• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steeler 1st Qtr Review

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a thread titled this team is dogshit and I thought to post this there, certainly deserving.

After a 1-2-1 start, it's needless to say this team has underperformed. Unless the FO does something truly out of character, Tomlin is going to finish this season so fire Mike Tomlin is not likely to happen...and it's doubtful that Tomlin will make any midseason staff changes.

But...just a few 1Q nuggets.

The DEF has given up 116 points (ranks 26th, they ranked even worse against yardage 31st)...to put this in perspective, the DEF last year gave up 308 pts in 16 games...this team is on track to give up a staggering 464 pts. Last season only 3 teams gave up 400+ points...CLE 410, IND 404, and HOU 436. With CIN x2, NO, ATL, and NE still remaining on the schedule, if things don't change in a hurry, this DEF could be one of the worst in recent history. That sounds pretty bad but the numbers don't lie.

You can't help but wonder if Butler's hand's have been tied on this DEF.

FS, Davis 3rd yr player, 1st yr at the position, SS, Edmunds, rookie, CB2, Burns 3rd yr guy has lost confidence, Slot, Hilton, 2nd yr starter. CB4, Sutton, 2nd yr guy. Morgan Burnett's injury status has forced Edmunds onto the field, but supposedly there was a game plan for Edmunds as a rookie so they were expecting him to be getting snaps.

I get it, well part of it. I don't get Burns' regression. But the main focus is to note that this is a young secondary, but also one that's underperforming. Davis is actually playing well. Without Joe Haden, we seen it can be really, really ugly back there. The strength of the DEF is the front 7. We know the Mack LB spot is not whole, but the way this team is giving up points in the 1Q is scary because the concept of the DEF (max coverage, and force you to execute your plays down field...i.e. hope you make a mistake) is conceptually a 180 degs opposite of the results they're getting.

You couple that with the amount of penalties the team has had, and it's no secret that coaching is a big part of the reason for this bad start. Tomlin & Butler have to get this DEF figured out in short order...they don't have time to wait for the bye...they need Ws the next two week to this season will go down the tubes early.

Sacks...13, TJ & Bud are tied for the lead with 3. That's not a bad number as it will bubble up to 50+ sack over 16 games, but they're not consistent....3rd down DEF has to rank near the bottom of the league. Butler has to figure out how to bring pressure on 3rd down...rushing 2 or 3 or even 4 and expect to effect the QB is proving to be a failure.

HC/DC...I tie these to together because DEF is Tomlin's forte...1 of 5...116 PA says it all.

OC...The OFC comes in scoring 102 (T10 in the NFL). New OC Randy Fichtner and without Leveon Bell, on the surface that doesn't sound that bad. Watching the games, Ben has not really been that sharp throughout the game. Connor has filled in well for Bell, the last 2 games, the OFC got in a deep hole early and couldn't devote as much time to the running game.

3 of 5...in spite of a top 10 scoring DEF 3 is the best that I can go here because there are just too many lulls (3 & outs) or non-productive drives.

ST...3 of 5...Berry is punting a little better of late, and Boswell is rounding into form...the reason this grade is this high is Switzer...he's been a true find.

The good is they still have 12 games to improve their play...the bad, the competition gets harder.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season quickly turned into a fallacy. Shame on us for believing that Tomlin could somehow mistakenly find success with this team. The coaching staff as a whole has completely regressed. It's almost as if the coaches composed playbooks made entirely out of failed schemes that caused embarrassment in years past. I can picture it now, Tomlin & his cadres sitting around a campfire...

"Oooo remember how badly we get embarrassed when we drop 8 into coverage? Gotta have me some more of that!" -Butler

"So for the new offense I'm thinking we completely abandon any semblence of balance & reason and just throw the ball. And not only that, but lets have all of our route trees fall directly into zone coverage schemes making inept DBs look like all-stars" - Fichtner

"I should have hired you guys a long time ago" - Tomlin

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are two glaring issues with this team. The running game and the defense. Both are one of the worst in the league. We need to address those two things. The coaching staff needs to get the secondary together and find out what the reason is that they don't know how to play basic football.

I just saw a Raiders offense tear the Cleveland defense to shreds yesterday and while I was watching that game, I couldn't help but ask myself, "Why couldn't we do this in the season opener?"

We also have to answer the question mark at the RB position, don't we? Are we really gonna just stick with Conner knowing that it isn't working out? He's pretty much been inactive the last 3 games. We drafted Jaylen Samuels for a reason, let's incorporate him into the running game. We signed Stevan Ridley for a reason, let's incorporate him into the running game. Something isn't clicking in that running game and it needs to be fixed. We are in the bottom 5 in the league in rushing offense and rushing defense.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mother fucker.
The only thing we still don't know... Was he doin that the whole game, or did he step in after the Ravens were already up 14-0 in the 1st quarter to stop the bleeding? Score was 20-14 at the clip.

