• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steeler 1st Qtr Season Grades

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Part of my job is Qtrly Reporting...MNF gm following a TNF game so we have a few extra days to marinate on something...rather than dwelling on a loss, I thought would do a down and dirty on the Steelers through 4.

HC...2-2 is not ideal with this schedule, but aside from the opening game where there was miscommunication on the backend of the DEF...the Steelers have looked ready to play in all 3 phases with the exception of the kicking game. I have to assume Colbert found Scoobee, but Tomlin had to watch him kick and sign off on this deal, for that reason...C-

OFC/Haley...avg. 24 pts a gm...in terms of rankings...13th in scoring, 12th in yds. Needless to say those numbers were effected by Ben going down...in game 4 Haley was conservative...in hindsight maybe too much so and wore the DEF down a little, but it worked, had a 4Q lead in the game...B

DEF/Butler...avg. 18.75 pts gm...that ranks 8th and the yards allowed is 1387 ranking 12th. One of the biggest areas of concern coming into the season was QB pressure and takeaways.

Sacks - 14 ranks 12th
INTs - 2 ranks 21th
3 Forced Fumbles, 2 recovered for a total of 4 takeaways.

I said last year I thought this might be a sack by committee type team...thru 4 games, it looks that way.

Timmons, W. Allen, Shazier, Spence, Harrison - 1 ea
Moats - 1.5
Dupree - 2
Heyward - 2
Tuitt - 3.5

I'm still not sold on the run stopping consistently, but overall I have to say B.

How would you grade the 1st 4 games.

SteelerKing

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sacks - 14 ranks 12th

Our 14 sacks ranks 4th currently, just as a heads up.

Despite that, I'd probably give the defense a B- or possibly only a C+ by Steelers standards and my own. The run defense is average to slightly below, the pass rush is grade A material, and the coverage is about average after a miserable start in NE.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our 14 sacks ranks 4th currently, just as a heads up.

Despite that, I'd probably give the defense a B- or possibly only a C+ by Steelers standards and my own. The run defense is average to slightly below, the pass rush is grade A material, and the coverage is about average after a miserable start in NE.
Thanks for picking that up.

With as many young guy playing...the DEF might be surpassing my expectations actually, but in comparison to the old Steeler D standard...C+ is very fair.