• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steeler 1st Qtr Review

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very much so. I really think Burns can be fixed...he has to learn how to recognize the dbl move, that's what's killing him. Burnett is a solid player but starting to look like another lame FA pick up. So far it looks like they aimed for the lower hanging FA fruit because they were earmarking so much capital to Bell's contract.
How much of that is on Burns and how much on coaching? They each share blame in his lack of development but what percentage do you give to each?

Noll and his staff excelled at coaching up players. They never worried about drafting physical freaks or athletic specimens. They drafted football players who could be coached and taught them the fundamentals and techniques to succeed. They didn't mind a player getting beat physically every now and then but mental mistakes were not tolerated. The current coaching staff seems unable to do that. Look at all the metal mistakes they've made through the first 4 games, especially on D. Time and time again we see confusion in the secondary on assignments and stupid penalties being taken.

Can the coaches correct this or not? I have very high doubt because we're 4 games in and we've yet to see any improvement.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How much of that is on Burns and how much on coaching? They each share blame in his lack of development but what percentage do you give to each?

Noll and his staff excelled at coaching up players. They never worried about drafting physical freaks or athletic specimens. They drafted football players who could be coached and taught them the fundamentals and techniques to succeed. They didn't mind a player getting beat physically every now and then but mental mistakes were not tolerated. The current coaching staff seems unable to do that. Look at all the metal mistakes they've made through the first 4 games, especially on D. Time and time again we see confusion in the secondary on assignments and stupid penalties being taken.

Can the coaches correct this or not? I have very high doubt because we're 4 games in and we've yet to see any improvement.

Blame...no question they share the blame but this is Burns 3rd season and he's been on the field a lot. He knows the speed of the game, he should know some of the players in this DIV in terms of studying their routes, tendencies, etc. if you're facing them twice a yr. I understand making mistakes, every CB is going to get beat, but he's frustrated and wants to make plays so he's biting on every dbl move that he sees.

He may need to take a little more conservative approach for a game or two. He might give up some 1st downs but make tackles, keep the play in front of him until he has a feel for how a guy is coming out of his breaks...then get more aggressive as the game goes.

On the coaching side...back in the Noll era, the coaches had forever and a day access to the players...they don't get that now. Coaching up, imo the player has to initiate a lot of that now...especially off season.

I don't like bringing a guy up from the college ranks unless he's coached pros before. As a position coach, you have a DEF scheme that you're working within, and this player just doesn't fit it. He's not a zone player, and at this point he's round peg in a square DEF.

I think you just have to decide...if I'm going to play this kid do I just put him on a # and say you play him, and put a S over the top of him and trust that Haden, Hilton and Sutton can defend deep one on one.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Blame...no question they share the blame but this is Burns 3rd season and he's been on the field a lot. He knows the speed of the game, he should know some of the players in this DIV in terms of studying their routes, tendencies, etc. if you're facing them twice a yr. I understand making mistakes, every CB is going to get beat, but he's frustrated and wants to make plays so he's biting on every dbl move that he sees.

He may need to take a little more conservative approach for a game or two. He might give up some 1st downs but make tackles, keep the play in front of him until he has a feel for how a guy is coming out of his breaks...then get more aggressive as the game goes.

On the coaching side...back in the Noll era, the coaches had forever and a day access to the players...they don't get that now. Coaching up, imo the player has to initiate a lot of that now...especially off season.

I don't like bringing a guy up from the college ranks unless he's coached pros before. As a position coach, you have a DEF scheme that you're working within, and this player just doesn't fit it. He's not a zone player, and at this point he's round peg in a square DEF.

I think you just have to decide...if I'm going to play this kid do I just put him on a # and say you play him, and put a S over the top of him and trust that Haden, Hilton and Sutton can defend deep one on one.
They knew that when they drafted him. We all knew that too. We know that the current philosophy is draft best athlete and coach them up. But if the player isn't a good fit in your schemes to begin with then draft someone who is. What we don't know is if that failing is on the scouts, coaches or both. Someone thought Burns fit their schemes or could be coached up to fit their schemes. That someone appears to be wrong so far.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They knew that when they drafted him. We all knew that too. We know that the current philosophy is draft best athlete and coach them up. But if the player isn't a good fit in your schemes to begin with then draft someone who is. What we don't know is if that failing is on the scouts, coaches or both. Someone thought Burns fit their schemes or could be coached up to fit their schemes. That someone appears to be wrong so far.

Every NFL team does that to some degree...not every draft pick is ready made for your system...those top 10 maybe 15 players off the board...they can adapt to most any system, but most of the other 1st round picks need some coaching up from a system stand point and the further you go down the draft some guys need technique coaching up as well as system...as you said, most in the draft media felt Burns was a reach in the 1st round...just wasn't technically sound and he had not played a lot of football.

But of course...obviously somebody in the building said we can work with this guy.

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this stat two other places.... I'm gonna hat-trick it, since this conversation about Conner has been had here already:

First game: Conner rushed 31 times for 135. That's 4.35 per
Next 3 games: Conner rushed 24 TOTAL times for 97 yards. That's 4.04 per.

Randy has just come out and said he's underused Conner. Conner isn't the problem, playcalling is.

Conner has been as productive per-rush for all 4 games. He just isn't getting the carries. This team has established no identity, and can't figure out how to put forward a cohesive offensive (or defensive) gameplan.

Conner has been a more than adequate replacement for Bell. Bell wouldn't have any more yards if he only got 24 caries in 3 games.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this stat two other places.... I'm gonna hat-trick it, since this conversation about Conner has been had here already:

First game: Conner rushed 31 times for 135. That's 4.35 per
Next 3 games: Conner rushed 24 TOTAL times for 97 yards. That's 4.04 per.

Randy has just come out and said he's underused Conner. Conner isn't the problem, playcalling is.

Conner has been as productive per-rush for all 4 games. He just isn't getting the carries. This team has established no identity, and can't figure out how to put forward a cohesive offensive (or defensive) gameplan.

Conner has been a more than adequate replacement for Bell. Bell wouldn't have any more yards if he only got 24 caries in 3 games.
Exactly what I've been saying all along. I can understand his low running touches in the KC game cause we were down big and playing catch up all game but TB and Balt make no sense. TB we were up big at the half and Balt we were tied at the half and still didn't run the ball. I said Randy was catering to Ben and this proves it. Hopefully, Randy has seen his error and won't repeat it!!!

Superbelt

Castigat ridendo mores
Hoopla Cash
$ 223.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly what I've been saying all along. I can understand his low running touches in the KC game cause we were down big and playing catch up all game but TB and Balt make no sense. TB we were up big at the half and Balt we were tied at the half and still didn't run the ball. I said Randy was catering to Ben and this proves it. Hopefully, Randy has seen his error and won't repeat it!!!
Agree. Ben isn't the OC. OC has to gameplan, and not cater to Ben. Gotta do what is best for the team.

Conner isn't as vocally demanding for touches as Bell would have been. I suppose.

Stop catering to the fucking diva's, and playcall to WIN.

We have a horse who can run the ball. Give it to him. Establish the running game. He can do it!