No way of knowing for sure. But his impact on the defense is readily apparent no matter which way you cut it.

I do recall seeing Tomlin holding that play card the ENTIRE game. So makes me believe he was calling plays from the get-go.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Easy to draw conclusions from losses like these... But it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to see that this team has no direction. Coaches & FO are just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks at this point.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Easy to draw conclusions from losses like these... But it doesn't take a stretch of the imagination to see that this team has no direction. Coaches & FO are just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks at this point.

This. This is what frustrates me about this team. The people in charge don't seem to know what the fuck they are doing. Everyone on that coaching staff and FO has been doing this for long enough to know what should be done or what needs to be done. It's not like this team doesn't have the tools to win because we do and we've done it before. It's just a matter of using the right tools and making sure the right people are in the right places and the right people are calling the shots.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. This is what frustrates me about this team. The people in charge don't seem to know what the fuck they are doing. Everyone on that coaching staff and FO has been doing this for long enough to know what should be done or what needs to be done. It's not like this team doesn't have the tools to win because we do and we've done it before. It's just a matter of using the right tools and making sure the right people are in the right places and the right people are calling the shots.
Yep. It just doesn't make any sense why they keep rolling out the same failing schemes every week. As Tomlin used to say, "we don't coach in our fears"... Well it certainly looks like they are now. Fichtner can't get the running game going so he abandons it... Butler doesn't trust his DBs so he drops everyone & their dog into coverage... And Tomlin doesn't seem to know how to motivate this group anymore so he just plays cheerleader and lets the clowns rule the roost.

Its easy to see they need change. But nothing will happen. Tomlin will most likely get the team back to a 6-8 win record and keep his job. Then we can expect more of the same next year. We'd be lucky if Ben didn't up & retire out of exhaustion with this coaching staff. There's simply no reason to expect change with Tomlin in the building.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only thing we still don't know... Was he doin that the whole game, or did he step in after the Ravens were already up 14-0 in the 1st quarter to stop the bleeding? Score was 20-14 at the clip.

No way of knowing for sure. But his impact on the defense is readily apparent no matter which way you cut it.

I do recall seeing Tomlin holding that play card the ENTIRE game. So makes me believe he was calling plays from the get-go.

When Woodley was no longer playing like Woodley and Harrison was doing his stint in CIN or wherever, LeBeau changed to a bend don't break concept because he had no edge pressure. It wasn't the prettiest DEF, but worked to a large degree. The OFC was lacking.

THIS DEF has the same concept, but they're giving up TDs instead of FGs so the hole the OFC is getting into is deeper.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. It just doesn't make any sense why they keep rolling out the same failing schemes every week. As Tomlin used to say, "we don't coach in our fears"... Well it certainly looks like they are now. Fichtner can't get the running game going so he abandons it... Butler doesn't trust his DBs so he drops everyone & their dog into coverage... And Tomlin doesn't seem to know how to motivate this group anymore so he just plays cheerleader and lets the clowns rule the roost.

Its easy to see they need change. But nothing will happen. Tomlin will most likely get the team back to a 6-8 win record and keep his job. Then we can expect more of the same next year. We'd be lucky if Ben didn't up & retire out of exhaustion with this coaching staff. There's simply no reason to expect change with Tomlin in the building.

Yep...he'll rally the troops somehow and they'll post a record in the 8-9 win to keep his streak of no sub .500 record. If that happens I think he will keep his job like you said, and he's going to make Butler a sacrificial lamb.

I want to see the games played out 1st, but I'm getting the sense Ben is going to retire after the '19 season, and if the FO makes a change with Tomlin it will be after the '19 season.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep...he'll rally the troops somehow and they'll post a record in the 8-9 win to keep his streak of no sub .500 record. If that happens I think he will keep his job like you said, and he's going to make Butler a sacrificial lamb.

I want to see the games played out 1st, but I'm getting the sense Ben is going to retire after the '19 season, and if the FO makes a change with Tomlin it will be after the '19 season.
Yea the Rooney business model definitely dictates that we are in for at least a couple inept seasons before change occurs. The star players they have now deserve better. I wouldn't be surprised to see AB start drumming up the drama card again. He wants a championship badly, and it doesn't look like he'll ever get one here. Gotta be very frustrating to be in his position. Arguably the best player in the league and drowning on a squad that can't pull its head out of its ass.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea the Rooney business model definitely dictates that we are in for at least a couple inept seasons before change occurs. The star players they have now deserve better. I wouldn't be surprised to see AB start drumming up the drama card again. He wants a championship badly, and it doesn't look like he'll ever get one here. Gotta be very frustrating to be in his position. Arguably the best player in the league and drowning on a squad that can't pull its head out of its ass.

