• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Star Wars: The Acolyte

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if a youngling was not strong enough in the Force,and did not get a Master, at least in Legends, they would be sent on other assignments such as the Jedi Agricultural Corps. So the young adult would be ‘taken care of’

But you bring up a good point, some families probably would not have wanted their kid to be taken by the order. In one of the recent Old Republic MMO trailers, there are two siblings that are orphaned, and the Jedi comes to take one of them, not both, due to the strength of the Force in the sister, leaving the brother behind.

Nothing comes to mind where the Empire is glorified, other than The Old Republic where the Republic and Sith Empire work together to take down Vitiate/Valkorion, and how Thrawn came to join the Empire.

again.. just watching acolyte, and it is clear to me that the jedi are not the god guys... at least not in this story... but it feels weird, because we are seeing it still through the jedi's are the good guys lens... so we are still rooting for them...

i guess the only thing that keeps the jedi on the "right" side is that they dont kill unarmed people... and they have more of a code...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think exploring the Jedi as a somewhat corrupt ancient order is not necisarily a bad thing. Their practice of “taking” young kids who are “force sensitive” has always been the closed closet of the SW universe. And there were many sideways glances between Yoda and Windu in the prequels that hinted at quite a bit of political cleansing going on off camera. Not to mention the whole Ahsoka storyline and her leaving the order.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
again.. just watching acolyte, and it is clear to me that the jedi are not the god guys... at least not in this story... but it feels weird, because we are seeing it still through the jedi's are the good guys lens... so we are still rooting for them...

i guess the only thing that keeps the jedi on the "right" side is that they dont kill unarmed people... and they have more of a code...
They are definitely making them to be grey, at best. It is a different aspect Of the storytelling for sure.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think exploring the Jedi as a somewhat corrupt ancient order is not necisarily a bad thing. Their practice of “taking” young kids who are “force sensitive” has always been the closed closet of the SW universe. And there were many sideways glances between Yoda and Windu in the prequels that hinted at quite a bit of political cleansing going on off camera. Not to mention the whole Ahsoka storyline and her leaving the order.

seems more corrupt than not corrupt.... especially since it seems like they create the siths themselves.... it seems to me, if the jedi's were not such tight wods, the dark side would not be seen as evil, and maybe some of their enemies would not have become enemies...

sure there will always be bad eggs, especially when given power.. but when you are told you are a bad egg because you found the dark side, it is much easier to become evil...

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, let’s not forget when the Jedi Temple was constructed on Coruscant, it was constructed on top of an extremely powerful nexus of the Dark Side.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has there been a show/cartoon about the first Jedis?? it would be interesting to see why they are so afraid of the dark side and other similar powers like witches and others...

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
has there been a show/cartoon about the first Jedis?? it would be interesting to see why they are so afraid of the dark side and other similar powers like witches and others...
There is not. This is the furthest back any canonical source has gone.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. The furthest back references go are in Star Wars: Fallen Order with with Zeffo, and they have yet to be explored further than that. Otherwise, the Acolyte is the furthest back any TV/movies go so far. The High Republic novels/comics go back a little further than that. Nothing approaches even the Revsn/Knights of the Old Republic timeframe either.

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah. So turns out Sol is just a dumbass
Pretty much what I gathered.

Also, very surprised that they spent an entire episode on a flashback.

Am I also supposed to believe that Trinity Indara had enough power to not only kill the witch who possessed the Wookiee, but also by proxy, killed the rest who were chanting? And she got bested by a pretend Acolyte, who is granted, still powerful in Force potential? God, this show writing has been awful.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much what I gathered.

Also, very surprised that they spent an entire episode on a flashback.

Am I also supposed to believe that Trinity Indara had enough power to not only kill the witch who possessed the Wookiee, but also by proxy, killed the rest who were chanting? And she got bested by a pretend Acolyte, who is granted, still powerful in Force potential? God, this show writing has been awful.

Everything is forgiven if you use the ol' "killed because you were protecting the innocent" trick.

It was annoying...but not as annoying as the "I won't kill an unarmed person" deal. Yeah, dude just mowed down your entire platoon of Jedis but because you disarmed him in combat it's all good.

Sol, at least as portrayed in this show, is the dumbest f*cking person in Jedi history. I want him to eat it so bad. Just give me this Disney.

lilchi721

Hoopla Cash
$ 20,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what Mother Koril's role in all of this is since she didn't die among the witches?

ThomasTomasz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder what Mother Koril's role in all of this is since she didn't die among the witches?
She’s a Zabrak, and I wonder if there is some sort of implication that she is the parent of Maul.

But it’s clear, no body no death, unless she was the one who possessed Kelnacca.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some pretty cool fight scenes in the finale (and the series as a whole). Not enough to save it though. I'd give the series a middling C. It's not terrible but it left a lot to be desired

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some pretty cool fight scenes in the finale (and the series as a whole). Not enough to save it though. I'd give the series a middling C. It's not terrible but it left a lot to be desired
Agreed.

The writing was average, at best.
The idea of a mystery and an investigation were good.
The idea of Jedi being grey is an area worth exploring.

It was just hard to invest in any of the characters or understand their motivations.
I felt invested in the pocket droid the most.....

Back up a truck full of cash to Tony Gilroy's house and beg him to help out on the writing for any future Star Wars series.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.

The writing was average, at best.
The idea of a mystery and an investigation were good.
The idea of Jedi being grey is an area worth exploring.

It was just hard to invest in any of the characters or understand their motivations.
I felt invested in the pocket droid the most.....

Back up a truck full of cash to Tony Gilroy's house and beg him to help out on the writing for any future Star Wars series.

i agree... and i wish the path to the darkside was more than I AM ANGRY NOW!!!

But the fact that the dark side is so easy to find is proof that the jedis ARE the problem in this galaxy... maybe the empire were the good guys!!!!

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The budget of the show really showed in the “costumes” of the Jedi. They were all just diverse humanoids, except the one ape-dude (and the Wookiee). No mention of Plaguies. No mention of Tenebrus. A vague cameo by Yoda.

None of the characters were likable, ESPECIALLY the “head” Jedi (she was horrible from the jump).

I wasn’t bothered by the witches. They are a group that has is well set in canon, so go for it. This sect was different from what we have seen to date, but that is fine, imho. I had more trouble with the twink Jedi we met in the last few episodes than I did with any of the witches.

i also had no problem with exploring the “darker side” of the Jedi. As I have said previously, the whole “kidnapping kids” angle has always been a dark corner of the lore that wasn’t talked about.

But the execution of all these ideas was bad. Like I said, none of the characters were likable at all, so when one died, or betrayed others, I just didn’t care. There was also the over-the-top sexualization of multiple males inside a show that was clearly “you go girl”. That just felt preachy and “in your face”.

Overall, I would give the show as a whole a 5.5/10

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL

I just found that the “head Jedi” is actually Leslye Headland’s wife.

Who is surprised by that? Seriously?

BusSport

Mountain Goat Racer
Hoopla Cash
$ 115,625,688.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Amandla Stenberg drops a diss track: :L :L :L