• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Strop/Arrieta

Elginbaylor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jake Arrieta: 2 starts, 13 IP, 4 hits, 1 run, 0.69 ERA

Pedro Strop: 19 Games, 18.2 IP, ZERO runs allowed in all appearances except one where he allowed 5 runs on the third game of a back-to-back-to-back.
Overall Strop: 18.2 IP, 8 hits, 5 runs, 0.80 WHIP, 2.41 ERA

Feldman: 7 games, 5.18 ERA, inline with what he used to do in the American League.

Can we stop with this Rule-5-Draft lunacy? McFarland and Flaherty are not needed at all. I bet they'll keep McFarland on the 25-man next year like they have this year with Flaherty so they can justify keeping McFarland on the roster all year this year.

So far McFarland has cost us: 1). Strop 2). Luis Ayala (2.04 ERA with Braves) 3). Bullpen flexibility in 1st half of season resulting in extra workloads for Tommy Hunter and Jim Johnson while starters were averaging 5 innings a start. 4). Using Bud Norris in relief this week. 5). Not able to call up whoever is hot in AAA.(Wada, Gausman?)
Flaherty's spot is pretty much wasted. That spot should be used for an 8th reliever or DH type. They think they can get by till September roster expansion, but we could be out of it by then.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact is that Strop and Arrieta simply couldn't get the job done with this organization. As much as I hate to say this... the root of the issue might not be McFarland / Flaherty, but rather the pitching coach (why else would Strop / Arrieta, etc. pitch better with other organizations?)

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[Addendum]

One could argue that the management could also be blamed for keeping players that have performed even worse than McFarland and Flaherty. For example:

McFarland: 57.0 IP, 4.26 ERA, 1.46 WHIP, 3.77 FIP, 0.4 fWAR / 0.1 rWAR
Garcia: 53.0 IP, 5.77 ERA, 1.36 WHIP, 6.72 FIP, -0.7 fWAR / -0.3 fWAR

(Sure, Garcia is back in AAA now... but the point is that DFA'ing a player is analogous to returning a Rule 5 player to the original team-- a DFA'ed player could be claimed by any organization.)

Flaherty: 215 PA, 0.212 / 0.271 / 0.354 / 0.625, 0.7 fWAR / 0.3 rWAR
Reimold: 140 PA, 0.195 / 0.250 / 0.336 / 0.586, -0.8 fWAR / -0.7 rWAR

(Yes, I do realize that Reimold's performance is partly hampered by his injuries. But since he hasn't been able to stay healthy for quite a while, perhaps the organization should have moved on earlier. If anything, Flaherty could be useful as a utility infielder as long as he doesn't start too many games; in contrast, Reimold is a DH/LF type, and a position player who can neither field or hit can't really contribute much.)

As for the "not able to call up Wada / Gausman" argument... again, the fact is that the organization could have chosen to clear up a roster spot by replacing anyone else. For example, why not DFA Jim Johnson (or at least DL him for inflammation of the ERA) earlier in the season when he has turned into another Strop?

Bottom line: I agree that McFarland and Flaherty have underperformed-- but the logic that keeping them has hurt our team should be fairly applied to all other players as well. I think you have indicated the existence of a deeper issue: The organization needs to do a better job in terms of determining which players to keep on the 25-man roster-- and that means players in general rather than just Rule 5 draft picks.

Last edited by a moderator:

NJBuckO's

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bottom line is Showalter needs to be more flexible in how he uses Johnson, like real flexible.lol

pools

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate to say it, but I am starting to think the pitch calls are the problem. It would be one thing if just a couple of our pitchers were throwing consistent homeruns but our entire squad does it.

Haven't compared the stats between Teagardens starts and Wieters but it sure seems that there is a higher amount when Wieters is behind that plate. Could be wrong but it just seems it.

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As much as I hate to say it, but I am starting to think the pitch calls are the problem. It would be one thing if just a couple of our pitchers were throwing consistent homeruns but our entire squad does it.

Haven't compared the stats between Teagardens starts and Wieters but it sure seems that there is a higher amount when Wieters is behind that plate. Could be wrong but it just seems it.

This might sound strange, but it's possible that Wieters might be a slightly worse catcher this year:

2013:
Wieters: 4.48 CERA, -11 DRS, -0.4 defensive WAR (893 innings)
Teagarden: 3.81 CERA, 1 DRS, +0.2 defensive WAR (144 innings)

For comparison, here are the 2012 figures:
Wieters: 3.80 CERA, 5 DRS, +1.3 defensive WAR (1189 innings)
Teagarden: 4.57 CERA, -2 DRS, -0.1 defensive WAR (152 innings)

Possible suggestion: Maybe Wieters needs to be rested a little more often because playing too much could be hampering his ability?

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've been sayin it all year...its the pitch calls not the pitchers...why else would jj throw 1000 straight fastballs without shaking off a sign?

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And they go into the offspeed well too early and too often...reason for high pitch count and leading the league in starts by pitchers not to make the 7th inning....by the 3rd time thru the order the hitters have already seen every pitch in the arsenal and have adjusted

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been sayin it all year...its the pitch calls not the pitchers...why else would jj throw 1000 straight fastballs without shaking off a sign?

So what's the solution? Get a new catcher in the offseason? (That feels like an overreaction consider Wieters' track record, though-- 2013 might just be one bad year.) Or do they need a new coach for handling catchers?

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he offers nothing with the bat so maybe he's expendable

hattersgonnahate

Armchair Sabermetrician
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well he offers nothing with the bat so maybe he's expendable

By "one bad year," I was referring to Wieters' defense. And really, his hitting is acceptable for a catcher even this year (well, with the exception of June and August so far).

Maybe a possible compromise is to keep him for now (with the intention of hoping that he rebounds in 2014) and start planning ahead? That way, if the organization actually manages to find a better option, we could perhaps--like Buck has said--let the Yankees take him after he becomes a free agent. :rollseyes:

tedman2012

Hoopla Cash
$ 981.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
guys guys pitchers need to shake matt off some .

calfan810

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By "one bad year," I was referring to Wieters' defense. And really, his hitting is acceptable for a catcher even this year (well, with the exception of June and August so far).

Maybe a possible compromise is to keep him for now (with the intention of hoping that he rebounds in 2014) and start planning ahead? That way, if the organization actually manages to find a better option, we could perhaps--like Buck has said--let the Yankees take him after he becomes a free agent. :rollseyes:

One bad yr?...whose to say the past yrs weren't bad...I'd say he's had one good year defensively as far as calling games...but offensively .245 hitting catchers r a dime a dozen