AB...the problem is obviously the DEF sucks, I mean flatout sucks, but the OFC has not really picked up any slack except for the KC game...the OFC got them back in it and faded late. I can see AB turning back into a diva if they don't get this turned around very soon.

The DEF problems. TE...they have yet to figure out how to defend a pass catching TE in the middle of the field. I do understand that Burnett's injury has kept their 3 safety subpkg off the field. At some point they're going to have to trust this kid Matthew Thomas and give him some reps if they can't get Burnett on the field soon...time is already running out.

OFC problems. OL continuity will help, but Ben has to play better, missing far too many 3rd down plays that's killing drives. I'm not too concerned about the running game because the DEF has been putting them behind 2 and 3 possessions, taking the running game out of the mix.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D (Tomlin's) is the obvious problem here but I'd still prefer Ridley to get a chance this Sunday.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The D (Tomlin's) is the obvious problem here but I'd still prefer Ridley to get a chance this Sunday.
To do what??? Run the ball 5 times all game!!! Conner isn't the problem with this offense. It has no balance even when they aren't behind. Once they get behind the run is completely forgotten. That's poor coaching and play calling. As I recall, there were were several games last year where we wondered why Bell wasn't used more. New OC but same old problem with play calling.

SJ20

F U Kovy/Parise
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Never said Connor was the problem. It's obvious we've been behind and the run abandoned, especially against KC and BAL. I just would like for Ridley to get more of a chance, plain and simple.
To do what??? Run the ball 5 times all game!!! Conner isn't the problem with this offense. It has no balance even when they aren't behind. Once they get behind the run is completely forgotten. That's poor coaching and play calling. As I recall, there were were several games last year where we wondered why Bell wasn't used more. New OC but same old problem with play calling.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of it is on Tomlin and Butler for sure, but I'm starting to feel like some of my buddies that don't wear the Steeler blinders that I do sometimes.

What I heard...Even with Shazier, PIT just doesn't have enough playmakers on DEF, without Shazier it's plain and simple...we're hoping to get good performances from Dupree, Burns, Bostic, Sutton, Davis...that's too many players that you're hoping to get a good performance from on a week to week basis.

Imagine instead of spending $15 mil per on Bell, spending that on a CB like a Richard Sherman, and a ILB like Todd Davis.

You'd be slightly over $15 mil but now you'd have 2 more proven impact position players on DEF. The FO used to go get key DEF in FA like Kevin Greene, etc.

Because they were focused on Bell, they missed being able to add more talented vet pcs to this DEF.

My point here is Tomlin is fucking up royally with the players they have, but they kinda pointed out some missteps by the FO...you can't lose a talent like Shazier on DEF and replace him with run of the mill talent and expect to be as good. Chasing after Bell the last 2 seasons(likely to appease Ben) was a mistake when the DEF had that many positions with unproven talent. Basically 5 players that are iffy on DEF...that's too many for a championship caliber DEF.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of it is on Tomlin and Butler for sure, but I'm starting to feel like some of my buddies that don't wear the Steeler blinders that I do sometimes.

What I heard...Even with Shazier, PIT just doesn't have enough playmakers on DEF, without Shazier it's plain and simple...we're hoping to get good performances from Dupree, Burns, Bostic, Sutton, Davis...that's too many players that you're hoping to get a good performance from on a week to week basis.

Imagine instead of spending $15 mil per on Bell, spending that on a CB like a Richard Sherman, and a ILB like Todd Davis.

You'd be slightly over $15 mil but now you'd have 2 more proven impact position players on DEF. The FO used to go get key DEF in FA like Kevin Greene, etc.

Because they were focused on Bell, they missed being able to add more talented vet pcs to this DEF.

My point here is Tomlin is fucking up royally with the players they have, but they kinda pointed out some missteps by the FO...you can't lose a talent like Shazier on DEF and replace him with run of the mill talent and expect to be as good. Chasing after Bell the last 2 seasons(likely to appease Ben) was a mistake when the DEF had that many positions with unproven talent. Basically 5 players that are iffy on DEF...that's too many for a championship caliber DEF.
I agree with most of this, but I still think this falls more on coaching than anything. The risk they took to draft unaccomplished players but still athletic freaks had to involve some sort of understanding & belief in their coaching staff. The FAs, to me, were definitely a result of the Bell situation. Burnett & Bostic are ok, but we knew long ago when they were signed that they weren't going to be the full-time starters that they need them to be.

Mangler

Dis-member
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The solution is a coaching change,(and I don't mean the OC again, or the DC) BUT WE ALL KNOW IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN, so the window for another Super bowl is slamming shut. It's a pity that all the talent on this team is being wasted.