• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

State of Mind for LA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am in the same boat. Not sure how we all of sudden have $7mil in cap space. It seems to be from Quick's LTIR (Like Chicago got when Patrick Kane missed all of that time a few years ago).

Decent read (Despite some grammar errors. haha).

Entertaining ideas of trading Muzzin or Martinez to fill offensive whoas is just dumb. We already saw what happened when Martinez was hurt last year.

LoCal Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure this totally accurate, but here is my interpretation of LTIR and the cap hit:

As long as a player is on LTIR, a NHL club can re-coop a certain % of their daily cap hit. The longer the player is on LTIR, and the more games that the club plays, the larger that $$$ is in terms of "recoup-able" cap hit.

The Kings began the season with very little cap space. But burying Scuderi, and eventually Purcell, in the AHL buys a little bit of cap space ($950K each). Add those numbers to Quick's LTIR number, and they have $6-$7M in cap space (until (if) Quick comes off LTIR). I believe the Hawks got away with it the other year because Patrick Kane didn't come back until playoffs (hence, they had plenty of deadline cap space to acquire Ladd?)

What I didn't see in the article was any mention of Expansion Draft. If the Kings choose to only protect 3 D, they likely loose Forbort, or Muzz, whoever is left unprotected. If that is the logic, I think the article would suggest: "why not trade one d-man for a forward instead of loosing one to expansion???"

Personally, I think the Kings protect 4 d-men at the Expansion Draft. Assuming they don't loose McNabb (UFA 2018), then I think Lombardi makes a move for a forward for next season. Conclusion: no moves until NHL Draft.

davnlaguna

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,636.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quicks injury only helps the cap space at the trade deadline if he stays out for the whole season. The Kings have about 1.5 mil in cap space ( it might be less but for math pretend it is that) That savings gets banked. So at mid season they could sign someone for 3 mil. At 3/4 season 4.5 million. If Quick stays out (pretend he makes 6 mil) that jumps to 10.5 they can spend.
There is more and my numbers are just examples.
Also there is a thing called tagging. You have to show how any players signed will fit into next years cap. So that 10.5 number is for a pure rental ( expiring deal) unless Quick is gone for good. So yes there will be more space, it is tricky to use and other teams will have little to more than the Kings.