• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State your case

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a safety 8 yards away from him in that shot, and an LB (the guy standing on the 44) a few yards away from the passing lane. From Smith's perspective that is not a slam dunk, IMO. Missed opportunity, but he doesn't have the quick release cannon that makes that an easy pass.

The safety was 8 yards away when Mario was planting inside. That ball should've been half way there before Mario even made his plant. IF it was the safety would have had no chance at the ball. But like you said, maybe Alex thought something different pre-snap and made his decision, or maybe he didn't think he can drive it down the field in that capacity. Still, Mario looks to be clearly the better decision.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, it was an all-around fail, even if he gunned the ball the defense can make a great play on it.....but that ball was like 10% slower than his usual ball to boot. Almost seemed like he pushed it out of his hand a bit.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it was an all-around fail, even if he gunned the ball the defense can make a great play on it.....but that ball was like 10% slower than his usual ball to boot. Almost seemed like he pushed it out of his hand a bit.

I don't think it would have even been possible with PA fake. Manningham is only open (5-10 yards downfield, first picture) because of the PA, that LB would not have been so close to the LOS without the PA fake.

WIthout the PA fake, Manningham is covered.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jesus. How is that even a question? I don't see how you DON'T throw that ball to Manningham. That ball should've been out of there before Mario planted his foot.

But you should expect a response along the lines of, "HERP DERP, LOL, GO BACK TO ESPN BOARDSZ!"

Exactly! It wasn't as if Manningham came open suddenly at mid-field he was open from the moment he left the LOS - There was literally NO ONE covering him!! How Smith does NOT take advantage of that with the time he had to throw is incomprehensible. Unless, of course, you're ViperVisor then it makes perfect sense because even a fool can see Manningham is covered.

As for what he'll say, yep, based on what he has demonstrated thus far I'm sure he will say something both motivational and inspiring.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just to throw out a thought on this - Very clear on this pass was Alex Smith locking his front leg again. If I'm not mistaken one of the reasons he worked on this during the off-season was to help his passes have less flight and more velocity.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The safety was 8 yards away when Mario was planting inside. That ball should've been half way there before Mario even made his plant. IF it was the safety would have had no chance at the ball. But like you said, maybe Alex thought something different pre-snap and made his decision, or maybe he didn't think he can drive it down the field in that capacity. Still, Mario looks to be clearly the better decision.

And back-pedaling!

Respectfully, if Alex Smith honestly saw Manningham as covered on that play - then the time to change QB's is now!

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it would have even been possible with PA fake. Manningham is only open (5-10 yards downfield, first picture) because of the PA, that LB would not have been so close to the LOS without the PA fake.

WIthout the PA fake, Manningham is covered.

Actually Goat that is not true. #59 was within 4 yards of the LOS at the snap and was locked on Gore with or without the PA.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually Goat that is not true. #59 was within 4 yards of the LOS at the snap and was locked on Gore with or without the PA.

I'd don't know about being "locked in,"( it looked he was about to turn his hips towards Gore) but I agree.

By the way, nice screen shot of the play.

Gore would have a been a good option on the play too, since the DB and safety had their backs turned...Oh well....

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd don't know about being "locked in,"( it looked he was about to turn his hips towards Gore) but I agree.

By the way, nice screen shot of the play.

Gore would have a been a good option on the play too, since the DB and safety had their backs turned...Oh well....

Agreed! Thanks on the screen shot although I wish I knew how to make it fit the page better??

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith should have passed to Manningham or the receiver between the 40 and 30. Though, the pass to Manningham had to be thrown before he gets to 49er logo.

Based on Bem's pic, I agree with this. I'd have to see where everyone was when Smith should have started the throw (to Mannigham) to see whether it was an obvious "pass the ball!" play or if it cleared up by the time this pic was taken. I think it's the former, but I deleted the game from my DVR, as I am not a masochist. This has little to do with the pass being thrown to Walker. That (Walker pass), was a dead play in which I don't know why we are discussing that route; a hypothetical Manningham play is a live one, one in which belongs in threelittlebirds' post on missed opportunities.

49ermann

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
I think it disrupts the flow of the offense. They need to be more careful when they use it.

I agree. I feel like it was a bit forced against he Giants. Like the coaching staff was having so much fun with the "wildkap" that they just couldn't wait to throw it out there. Bringing in Kapernick after Smith's deep throw to Moss was a huge example of this. They had an opportunity to get back into the game but blew it on that possession. It's not a bad change of pace against an undisciplined defense. But a veteran group that has played together will be able to stop it.

Sometimes you just have to line up and play football. In the second quarter the jumbo packed turned a 3rd and 1 into a 3rd and 6. If Brandon Jacobs is activated I don't see the need for the extra linemen. Just line up in the Power I and run it forward. That's what you singed him for. These "cute" creative ways to use players can sometimes backfire.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
if you're not 'creative', fans rant all over it. when you try to be creative.......if it works, it is brilliant. if it doesn't work, fans can rant all over it.

in the larger picture, we're trying to make it hard to defenses to prepare. if they're not as prepared seeing certain formations, another QB, etc., we supposedly have more opportunity for success.

hindsight.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you're not 'creative', fans rant all over it. when you try to be creative.......if it works, it is brilliant. if it doesn't work, fans can rant all over it.

in the larger picture, we're trying to make it hard to defenses to prepare. if they're not as prepared seeing certain formations, another QB, etc., we supposedly have more opportunity for success.

hindsight.

So which one are you? The fan who rants when creativity is absent or the fan who rants when creativity is unsuccessful, or both?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

hindsight.

I guess I see it as all the WildKaep being used against the Jets/Bills was to cause the Giants to spend more time preparing for it and then after they already spent so much time preparing, then it doesn't matter whether you use it or not this game. Keep them guessing when or even if it would be used. Then, maybe when the Giants appear to be in a lull or unprepared, stike them with it. If it is for sure going to be used, then the teams just prepare for our QBs as a tandem with all the plays and abilities, no guessing/surprise. But this is because I see the Giants game as a bigger game than others (not in importance, but in difficulty - division games are more important) and I see the Giants as being better than most. Then, when we face New England, they may think we won't use Kaep in a big game, but then we do, strategically and not overly cute.

The Giants already used their time preparing, there was no benefit to using him if it didn't have a strategic point in using him during the game. I'm talking about this game, this important game, not for future opponents. (Yes, every game is important, but it's just my opinion, that this game was bigger than, say, a non-division NFC game.) Take the first drive, we didn't need him in order to get Gore a two yarder on 3rd and 6. I suppose Kaep could have checked out of a covered pass, that I don't know. It just seemed we were using him just to use him there. Then, after the 55-yarder to Moss, I suppose the Giants could have potentially been caught off-guard, but I would have preferred the guy that got him there. Then, to finish the third quarter, either leave Kaep in the whole 4 downs (three) or put Smith back in on 2nd down.

I know it's in hindsight, but I didn't agree with it when it happened because it didn't look like it was going to make him look brilliant.

Last edited by a moderator: