• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Steeler 1st Qtr Review

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, so all this talk about putting in another RB is pointless cause Tomlin is never gonna do it. Until Bell comes back they'll run the wheels off Conner and when Bell's back they'll do the same with him.

If talking about things Tomlin is never gonna do is pointless, then what is there left to talk about?

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, situational football is forcing their hands.

Bottomline here...Bell not being here is not the reason they're 1-2-1. Giving up 116 points in 4 games is a much better reason imo.

Like I said, I agree that defense is the main priority, doesn't mean you forget all about the lack of running game that we have, situational football or not. When we give Conner the ball, no matter what the situation is, we should feel confident that he will be productive with those carries, no?

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, situational football is forcing their hands.

Bottomline here...Bell not being here is not the reason they're 1-2-1. Giving up 116 points in 4 games is a much better reason imo.
Agree and Conner isn't the reason either. Our sieve like D is!!! Having to score over 30 points a game to win is skewing the offensive play calling. It also puts the O in a bad situation where the other D knows we have to throw and can tee off on the pass rush. Ya know, it occurs to me that that is the same situation we used to like to put other teams in. My how the worm has turned.

So, all this talk about O is mostly pointless. We should be talking about how or if they can fix the D.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, all this talk about O is mostly pointless. We should be talking about how or if they can fix the D.

All this talk about fixing the D is pointless cause Tomlin is never gonna do it.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said, I agree that defense is the main priority, doesn't mean you forget all about the lack of running game that we have, situational football or not. When we give Conner the ball, no matter what the situation is, we should feel confident that he will be productive with those carries, no?
Wrong. The situational football is forcing them to abandon the run. It's hard to fully judge a running game that has averaged 10 runs the last 3 games because they've been forced to throw 60+ and overcome 2 TD deficits in the 1st quarter. When they could afford to run like in the Cleveland game Conner did well. It's impossible to feel any confidence in a running game we can't use because of our poor D.

It has nothing to do with the performance of any one RB. IMO even if Bell were here we'd be in the same boat running game wise because we couldn't afford to run due to constantly playing catch up due to our poor D. Until that D is fixed, it's pointless to discuss a running game we can't use anyway.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All this talk about fixing the D is pointless cause Tomlin is never gonna do it.
If he doesn't, the season is over cause you don't win many games giving up almost 30 point/game.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong. The situational football is forcing them to abandon the run. It's hard to fully judge a running game that has averaged 10 runs the last 3 games because they've been forced to throw 60+ and overcome 2 TD deficits in the 1st quarter. When they could afford to run like in the Cleveland game Conner did well. It's impossible to feel any confidence in a running game we can't use because of our poor D.

It has nothing to do with the performance of any one RB. IMO even if Bell were here we'd be in the same boat running game wise because we couldn't afford to run due to constantly playing catch up due to our poor D. Until that D is fixed, it's pointless to discuss a running game we can't use anyway.

You can't say that with a straight face. We would be more confident in Bell's ability to produce that we would hand him the ball. Bell averaged 5 ypc while we were trailing last year and over 4 ypc while we were leading. Conner is only producing 2.5 ypc while we are leading the game. I find it hard to support a running game that averages 2 ypc. While us trailing so much does affect how often we run the ball, it doesn't affect Conner's productivity, or lack thereof. That's on Conner and the O-line.

We can still discuss the running game and still recognize, like I have numerous times, that the defense is the main issue with this team.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't say that with a straight face. We would be more confident in Bell's ability to produce that we would hand him the ball. Bell averaged 5 ypc while we were trailing last year and over 4 ypc while we were leading. Conner is only producing 2.5 ypc while we are leading the game. I find it hard to support a running game that averages 2 ypc. While us trailing so much does affect how often we run the ball, it doesn't affect Conner's productivity, or lack thereof. That's on Conner and the O-line.

We can still discuss the running game and still recognize, like I have numerous times, that the defense is the main issue with this team.
I just did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You literally just said, "Until that D is fixed, it's pointless to discuss a running game we can't use anyway."

So which is it? Can we discuss the running game or can we not? Lol.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the DEF was in better shape I think we could evaluate Connor's performance a lot better, but the way most of the games have played out I'm not overly concerned about the running game....the situation dictates the carries.

I think the difference we're having is I think it would be nice if Connor had a 5ypc avg. but having that nice avg when you're down 2 scores has very little impact on the 1-2-1 record.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why not? He has more or less the same cast of players last year and they gave up a little over 300 pt total for the regular season.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why not? He has more or less the same cast of players last year and they gave up a little over 300 pt total for the regular season.

