• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Suh Fined $100K

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh was not intending to even make a cut block.
The first impact was very slightly below the waist, not near the knees.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Suh is dirty player right now, but a cut block is not dirty, it is still allowed in most scenarios.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cut blocks are still very dangerous, for the most part they target the knee of 300 pound men.

They are legal because they are not significantly more dangerous than other football plays.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reffering to the calling on the field, and the ref called it an illegal chop block which idue to the rule change this year is what it's called. Unless I am missing something.

I believe it was called a cut back block (not sure though). It was done to protect players during returns from being blocked low from the side. If Suh would have been heads up with him my understanding it would have not been a penalty.

So when the guy dove low on Brady and blew his knee out it was a clean play. But the very same clean play would have been dirty the next season?

Penalty yes, dirty not so much.

Again play had not been blown dead and the defender was still trying to make a play. How many offensive lineman have been fined for repeated chop blocks? And if they have it hasn't made them dirty when in fact I would think that has a higher probability of injuring a player.

It's football penalties happen to call Suh dirty you have to now he was trying to injure the guy. Otherwise it was just a stupid penalty.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am now bored silly with this and I am bowing out. I forgot my rule one for message boards today.

You can't argue opinion

NativeWebfoot

Live to race-Race to live
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've read all the arguments about the "legality" of the play and whether it or similar plays were legal last year. I've seen enough football to know this was a totally unnecessary cheap shot at a lineman that was trailing the ballcarrier by more than 5 yds and had absolutely zero chance of catching up to him. If Suh had not gone that extra to dive instead of running a few more steps and bumping the lineman, there would be no flag, fine, or issue. There are always plays in which a player can "legally" hit an opposing player before the whistle but too far away from the ball to matter. The issue, as I see it, is that Suh has a tendency to look for ways to get that extra cheap shot in before the whistle whether it changes the play's outcome or not. That's why the other players voted Suh the dirtiest player. They all have to keep an eye out for him even if nowhere near the ball or action because he'll try to get another hit on someone that's not looking before the whistle.

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not only is suh dirty on the field hes dirty OFF the field. he doesnt wash his feet. after the game when he takes his cleats off in the lockeroom its a site to behold. FIRE IN THE HOLE!

briz almighty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
spygate is going to be dead soon just wait till the pats win another sb with brady. better get a new excuse ready.

Drawmeomg

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when the guy dove low on Brady and blew his knee out it was a clean play. But the very same clean play would have been dirty the next season?

Penalty yes, dirty not so much.

I would contend that when the league instructs you not to do something because you have a high chance of seriously injuring another player, and you do it anyway (and it wasn't a penalty that was out of your hands like you got pushed into it and couldn't stop or something like that), that's pretty much automatically a dirty play. You're either going in with intent to injure or you're negligent.

Before the league bans it, it can be a matter of intent. You may just not be thinking about the possibility that it'll injure the guy. You might not realize that this kind of play has a significant risk of injuring the player. If you are trying to cause an injury, that's a dirty play. After the league rules on it, and given that the league has refs into every training camp to go over these things with teams, you lose those possible excuses.