous 2 weeks).

3 - Has decent pocket, but pulls ball down, puts head down and dances trying to find hole to leave pocket from, is eventually sacked (had ball over 3 seconds before pulling ball down).

Who really knows (besides Russell) why Russell is so uncomfortable in the pocket, but he is going to have to fix it, cause right now it appears that he's the only person on the offense he trusts and he can't do it all by himself, no matter how hard he tries.

I used to edit a TV and web show on the local pro football team. The team for years had one of the best veteran QB's in the league, always among the league leaders in passing stats. (He had a REALLY short, unspectacular stay in the NFL)

Anyway, we got to know him doing the show, and every week, I'd cut highlights and packages on the play of the team. And I started to notice a trend with his play (and remember this guy is a veteran 'elite' QB to boot. If he'd get lit up a couple of times in a game, he'd start to get happy feet in the pocket. You could see him start to think too much, and his mechanics would go to shvt. He'd start throwing off his back foot, start sailing balls, and start getting picked.

If he was in a groove, confident, setting his feet, and stepping into throws, the guy was lights out. But Good Hank/Bad Hank would be determined by what kind of physical abuse he was taking.

Now what I've noticed watching Wilson these past few years is that he'll start to get skittish, ducking, shuffling his feet, getting ready to either 1. be smacked or 2. bolt out of the pocket and run.

To his credit, I RARELY see him do mechanically suspect things, like throw off his back foot. But he will start to get gunshy about settling in the pocket and staying there no matter what.

I disagree with you that he's regressed though. He's going through reads better, plus he's making most of the reads at the LOS, since the centre is new - but the time he's getting is getting worse, not better. The fact that he has nearly a 70% completion rate despite that O line play is pretty damned astounding actually.

At any rate, the issues he's having are mental, not physical. He's thinking too much, and he's playing scared too much.

I don't see anything to suggest that those issues aren't correctible, especially given his work ethic, and desire to excel.