I was using EWA's words against him because he said the same thing about the running game. Not really my actual feelings lol

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the DEF was in better shape I think we could evaluate Connor's performance a lot better, but the way most of the games have played out I'm not overly concerned about the running game....the situation dictates the carries.

I think the difference we're having is I think it would be nice if Connor had a 5ypc avg. but having that nice avg when you're down 2 scores has very little impact on the 1-2-1 record.

I think that, while the defense ultimately is what has the harsher impact on our season right now, the running game is more of an issue than some think. Even in situations where we just feed him the ball while we are leading to play safe football, he still doesn't produce. Also, 32 of his carries, which is more than half, result in either a loss of yardage or a gain of less than 3 yards and only 6 of those rushes came when we were trailing.

All I'm saying is that it's something we might want to tinker with and try to get more production out. Not saying it's gonna change the entire landscape of our season, but anything to improve the negatives right now, I'm willing to try, and there are 2 glaring negatives on this team right now.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somebody is really triggered, eh @Ewa PGH Fan ?

It's called a debate/discussion. You've had one before right?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that, while the defense ultimately is what has the harsher impact on our season right now, the running game is more of an issue than some think. Even in situations where we just feed him the ball while we are leading to play safe football, he still doesn't produce. Also, 32 of his carries, which is more than half, result in either a loss of yardage or a gain of less than 3 yards and only 6 of those rushes came when we were trailing.

All I'm saying is that it's something we might want to tinker with and try to get more production out. Not saying it's gonna change the entire landscape of our season, but anything to improve the negatives right now, I'm willing to try, and there are 2 glaring negatives on this team right now.

TR...I understand what you're saying, but the Steelers haven't had the lead enough in the 4 games played to really make a definitive call on Connor's production.

The fumble vs CLE aside, if you recognize that even if Connor's production were better, the way the DEF has been playing the record would likely be the same, then I don't understand why you're laboring on the lack of production in the running game.

Doing so, to use an analogy, you're changing a flat tire on a car with a blown engine....you're still not going anywhere.

Ewa PGH Fan

Glade City, PA
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TR...I understand what you're saying, but the Steelers haven't had the lead enough in the 4 games played to really make a definitive call on Connor's production.

The fumble vs CLE aside, if you recognize that even if Connor's production were better, the way the DEF has been playing the record would likely be the same, then I don't understand why you're laboring on the lack of production in the running game.

Doing so, to use an analogy, you're changing a flat tire on a car with a blown engine....you're still not going anywhere.
I wish I could rate this comment a winner a thousand times over. Exactly what I've been saying the whole time.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For like the 8th time, I understand the defense is the main issue. I've never said it wasn't and I've never said that the running game is more of a priority. You guys keep reiterating the same thing that the defense is the issue and I've agreed with you all 8 times over. There is no help out there that we have access to for the defense. There just isn't, without getting a new coach mid-season. So, I'm just trying to have a discussion about something we can actually fix. If noone wants to have that discussion with me that's fine, but don't keep telling me the defense is the main issue like I'm disagreeing with you on that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For like the 8th time, I understand the defense is the main issue. I've never said it wasn't and I've never said that the running game is more of a priority. You guys keep reiterating the same thing that the defense is the issue and I've agreed with you all 8 times over. There is no help out there that we have access to for the defense. There just isn't, without getting a new coach mid-season. So, I'm just trying to have a discussion about something we can actually fix. If noone wants to have that discussion with me that's fine, but don't keep telling me the defense is the main issue like I'm disagreeing with you on that.

Okay, they're connected imo, but I understand you recognize the bigger problem, but you want to address fixing the running game.

I don't think you will be, but don't be offended.

No, I don't want to have the conversation. Talking about fixing the running game production while the DEF is getting their doors blown off every week is not very productive use of time...the car analogy that I gave you earlier applies.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, they're connected imo, but I understand you recognize the bigger problem, but you want to address fixing the running game.

I don't think you will be, but don't be offended.

No, I don't want to have the conversation. Talking about fixing the running game production while the DEF is getting their doors blown off every week is not very productive use of time...the car analogy that I gave you earlier applies.

Fair enough.

Was getting Eric Reid something we could've done or we just didn't have the money to do it?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair enough.

Was getting Eric Reid something we could've done or we just didn't have the money to do it?

Very much so. I really think Burns can be fixed...he has to learn how to recognize the dbl move, that's what's killing him. Burnett is a solid player but starting to look like another lame FA pick up. So far it looks like they aimed for the lower hanging FA fruit because they were earmarking so much capital to Bell's contract.