• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steve Kerr SHOULD NOT be the COY

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Warriors for having the best regular season ever. With that said, nobody have a problem with Kerr being the coach of the year? Dude only coached about half the year. His assistant had a similar record. I can't imagine a player playing half a year, and becoming the MVP. Why should we give a coach a pass?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congrats to the Warriors for having the best regular season ever. With that said, nobody have a problem with Kerr being the coach of the year? Dude only coached about half the year. His assistant had a similar record. I can't imagine a player playing half a year, and becoming the MVP. Why should we give a coach a pass?

You realize he ran practices and designed the system that Luke was running, and coached everything except the sidelines right? If not you need some education.

This really should be his 2nd COY, Budenholzer? Whatev.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You realize he ran practices and designed the system that Luke was running, and coached everything except the sidelines right? If not you need some education.

This really should be his 2nd COY, Budenholzer? Whatev.

That's bullshit! You are what you do on the sidelines. Luke was the one that was doing the subs. He was the one making adjustments. He was the one motivating them. What you do on the sidelines, is what make you a great coach.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's bullshit! You are what you do on the sidelines. Luke was the one that was doing the subs. He was the one making adjustments. He was the one motivating them. What you do on the sidelines, is what make you a great coach.

I could not disagree more.

As a hobby, I was a high school assistant for 10 years. Over that span, there were about 10-12 games where I was acting head coach when the man was absent.

I can tell you that each time, the game plan was a collaborative effort and I had very specific instructions. Obviously, there were additional ways that I could affect the game in those instances, but it really did not feel that much different because I was using his game plan. There were 2 times I specifically remember deviating. 1 game we won and nothing was said. The other time we got blitzed early, were down 15 in the first quarter, I abandoned the plan and my head coach was very upset.

As for substitutions, you can't assume the head coach makes all those decisions. Most teams have set rotations and often assistants are in charge of managing them in game. Substitutions were one of my tasks when the head was there. Obviously, he had the ability to overrule, but that rarely happened.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let me also say that in game coaching is important. A bad game manager will never be a great coach, but pre-game preparation is equally important and perhaps more so. Great in game coaches are not just flying by the seat of their pants. The better you prepare, the easier it is to make necessary adjustments.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terry Stotts should have won COY.

If you are going to give it to Kerr, it should be split with Walton. Walton had a better record then Kerr.

Kerr got robbed last year of COY, so I think they tried to make up for it this year. But again Walton was a huge part of that record breaking season.

Meanwhile in Portland. I think the odd makers had Portland at 25 wins....They are currently leading their playoff series 3-2....as a 5th seed.....

Terry Stotts.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Hawks have a team full of almost star players...imo coach Bud deserved COY last year...maybe it was a makeup call on Kerr this yr and I get it on Walton, but part time interim guys don't win it...it's either Kerr or another HC.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's okay. Luke will get his COY next year with the Lakers. :nod:

Bolts

Depressed Sports Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,019.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have given it to Stotts for getting a top 5 seed and probably making it to the 2nd round after losing 4 starters from a year ago, but I also can understand why Kerr won.

ChrisWebber

Changed my password to "incorrect"
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with Stotts. Look at that roster. You think that roster can win 48 games and make the playoffs in the West?

That same team blew out the Warriors at full strength by 30+ points.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to agree with Stotts. Look at that roster. You think that roster can win 48 games and make the playoffs in the West?

That same team blew out the Warriors at full strength by 30+ points.

Agree re: Stotts. I think most expected the Blazers to be in Lakers territory re: record. Instead, they have a strong chance of making it to round 2.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could not disagree more.

As a hobby, I was a high school assistant for 10 years. Over that span, there were about 10-12 games where I was acting head coach when the man was absent.

I can tell you that each time, the game plan was a collaborative effort and I had very specific instructions. Obviously, there were additional ways that I could affect the game in those instances, but it really did not feel that much different because I was using his game plan. There were 2 times I specifically remember deviating. 1 game we won and nothing was said. The other time we got blitzed early, were down 15 in the first quarter, I abandoned the plan and my head coach was very upset.

As for substitutions, you can't assume the head coach makes all those decisions. Most teams have set rotations and often assistants are in charge of managing them in game. Substitutions were one of my tasks when the head was there. Obviously, he had the ability to overrule, but that rarely happened.

All that is understandable, but what you do on the sidelines, is what matters the most.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be no way in hell, a coach should be COY by only coaching 39 games.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All that is understandable, but what you do on the sidelines, is what matters the most.

Maybe, but who has been better than Steve Kerr over the last 2 seasons? If he were to walk away from a first year championship and a 73 win season without a single COY award, then something is wrong there.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see both sides of the argument here. One one hand it is a fact he only was on the sidelines for 39 games. On the other, it's Kerr's game plan, plays, and strategy that is being executed by the interim coach. Kerr was there for every home game in the back and at practices for all of the season. Even on games away he would constantly communicate with the team. Even Luke said the philosophy of the team was to act as Kerr would.

The entire offense and defense was designed (of course with help of assistants) by Kerr. If you want a better understanding of the impact Kerr has, the rotation of the team didn't deviate once Kerr got back. Luke made the substitutions as Kerr would.

Lastly, the Coach of the Year award is the most flawed award out there. There really is no metric for determining who the best coach was that year. If a team is expected to be good, there is an implied assumption that the coach had less to do with the success than an expected bad team exceeding expectations.

Take Kerr out of this argument and take two guys Stotts and Pop. If you switched them on to the two teams, do you think the Blazers are better than they are now or worse? Same with do you think the Spurs are better or worse?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have to give the other 5 seed some props in the COY also. I still don't see how the Celtics even make the playoff with that roster. Stevens has them playing way over their talent level IMO.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but who has been better than Steve Kerr over the last 2 seasons? If he were to walk away from a first year championship and a 73 win season without a single COY award, then something is wrong there.

1. It don't matter who been the best the last 2 years because last season is irrelevant. If you want to play that game, who has been better than Pop the last 10 years?

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

2. Out of those 73 wins, he only coached 39 games.

Lakers+USC=#1

Fuck CBS
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, and I would give it to Stotts.